Wrecked the car yesterday

Joris

Luckily I'm well, actually I do not have a scratch or even pain in the muscles but my car is truly wrecked.

Yesterday morning I left for work in dense fog, when at the highway I started to overtake a lorry and then deceided it was time to fetch something from the glove compartiment. So I looked into the glove compartiment and not at the road so I missed the bend in the highway I was supposed to take. When I looked up I was almost inside the lorry so I pulled hard on the wheel to avoid hitting it. As you can imagine I pulled too hard on the wheel and the car was immediatly out of control. I tried to correct this but this just made the car go from left to right violently which ended in me going nose first into the crash barrier. Then I was bounced back onto the road and spun around (don't know how many times) and ended facing the wrong way between the crash barrier and the left lane (which is the fast lane here).

I immediatly tried to get out of the car but the door would not open so I pushed and shoved untill I could squeeze out. I was soo scared a car would crash into my car but got out okay and was then stuck between the left and right lane. After 20 anxious minutes the police arrived and finally blocked the left lane where during the previous minutes traffic kept roaring past at 120km/h because there was no way to see my black car in the dark and fog and in the bend. You can imagine my relief when the police arrived!

As I said above, I don't have a scratch or a dent or an acking muscle which can be called a miracle. Also that I ended up wedged between the barrier and the left lane and not on the left lane which would have been a catastrophe. So I'm quite happy the way it turned out, but it means the end of my trusted 1997 renault megane...

241220081049.jpg

241220081048.jpg

241220081051.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

You can replace the car Joris,at least you are ok.You might ache a bit in a couple of days.Jesus obviously didnt want you for a sunbeam yet.CW.

Knock on wood , Sorry to hear and to see that you will have an extra bill that I m sure you really didnt need , But on the other hand at least so far you say Your ok thats a very good thing . Thank goodness it ended as only a single car accident that as you said none of the others going who could not see you were involved either .

Someone is out to settle with the Bunker team. I had my Verso reshaped last week by a lady who ignored my indication and positioning in the road and drove straight through me as I turned right. Need one new door and a door skin. It took me some time to get out because the central locking went phut. My daughter climbed out the window. The lady had the grace to call her insurer and take responsibility instead of producing witnesses with tales of the unexpected. She was gorgeous as well. Down boy.

Glad you're OK Joris. Cars are just a means to an end.

Onwards and upwards...

MB

• 2 weeks later...

If only I had the money, I'm currently having my new house built so have no cash to spare :(

And by the way, it remains to be seen if I would have been better off in a different brand 11 year old car.

Joris any idea you may have of experimenting with 11 year old cars? FORGET IT MATE!!!!!! One try is enough. :nono:

Though so saying, somebody tryed clipping the front of my Volvo at about 50mph whilst trying to leave a dual cariageway. The Volvo rocked slighty and has a crease in the front wing. The other car a FIAT went bowling off in all directions. Fortunatley no one hurt.

Edited by Tony B

Glad to hear about no experiments :-D There is an idea in UK called 'Bangernomics' The idea is buy an older privatly owned reliable make of a good make such as Volvo or Mercedes, under £800. Do most of the work yourself and if anything goes seriously wrong, just dump it. Don't know what things are like for you but currently bigger older cars over here are going very cheap.

Cars are for nowt at the moment people can't give 'em away... I ran cars bought from the scrap yards for years. I regularly see excellent cars scrapped for the sake of a little bit of work. In fact i regularly see cars scrapped with current MOTs and some even taxed! ALL cars end up in the scrap yard anyway so they're only really worth scrap value!