Is it worth.................

Mark

Question

20 answers to this question

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

They are indeed expensive,look in marine chandlery,i bought mine at a sensable price when a chandlers was closing down,they dont sell many as most modern boats are 12v.but normally keep one on the shelf.I have to say it was money well spent,i lost 4 huge batteries due to lack of use and poor charging.The one i have is permantly connected and goes on float ,it also helps to run everything when in port.Previous to that i had 2 cheapie charges and a timer which came on once a week so it would start when i arrived.Couldnt live with out it now.

If you dont have a 24v then I assume you have to charge each battery independently, (not being thick just confirming)

Thats correct Mark.

Mark, yes you can certainly charge one at a time on 12v. But many of us will leave a battery on charge overnight. It's a real pain to then have remember to charge up the other battery. Not only is it a fiddle to remember both of them, but it doubles the charging time.

A few years ago I got fed up up with piddly chargers in fragile fancy plastic boxes with LEDs & claims of having "intelligence".

At the time Halfords sold this SIP charger & they were about £75. But it is 12/24v heavy duty in big metal box & has a proper ammeter. It has been well worth it in terms of reliability, sturdiness & the ability to start a vehicle (bit of a struggle with a diesel though) & you can have all those facilities on the 12v setting as well!

http://www.aktivetools.com/sip-25077-professional-battery-chargerstarter-1224v-21030-amps-1034-p.asp

They have a nice little one in Costco at the moment for about £42. Its 12/24v, and also has a jump start (150A) built in....I think it was this one:

http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/product_detail.asp?prod=1925

Comes with proper size leads which is nice.

Funny enough..had to call the AA out to get a jump start as I broke down a few miles from home the other week in the Ferret, and they used a plain 12V emergency jump start on one of the batteries and it started fine. He said he has started many commercial 24V vehicles just yusing 12V

I've always preferred to charge pairs of batteries together (i.e. charge in series at 24V) - you know they are balanced then.

But having said that, if you have a decent 12V charger why can't you charge them in parallel? They might not be balanced (as charge will travel path of least resistance) but they can be done at the same time....

The pain here is that you have to disconnect the leads and re-connect for parallel, if charging at 24V you just clip the leads on and go!

I know it is a touchy subject with some here, and I can understand why. Keep an eye open for banruptcy sales in the area. Some god stuff may be about going cheap. If your going to buy now seems to be the time every supplier under the sun is chopping huge amounts off.

Hi Mark,

I'd recomend one of the Accumate/ Optimate intelligent chargers which can be left on and top up the baterys as needed. Whilst the 24v one is not cheap at about £60, it's cheaper than losing one Landrover battery to the frost!

I use one on my Militant occasionally through the winter, as it saves disconnecting and removing the batteries, as I don't have a spare space in the warm to store them in ideal conditions. It works well although it took several days to charge from flat, when the generator stopped charging, and it is probably better for the batteries than the workshop 24v starter charger.

Jules

I've always preferred to charge pairs of batteries together (i.e. charge in series at 24V) - you know they are balanced then.

Not really because if one battery is undercharged, by say using a take-off to run a 12v radio/CD player, then it needs more more current to flow into it. This current has to get there by flowing through the other battery. When this other battery is fully charged it can't pass any more current, so the weaker battery doesn't get charged up fully.

Provided one doesn't take liberties by pinching 12v off then in principle always charging them in a series at 24v should be satisfactory.

Unfortunately things don't always work out like that. Although I never pinch 12v off (as I have 24v radio/CD player) I had two 'identical' batteries same make, type & installed at the same time. I noticed after 3 years that one was not doing so well & despite the charging from the vehicle & supplementary top ups at 24v, this one battery would not maintain its full charge.

That could only be realised by charging the weaker battery at 12v from time to time. The trouble was that I would forget to do this & inevitably the weaker battery became weaker because it was mostly (unless I topped its charge up at 12v) undercharged & eventually died. The other battery a year further on is still performing well in a 12v vehicle.

So this one battery clearly let me down after 3 years & my lack of attention to its 12v needs accelerated its downfall. Although I have now put two new 'identical' batteries in the vehicle, from time to time I just check that they are behaving as equal partners.

BTW, there were when I last looked, 13 companies selling 24v radio/CD players on line in the UK. You need to compare prices as there is quite a difference....but actually all these different companies share the same address!

Clive - I have to agree with all the points you raise. I'm just lazy!!

Incidentally, it's even worse trying to find a half-decent charger to do 24v, 12v and 6v!

I eventually found a Lucas LBC12/Mk11 which will charge at 12amps (6,12v) and 10amps (24v).

Would recommend it for value and quality (it's very heavy).

The only problem with these automatic ones is that you cannot trickle charge at a very low rate which is sometimes preferable.

Clive - I have to agree with all the points you raise. I'm just lazy!!

Incidentally, it's even worse trying to find a half-decent charger to do 24v, 12v and 6v!

I eventually found a Lucas LBC12/Mk11 which will charge at 12amps (6,12v) and 10amps (24v).

Would recommend it for value and quality (it's very heavy).

The only problem with these automatic ones is that you cannot trickle charge at a very low rate which is sometimes preferable.

Fair enough, wasn't trying to nitpick for the sake of it. But of course if the two batteries were in parallel at any time they would balance out the voltage by the stronger discharging into the weaker.

As for the automatic "intelligent" chargers I agree with you. They are anything but intelligent & they get into their mind that the flat battery is "charged" there's nothing you can do!

6v is a problem these days. I was lucky enough to buy a Danish Army generator made by Honda that is 6/12/24V only & giving up to 20A. Nice little thing just the job for topping up batteries for a short while in the morning or going off to a shed to revive a vehicle where you have no electricity.

One thing I don't understand is the H&S requirement that is often stipulated at shows. A generator such as this, which is exclusively low voltage & from which I could not electrocute myself, why must it be earthed with a spike into the ground? From a H&S point of view, in this instance just seems to increase risk of tripping over the spike or its wire!

Clive i think its down to cost,i have inteligent charger 24v,Its been on non stop for 2yrs,it runs the diesel heating for six months of the year whilst i am away,It charges 2 banks of batteries,Keeping the start batteries as its prioraty.It was less than half price at £200,from a swindlery that was closing down.I have one of those jennys

saved us from an embarrasing situation in Bembridge harbour i forgot to isolate the engine battery.The domestic demands flattened the lot.But that was before the charger,i cant sing its praises enough.

I use an intelligent charger bought from Frank Jolley Engineering - switchable 6v/12v - and must say I'm jolley pleased with it.

But annoyed now 'cos I just remebered I forgot to hook it up to a work vehicle over Xmas so will have yet another flat battery :argh:

I was lucky to pick up a couple of these MOD (used by RAF) manually variable rate chargers for £40 each. If you ever see one of these in working order grab it! They can charge 3 x 12v batteries at a time. Only problem they are very heavy so require battery off or long charging leads. The manufacturer is no more.

In fact this type of charger does not seem to be available from anywhere any more :confused:

DSC02954.JPG

DSC02956.JPG

You can get chargers with Bus-bars, specifically designed for parallel charging, so that you can clip individual batteries on and off at will, using in effect jump leads. Sealy, i know, do one with a bus-bar.

http://www.tools-n-all.co.uk/Items/Item.aspx?SKU=sea.bb8&caSKU=sea.bb8&caTitle=Sealey%20Bb8%20Multi-Charge%20Battery%20Bus%20Bar

now available as a seperate add on for any large capacity 12 volt charger.