scammell wiring

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reveiwing the Explorer gallery posts#13 shows three pin socket, as does #548 Sir Winston, #566 "Ark Royal", #669, an RAF explorer.

Post #103 is not that clear, could be either concentric or three pin.

Post #440 shows one with a later concentric plug/ the same as #02 of this thread.

Do we know of an Emer that called for the chageing of the three pin socket, to the later Concentric socket.

Edited by antarmike

And the purpose of the 3rd pin has not yet been established. Could it be for earthing?

These vehicles used an insulated Negative return system (i.e. all negatives wired back to battery), so the idea of a wired earth would make sense. Is the pin earthed on your socket Mike?

It seems to be linked to the negative pin, and is itself grounded to the chassis.

The reason the third pin is not connected on the Thornycroft, is that is Positive Earth, wereas the Scammell is Negative earth. Leaving it unconnected on the Thornycroft means a common jumper cable could be used for either standard.

Edited by antarmike

Hi all ,thanks for all the comments and tec data i am now more confused than ever. there is allso a electrical socket on the rear of the lorry in yellow alli ,it has been disconected what is it for ?plus a two pine like on land rovers i think this is for a lead light possibley:???

Hi all ,thanks for all the comments and tec data i am now more confused than ever. there is allso a electrical socket on the rear of the lorry in yellow alli ,it has been disconected what is it for ?plus a two pine like on land rovers i think this is for a lead light possibley:???

Are we talking about a socket with four radial flat pins every 90 degrees?

The two pin socket is probably for the trailer tail light.

Before the days of standardised 7 pin plugs, brake lights and indicators, two pins were all that was needed for the trailer's single tail light.

Tha large aluminium socket does sound like the one for Warner electric brakes that Mike mentions.

Is the cap about 4" diameter with indentations around the edge for grip.

Is there a dummy male thread next to it to store the cap when the socket is in use ?

Are there 4 connections on the back, if you can see them ?

The four pins are;

earth

tail light

brake light

brake operation

If the vehicle is fitted for towing electrically braked trailers it will have a large variable resistor, a bit like a Scalextric car controller, connected to the brake pedal.

It may have the socket without the resistor just for operating the lights on air braked trailers.

Tha large aluminium socket does sound like the one for Warner electric brakes that Mike mentions.

Is the cap about 4" diameter with indentations around the edge for grip.

Is there a dummy male thread next to it to store the cap when the socket is in use ?

Are there 4 connections on the back, if you can see them ?

Graham, is this the type you are talking about? I don't think mine has any innards. I have the concentric type inter vehicle lead socket and a small two pin connector for accessories in the cab on the passenger side bulkhead. I plug my beacon in this with two split pins.

connector.jpg

what you are saying does make sense,behind the the metal pannel used to mount the rear electrical sockets there is a bank of relays and next to the sockets some switches like the high low light switch in the cab ,and a small green and red light mounted on the near side .do you think this could be some kind of signaling to the cab as there was some lights mounted on the dash also red and green.

Andi's Scammell had relays behind a panel on the rear cross member As far as i could work out they were linked to the convoy/tail light switch. (bakelite) you refer to.

Andi's had a mod though, a bell push on about 5 meteres of cable, taked onto end od chassis rail. This worked a horn in the cab. (not normal horn. Presumably so a winchman could alert the driver to a problem when winching, to tell him to stop???

Some Explorers where fitted with a Bakelite switch on the off side of the rear chassis to switch off the brake lights in sneaky secret stealth mode, could it be to do a similar thing?

Round switch base 2-5/8" dia, 3 mounting holes with a lever sticking out of the side? http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:kGwhTNMoTnYJ:https://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp%3Fsg%3D%26pgCode%3D020%26sgName%3DElectrical%26pgName%3DSwitches%26agCode%3D0550%26agName%3DMiscellaneous%2BLucas%2BSwitches%26pCode%3D31001+lucas+switch+31001&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=uk

Got several NOS :-D

Radiomike 7

hi mate thoughs switches are the same as i mentioned but mine seem to have only two conections ,whereas the head lights have three one switchis conected to the red light not sure where the other goes.:???

Radiomike 7

hi mate thoughs switches are the same as i mentioned but mine seem to have only two conections ,whereas the head lights have three one switchis conected to the red light not sure where the other goes.:???

Switch is a 3 terminal single pole 2 way so can be used as a dip switch or a simple on/off using 2 terminals.

Switch is a 3 terminal single pole 2 way so can be used as a dip switch or a simple on/off using 2 terminals.

thanks for that.

i have also another question, at the moment i have a standerd 7 pin plug for trailer lights, i have a millitary socket one for the lorry and one for the trailer the wires are numbered but i do not know what wire goes to which function. i have looked in the manual but it postdates this. :confused:

ps, all help gratfully receved.:-D

thanks for that.

i have also another question, at the moment i have a standerd 7 pin plug for trailer lights, i have a millitary socket one for the lorry and one for the trailer the wires are numbered but i do not know what wire goes to which function. i have looked in the manual but it postdates this. :confused:

ps, all help gratfully receved.:-D

hi phil you can take a reeding of my socket if you wont:idea::idea::idea::idea:

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for that.

i was talking to a chap the other day about the rolls engine, he enquired about the vehicle i was putting it into ,he them said that when he worked in the reme works at warminster they took delivery of some scammells and that in 1950 they were classed as heavy salvage vehiles and as such they had a red becon not an orange one but were later down graded to medium recovery and had a orange becon. i have spoken to a serving MP and he said that if it is so then i can have a red becon as long as it is not used to to deceive or misslead as i have never seen one with a red becon i would like to know if this was correct.:???