scammell wiring

According to C and U regs a vehicle may not show a red light to the front of a vehicle. If the beacon is on the cab roof it cannot be red. Reg 11 says that beacons may only be Blue, Amber, Green or Yellow depending on the use of the vehicle to which they are fitted. I would say the answer to "can I fit a red beacon?" is a double no, but this is my own interpetion of the regs, and may not represent the view of the Forum.

Edited by antarmike

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to C and U regs a vehicle may not show a red light to the front of a vehicle. If the beacon is on the cab roof it cannot be red. Reg 11 says that beacons may only be Blue, Amber, Green or Yellow depending on the use of the vehicle to which they are fitted. I would say the answer to "can I fit a red beacon?" is a double no, but this is my own interpetion of the regs, and may not represent the view of the Forum.

yes i know what you mean but if it is any thing like the cars i work on the regs that apply are those at the date of manufacture and if it has been registered abroad its all differant even if of british manufacture. i was wondering if that would also apply to american vehicles eg fire engines .

i have seen american engine in britain with a red light it displayed an alabamar plate + english plates.:??? still did any british recovery vehicle display a red becon at any period , i am still none the wiser?:???

It is worth remembereing that the regs also forbid the fitting of warning beacons or special warning lights to vehicles not permitted to use them, and this includes non working beacons, or even "a device resembling such" so I would forget about red. even if it was once used it is no allowed now. There is no exemption in terms of "used before 19?? or the like"

It is worth remembereing that the regs also forbid the fitting of warning beacons or special warning lights to vehicles not permitted to use them, and this includes non working beacons, or even "a device resembling such" so I would forget about red. even if it was once used it is no allowed now. There is no exemption in terms of "used before 19?? or the like"

thanks antarmike it seems your correct i dont wont to get in trouble with the police got enough trouble paying for all the fuel:shake:

• 2 weeks later...

need help

i am trying to get the rev counter to work.i have fitted a rolls 265 to no nuts from an ERF ,i took out the electronic rev counter and grafted it into another set of clocks and then fitted them. i did not take much notice of the wiring as i thought it went to the alternater,(it does not) there is a censor on the clutch housing? there is 3 wires coming out of rev counter, can you help ?:confused:

need help

i am trying to get the rev counter to work.i have fitted a rolls 265 to no nuts from an ERF ,i took out the electronic rev counter and grafted it into another set of clocks and then fitted them. i did not take much notice of the wiring as i thought it went to the alternater,(it does not) there is a censor on the clutch housing? there is 3 wires coming out of rev counter, can you help ?:confused:

This one took hours out of my life too, the answer is so simple you won't believe it! Assuming it is the same as an L10 fitted to an ERF.

If the sender is a small cylinder with a couple of wires sticking out that looks like an old bicycle dynamo, that's just what it is, as the revs rise so does the current, this works to pull the rev counter needle round (dunno how!)

Just run both wires to the rev counter and connect them up, if it doesn't work reverse the wires. no other power is needed.

• 2 weeks later...

i have heard that some scamells have got a gearbox pressure switch that illuminates a light at low pressure,:??? do they also have a pressure gauge or is it one or the other.all my mates only have a pressure gauge.

gps,

Sorry, I didn't read your post carefully enough. The battery I told you about is cylindrical, for a later model meter, I think.

Maybe the one you need is the 10F20 or BLR121. Available from the small battery company or Maplin. does it look like this?

10F20-BLR121.jpg

it is the same bat that i got with it 6 years ago so it has not done bad.i have had 3 digital meters in that time ,they dont like to be droped ,used in the rain or used for long periods, bat gose flat :(:(. dont make them like they used to :yay: