Bedford MW - Feeling ambitious!

sirhc

Well it's been a while since I updated this thread, but we have been working very hard. With a week to go before Normandy the truck is not too far off being ready. Just the rear lights to wire up, then a test drive. We need to do the stencils and number plates tomorrow too.

We are waiting on some canvas from Allied Forces, but they hadn't started it last week, so we may be getting rather wet. I have the hoops for the rear, but again no canvas, which is rather disapointing.

I'll go back and fill in the massive gaps another time, but here are some photos taken this evening.

Chris

S7305539.JPG

S7305545.JPG

S7305549.JPG

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the messages. Hopefully we should have a rear canvas now, thanks for the offer Andy. I spent the day doing some of the little jobs on the never ending list!

Chris

S7305555.jpg

S7305552.jpg

Well it's been a while since I updated this thread, but we have been working very hard. With a week to go before Normandy the truck is not too far off being ready. Just the rear lights to wire up, then a test drive. We need to do the stencils and number plates tomorrow too.

We are waiting on some canvas from Allied Forces, but they hadn't started it last week, so we may be getting rather wet. I have the hoops for the rear, but again no canvas, which is rather disapointing.

I'll go back and fill in the massive gaps another time, but here are some photos taken this evening.

Chris

Pretty little thing innit? Probably quite cheap to run too. I shall look forward to seeing it with its clothes on. Nice to see a restoration like yours. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Where abouts in Normandy shall you be heading with it?

I met Chris and his MW at Graye sur Mer, but I bet he drove it all over the place.

Nice meeting you Chris, and great work on the MW!

Regards,

Hanno

P1050093 resized.jpg

Hi Hanno, it was nice meeting you too.

We were staying at Hermanville, but the truck drove everywhere from Pegasus Bridge to Dead Mans Corner and Omaha beach. We must have easily covered 700 miles over the last week! The truck is still going strong, but the engine is a little noisy. Might need some new big ends!

I'll do a bit of a write up later, but for now here is it on Sword Beach.

Chris

tn_S7305624.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

hello chris,

Finally i'm starting to sort the few pictures i took in normandy, chris and i met up for a beer,

100_1125.jpg

I owe a big favor to chris for letting me have the early side panels off his truck, in trade for the later ones off mine, that one thing really helped make my truck, and saved me a whole heap of time. I saw this truck just after he bought it, the amount of work thats been done is a credit to you mate.

I'm sure i sprayed my truck green, but in every photo i've taken it's come out brown, whys this?

How you getting on with the front hoops?

Edited by rippo

Hi John,

Not put much effort into the front hoops yet, been busy spraying a trailer, getting the Sabre ready for Beltring and putting my Lightweight back on the road!

I know what you mean about the brown thing, ours seems to change colour depending on the time of day. I do really like the Rippingham drab though, I need to order some more to finish off the rest of it.

Have you decided if you're coming to Beltring yet?

Chris

Hello mate,

Yeah the colour came out well, i'm more than happy with it for the time being :cool2:. In a couple of months i'm going to have the bulkhead off, have the gearbox out, finish the inside of the chassis, have the original canvass's made then put camaflage patten on it so i'm not sure what colour it's going to end up yet. One of my neighbours mix's paint, so i'm going to get a price off him in the next couple of days, and maybe get a few cans done. I'll keep you posted.

I'll only be going to beltring in the car i'm affraid, i've used all my holidays for this year getting the truck done for normandy, i'd love to take it but its a long way just for a weekend, it took me about a week to recover after normandy. Are you taking the bedford down?

I'm going to start looking into the exhausts this week to.

Hi John,

The MW will be at Beltring, all being well. It's booked in, and I'm sure it'll make it, I don't know if I will though! Come and find me when you're down there.

Keep me posted on the exhaust, I think ours has just about had it.

Chris

Gents, your opinions please on the subject you mention of exhausts. Would it be absolute sacrilege to get a stainless one made and fit it? Following on from that, none of my handbooks etc have a picture of an original exhaust and I'm pretty sure that the one on mine isnt quite as it should be. Can either of you send me a pic of your system so that I can cross check it against mine?

Cheers

Duncan

Duncan,

I see nothing wrong with fitting a stainless one. I intend to do it once John has them made. Our exhuast isn't original at all but I think the one on John's truck is pretty close. Hopefully he'll post a pic if he sees this.

Chris

Hello,

Well i do have a couple :blush:,

It come's from the front,

000_0222.jpg

over the rear axle,

000_0223.jpg

and out the back,

000_0230.jpg

I've got on mine, an original front pipe, and an original silencer, so i'm going to use those as templates, to have some made out of stainless, the tail pipe on mine is a peice of flexy pipe, so i'm going to have one fabricated once the front pipe and box are fitted. It dose show the exhaust on the lubrication diagram, but its no tthe kind of thing there's many pictures of.

lubricationchart.jpg

I think as long as it's made exactly as the original, being made out of stainless steel is more of a plus point. Once its had a coat of matt black you'd have to be pretty keen to notice it. Although i think, maybe, the front pipe may have to be different to allow for the flex.

Edited by rippo

Be carefull if you drive long distances , and the engine has to work hard , Then you can only make the tail bit out of stainless, Heat transmission through a stainlesss pipe is less than a steel one . To my knowledge (I am working a lot for the Car industrie ) you can only make a stainless exhaust if you change your cast iron manifold as well for a custom made stainless one.

If your front pipe and first silencer is zinked , that is OK . The down pipe in the picture is an orriginal one , and it is already fitted in 1984 , and is still OK ,

Thanks for the input fellas, definitely different to mine, which ends somewhere in front of the rear axle and sort of exits down/sideways. Surprisingly it doesnt fill the back with fumes. I will take your pics along to the company I'm going to have a word with regarding making one.

Thanks maurice, i'll bear that in mind. I did wonder why you'd only got the tail pipe done. I've come across this problem before when i wanted a stainless exhaust for a golf, i was never sure why they didn't do the front pipe.

Thanks maurice, i'll bear that in mind. I did wonder why you'd only got the tail pipe done. I've come across this problem before when i wanted a stainless exhaust for a golf, i was never sure why they didn't do the front pipe.

I am told that a stainless front pipe on a Golf is very noisy - I have a tuned Mk2 GTI with a bespoke stainless system, when TSR did the mechanicals for me they advised me against their own tuned stainless front pipe in favour of a standard pipe off a late Mk2.

Thanks for the input fellas, definitely different to mine, which ends somewhere in front of the rear axle and sort of exits down/sideways. Surprisingly it doesnt fill the back with fumes. I will take your pics along to the company I'm going to have a word with regarding making one.

that sounds like mine, as well; points down and no, no fumes in back, either. :) (although, as mines mwr, it could well be wrong for it, when in origional mode,........I'm guessing it would have exited well away from under body space)

Andy