How sad are these pictures..?!

Austin

I have questioned this photo before on another forum, the ambulance which is side on, appears to have a Bedford MW or OY bonnet. It cannot be one of the rare Bedford ML ambulances because the front wing is further forward from the bulkhead on them.

The side of the body has a piece of canvas removed, hence the odd appearance.

Whats happening on the K2 side on to the shot, What is that on the side of the body, ahead of the Red Cross? (Its probably meant to be there, never really studied them, but it looks odd to me?

Mike,

Do you mean the vertical exhaust pipe? Side panels have stretched canvas covering and that is missing forward of the ex. pipe.

But if they didn’t meet the gas axe then they wouldn’t be rare now. Back then supply outstripped demand and probably would still today. Just take a walk around any commercial breakers, or even Witham’s tender sale with the rows of Bedford TM’s lined up. Very recently the high price of scrap steel lead to a lot of collectables being weighed in, but only because they were worth more in scrap value, on the up side the ones remaining will be worth more and will be saved. Unfortunately common vehicles are not very collectable unless it’s a Jeep and more of those met the gas axe than survived.

The pic appears to be a dump in Germany after the war's end

Later than the end of the war. All the vehicles have the post-1947 WD VRN's and I can see one vehicle with letters starting in "R" showing it as a post war rebuild. I put the photos as mid-Fifties, in fact as these pics have been on another forum sometime ago, I think that was the opinion then.

But if they didn’t meet the gas axe then they wouldn’t be rare now. Back then supply outstripped demand and probably would still today.

Yeah, you are dead right, but the appeal for me to these vehicles isn't just how rare they are. If Bedford MWs were as common as Morris Minors, I'd still dream of owning one, the difference would be that they would be easier to find and cheaper to buy.

:)

• 1 month later...