Where is it.

Leysdown?

Leysdown on Sea was home to the first aircraft-building factory in the World, the first circular mile flight was made at Shellbeach by a British pilot in a British plane that was built on land next to Muswell Manor, in 1909?

Edited by gritineye

Shellness?

Correct, the "bunker" overlooks the Swale and Faversham I assume to look for the pending invasion or such like. Shellness I believe was the site of the first powered flight in the UK, I stand to be corrected

Correct, the "bunker" overlooks the Swale and Faversham I assume to look for the pending invasion or such like. Shellness I believe was the site of the first powered flight in the UK, I stand to be corrected

Six Wright flyers were brought over to the area, but the credit for the first powered flight in UK is to Samuel F Cody on 16th October 1908 at Farnbourough, hampshire.

Mark, the aerial pic is the one, about 1 1/2 mls south of Leysdown on sea, Apparently the area is now favored by nudists, possibly not this time of year though! The houses in the background are Shellness but look nearer in your pictures.

Christ yes just remembered that, we had to walk past the nudist beach very strange, it was full of men and all company vehicles in the car park................................weird.

Christ yes just remembered that, we had to walk past the nudist beach very strange, it was full of men and all company vehicles in the car park................................weird.

There is a tiny beach not easy to get to but very pretty, below the Fire Hills west of Hastings, we were making our way down to it when I took a snap of it with my zoom lens, and you've guessed it full of nude men all wading in the water but facing the beach! Didn't bother going, why do they get the best places?