CVRT Scorpion restoration.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hubs for one side have now been stripped and cleaned/overhauled where necessary. The oil in there has probably been in since build as it was black and stinky with the consistency of treacle! It should be engine oil but EP90 had been used. As a consequence of the seals having been cleaned up (a rather strange rubber ring and steel top hat arrangement) the hubs rotate much more freely.

I took the assemblies for the other side to work yeterday and stripped and cleaned them there as we have recently acquired a rather good hot parts washer. Its like a dish washer crossed with a steam cleaner and takes a lot of effort out of degreasing. You just set the timer and go do something else!

Just 3 more assemblies to blast now and then the painting can begin. I'm only about 3 weeks behind where I wanted to be (time scale set 12 months ago) with this project.

Scorpion - 096..jpg

Image025..jpg

Image024..jpg

• 5 weeks later...

With all the radial arms and hubs now having been stripped, blasted and overhauled, painting has begun using my new HVLP spray gun which I find to be very forgiving of poor technique! (Just starting out spraying...) First coat is just etch primer. Will be going over the first coat with more etch primer ut with some green added so I can see which bits I miss. Once all the radial arms and lower hull are painted, I can reassemble it all.

Scorpion - 111..jpg

Scorpion - 109..jpg

Scorpion - 112..jpg

• 2 months later...

A bit more progress recently. The radial arms have had two coats of green as has the lower hull on one side. Getting the feel of my spray gun now, it really is very forgiving. I have also put the first coat of etch primer on the other set of radial arms tonight.

Next job is to fit them to the hull, fit the torsion bars and set the arm heights.

One slight problem in between coats of paint is that a bit of oil has dribbled (unnoticed) out of some of the hub seals so the next coat has not stuck in places. Most of the its will never be seen but I will endeavor to put it right as I know about these flaws and they will bug me!

I now have an added incentive to get on with this project as the shed it lives in is being refloored and some divisions put in so I need to get the hull mobile in the next 12 weeks.

Image051.jpg

Image050.jpg

Todays progress. A pile of painted radial arms and a rack of freshly primed radial arms. Of course with them off the rack I could see the bits I missed!

Also getting the hang of editing the colour on my pictures- I only have the camera on my phone.

Image096.jpg

Image095.jpg

More progress today. Another coat of primer and a top coat on the radial arms for the L/H/S (paint still wet in photo!) and final bit of stripping and then primer on the L/H/S lower hull.

R.H/S radial arm bushed cleaned, stub axles cleaned and seals replaced, radial arm oil seals refurbished and arms fitted to axles (using a bit of Molycote chain grease as assembly lube; its damn slippery!). ALso cleaned up the bolts for the torsion bars which will be fettled and fitted soon.

And yes I know that the damper arm is bent but I couldn't get the nut off with the arm off the vehicle, so will try and remove it when the radial arm is secured. At least it will stay still!

Image011.jpg

Image014.jpg

Image010.jpg

Edited by Grasshopper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bit more done yesterday now that I've recovered form Beltring. 2nd coat applied to hull side, radial arm seals refitted, stub axle seals replaced as required and radial arms refitted. Torsion bars have been cleaned up and the ends primed. Will paint them green before fitting. I like this putting things back on business. :D

Image001#1.jpg

Image000#1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more done, all the torsion bars have been fettled and fitted. Next up is to strip and repaint the wheels, then we have a rolling chassis.:D

Still have one final drive to strip and rebuild, plus strip, repaint and fit the dampers. Once these bits are done, I can fit the tracks.

Who says restoration isn't hi-tech? Took my laptop as it had a pdf on how to refit the torsion bars. They need to be preset to a specific height.

Image008.jpg

Image009.jpg

Image007.jpg

Image010.jpg

• 3 months later...

Another update....

All the wheels have been shot blasted (by a small local company, it was quicker than me doing it), painted and fitted. The front pair of wheels each side has been left off to make fitting the final drives easier.

The interior has been painted, and the first components refitted being the handbrake mechanism and fittings for the handbrake bands. This brake bands need to go on before the final drives are fitted.

The final drive (which was seized) was stripped down and we found that the sun gears in the epicyclic reduction were seized and the hub bearings were u/s. The sun gears unsiezed after some work and a lot of WD40, new hub bearings were provided from Chris G at Redhill bearings. The assembly has been reassembled and the next job will be to fit the final drives to the hull which hopefully will be done before christmas.

Image009#1.jpg

Image006.jpg

Image014#1.jpg

Image005.jpg

Image013.jpg

Image014.jpg

• 4 months later...

Had a day on the Scorpion today. Final drives were refitted a while back, but I hadn't managed to get one of the hubs off, decided it would be easier in situ. This was duly stripped and cleaned, and found to be in good condition.

We also got one of the handbrake cables fitted (once we figured out exactly which holes to use), and discovered the other (recently acquired) cable is missing a couple of fittings. Now we are starting to refit bits we can find out what we are missing, but also how much we have forgotten since we took it apart!

My friend stripped the alternator for a quick inspection and it was full of mud/crud/stuff (see big pile of detritus in picture!) He patiently cleaned it out and then removed and inspected the commutator and brushes which seem fine.

We also had to remove the hub caps as most have leaked oil and fitted paper gaskets that I made over christmas.

We have also begun to overhaul the turret floor rollers and hope to fit the fuel tank soon.

Image017.jpg

Image022.jpg

Image024.jpg

Image018.jpg

Image021.jpg

Image023.jpg

• 5 months later...

Vince,

when you took all the suspension fittings off the hull did you find some kind of goo that was used between the components and the hull?

What did you use when going back together?

We have an idler unit off the hull and are wondering what to use, I was thinking Loctite 263

R

Vince,

when you took all the suspension fittings off the hull did you find some kind of goo that was used between the components and the hull?

What did you use when going back together?

We have an idler unit off the hull and are wondering what to use, I was thinking Loctite 263

R

We have covered this subject before, it is a zinc chromate paint produced for marine use. This is what we used in REME workshops when rebuilding suspensions on to Fox and CVR(T).

Link here ; http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?15062-CVRT-hull-sealant&highlight=chromate

I can confirm that I used a zinc chromate paste, with a non-setting one used for the final drives (it was a bit more expensive than the one I used on the hull-suspension fittings).

Unfortunately this project has had to take a back seat for the time being due to other commitments.

• 4 months later...

After quite a long hiatus I have returned to this project. Hopefully by the end of this week it will be at the rolling chassis stage, with all of the external drive train componenets refitted. We will be fitting new rear track tensioners, NOS front sprockets and it will have a full complement of dampers (now I have found the last one, and the 2 link arms that I'd put somewhere safe!).

The hub caps had to be removed, stripped and painted again as the gaskets had failed and the oil caused the paint to lift. I have made new gaskets to go with them.

The handbrake and main brake assemblies are nearlly all in, new seal kits for the master cylinders have been ordered. I've also had access to a shot blaster, so did the turret basket and rear turret bin.

I've also included a couple of "as found" pictures.

ScorpRear.jpg

Photo0020.jpg

Photo0024.jpg

Photo0025.jpg

Photo0026.jpg

Photo0027.jpg

Photo0028.jpg

ScorpFront.jpg

• 3 months later...