youngguns explorer blog

younggun

go with the cummins i drive with the windows open to get the full efect of the straight though exhaust and its the 325 L10 which is how i was able to push you all up the hill in the photos from dorset ha ha

andy:-):-):-):-)

its a 290 with out intercooler

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really ? andy told me its a 325 anyway im pleased with it picked up a pair of scotches and the wires to suit along with a towing pole today ready to play

i was talking to the chap who andy got the engine of and he said it was a 290 not a 325.

hows the brakes?

have you took that airpack of what andy put on for the handbrake.

ive not tried the brakes out sinse cleaning up all the clevis"s and adjusting them all dont think they were that bad but the handbrake is ill try it out on a hill in the next few weeks hopefully .the air pack is still on maybe thats the problem how good is the original likely to be ?

you could put the spring brake inplace of the air ram and you should get better brakes aswell as the handbrake.

• 1 month later...

well gents

me and floyd have just got back in from two days out playing in the snow, which was an experience to say the least but a fun weekend out none the less .

the head gasket is sadly not looking any better. i spent all day friday retorqueing the head and loaded up the cooling system with K SEAL but it has made little difference at the momment the truck pressureizeing the cooling system and burning more oil than usuall and i think that is down to the fact i can see combustion gasses bubbleing up in the rocker box so i guess thats where the oil is going .

but i think even if i wanted to fix this engine i would have a hard time doing so with the problem of finding meadows parts.

problem now is finding a nice donor vehical to give me an engine

just a litte pic from the weekend

scammelling in a winter wonderland :-D

IMG_6232.jpg

Edited by younggun

ahh well video well the problem with being a lone scammeller there is never anyone around to hold the bloody camara when u want too film something :(

video footage would only dammage an explorers image as i was supprised they are not as gd on snow as i thought :shocked:

Edited by younggun

ahh well video well the problem with being a lone scammeller there is never anyone around to hold the bloody camara when u want too film soumthing :(

video footage would only dammage an explorers image as i was supprised there not as gd on snow as i thort :shocked:

Did it get a bit scary then?

in deep snow its hard to see where the edge of the road is and before u know it your getting sucked off it and into the ditch was just comeing up the last hill in to Avon Dasset and was half way up the hill in 6 wheel drive and started spinning not gd when u have dolly trailer behind. back wards is not an option just made it up, serious visability problem allso

had a rearly hard time getting the truck back in the yard aswell truck and trailer wouldant go up the hill so had to drop trailer off roll it back down the hill on the handbrake enough to get a run up with the truck after letting the tyers down a bit , and then had to winch the trailer up behind me .

and another thing the back end likes to go its own direction. had a few funny looks as i was drifting the scammell round the islands

but it was still fun :-D

Edited by younggun

Hi Nick.

A Last resort. have you seen this before. Great stuff, not cheap but may be worth a go.

I used it in a Transit 60,000 miles more, sold the van and she's still going now. not to sure how it would go in the exploreer but may be worth a try.

http://www.steelseal.co.uk/TESTIMONIALS-3-w.asp

Hope this is of help.

Clive

Edited by protruck

Hi Nick.

A Last resort. have you seen this before. Great stuff, not cheap but may be worth a go.

I used it in a Transit 60,000 miles more, sold the van and she's still going now. not to sure how it would go in the exploreer but may be worth a try.

http://www.steelseal.co.uk/TESTIMONIALS-3-w.asp

Hope this is of help.

Clive

thanks clive i have tired something similar to that but no luck it really needs a new set of studs and heads to fix properly

Edited by younggun

the one mike has or had was a petrol clive i am goin to upset a few people by removeing the meadows and go with the cummins option its not my fault i have been brainwashed by another forum member on the cummins l10 idea :nut:

Edited by younggun

Hi Mate.

The L 10 is the way i would go all so. great engine and easy to work on if your

not worried about originality and what people think. It's your vehicle and it's only

so long you can keep getting the parts.

L10 would be more reliable considering the amount of times you have the old girl out

in the year at shows and playing in the snow.:-D

And be better for your pocket when filling the old girl up

Good luck

Clive

Edited by protruck

There is a meadows generator for sale in the back of stationary engine mag but no price.

An American engine in a british truck? :shocked: You'll be using words like "muffler" and "aluminum" Is there enough room under the "Hood" for such a beast. Will the "tranny" be up to it.

Still sorting out the registration on mine so no danger of being "sucked off in a ditch" here

There is a meadows generator for sale in the back of stationary engine mag but no price.

An American engine in a british truck? :shocked: You'll be using words like "muffler" and "aluminum" Is there enough room under the "Hood" for such a beast. Will the "tranny" be up to it.

Still sorting out the registration on mine so no danger of being "sucked off in a ditch" here

well the gd news rob is that now i have been successfully brainwashed on cummins power we can start on other people we mite start in the north wales area next for all those non belivers :-D

any way i have a bigger problem at present my meds for scammellitis has been giveing me the strangest side affects i keep hearing the sound of a cummins jake brake in both ears :whistle:

thanks for the b day wishes aswell :thumbsup:

Edited by younggun