Mobile Project Vehicles

Having read through this thread, I think it is up to the individual that if he/she wants to take a chance on the wording then it is up to them, if they get caught and done then so be it, but how many od our policeman know all the rules there is.

Just a thought :)

Just to expand on this for a second. Lets look at the exemptions that are used.

The Pre 1960 exemption is the one that is used the most, and it allows drivers of these vehicles to drive a large truck on a car licence with no MOT. These vehicles have to be UNLADEN. If you then convert your REO into a camper you are no longer complying with this exemption as you have then committed a CHANGE OF USE by carrying goods. The truck should then be tested every year and the driver licenced on a Cat C licence.

There is also the Agri/recovery route. I know a dealer of the Zil 131's goes down this route. Well you are then restricted to so many miles away from base and so many miles a week. How many on here have this exemption?

We then have the MPV exemption. This seems to me more of a legal use of the exemption system than the other two mainly because the primary role of a military vehicle at a show is to EXHIBIT it.

The pre 1960 exemption is fine as long as the vehicle is UNLADEN and is not towing a LADEN trailer. A cool box, pack of beer and chairs would constitute a LOAD and therefor the driver would be committing an offence. How many people on here using the pre 1960 exemption do so with absolutely NOTHING in the back of their trucks??? Because that is the only legal way of using this exemption. Every single truck I've seen at a show (esp REO's) are loaded to the gills with kit, this is against the law.

The agri/recovery route doesn't need any explaining as it's pretty obvious these trucks aren't tractors for agri use, but they still get the exemption. How many on here use this?

In my eyes the only exemption coming close to being accurate is the "display and educational" one. You are displaying the vehicle and educating people. All the arguments so far on this thread about not being able to use it with your camping gear in the back is irrelevant as all the owners of the pre 1960 vehicles are doing exactly the same thing. Carrying goods that you shouldn't be.

Yes, you are not SUPPOSED to use the vehicle for any other use when on an MPV exemption apart from displaying it at a show, but like I've said your not supposed to put kit in the back of your REO either.

I think it's a perfectly reasonable exemption if you do say 6 shows a year totaling 500 miles and maybe the odd run out to give the truck a run (yes it's not strictly allowed). Remember even fitting a bed and cooking your dinner in the back of your truck changes it's use and therefor results in you breaking the terms of your exemption.

Everyone has their own interpretation of the rules. If we observed them to the letter then there would be very little if none military vehicles to look at at shows.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...
Hi

I am going down the plating at 7500kgs and class 4 MOT route.

M

I know this is late Martin (date posted)

As your truck is 1954, what are you plating it at 7.5ton as it would be MOT exempt as it's pre 1960. What are you using it for?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Sorry for the late reply.

I wanted to use it with a load as a camper . It is now downrated to 7500kg in V5.

Due to a change of circumstances it is now for sale on Milweb under heavy vehicle classifieds and will be on E Bay shortly.

Martin

Hello mate,

I take it you have now MOT'd the truck? Does this mean that the truck will need an MOT from now on, or does the exemption still apply?

Got any decent pictures of the truck? What engine do you have fitted to it and does it have the 5 speed overdrive gearbox in it? I saw your truck at Trucks and Troops last year, wish I hade a better look at it now!!!:-\

• 3 years later...

Hi

My New Bedford MK is registerd as a mobile home....but it does have a sound stage on the back...the whole of the side of the truck ( not back put side) folds out and becomes a stage for a sound system......wouldent this class as exibition (especaly if it was excibitioning and education via the stage)

526966_372890402779528_145924617_n.jpg

$T2eC16RHJHsFGku(cqGhBSBOpRn-B!~~60_12.JPG

$T2eC16FHJHQFFhho(iz3BSBOp,Q6EQ~~60_12.JPG

246470_4224680892028_884740060_n.jpg

it got its mot just a couple of months ago.....and as far as i can tell its got all the stuff to make it legal for a camper in it....just the side comes down aswell...but yes its a bit scetchy.....but this little beauty is heading to Africa eventualy and when she is out the uk i dont expect her to come back to the Uk any time soon

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/22/2009 at 9:57 PM, Marmite!! said:

But unless I've read your posts wrong, are you saying anyone can just call their vehicle a MPV if they think it meets the criteria without registering it as such:confused:

From reading this:

(iii) in such circumstances that by virtue of paragaph 22 of Schedule 2 to the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 the vehicle is not chargeable with duty in respect of its use on public roads,

it suggests that a MPV is a Tax Class & if so must be registered as such to claim the exemption...

Paragraph 22 of Schedule 2 relates to it not being taxable if being delivered or retrieved from a compulsory test, such as MoT test, for which no vehicle is required to have road tax.