Seeking 1949 Pattern Battle Dress

Deuceman

Looking for a good set of 49 pattern BD and an authentic shirt. Must be 49 pattern - not looking for wartime.

Vital statistics:

Waist 36"

Chest 42-44"

Height 5'11"

Shirt 16.5"

Military haircut, unlike some...............

:-)

Looking to portray Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry in the 1950's (my old TA unit in the 1980's), already have my pitchfork!

If you can assist please email me on gmc353@mac.com

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Gents,

If you could measure the jacket that would be great - it should have a label inside and if they are sized as per 40 pattern I reckon I need a size 17 or 18.

Thanks for the Sabre tip, I have emailed them enquiring as well.

Off now for my five mile hike with bergen full of old spanners so that I can fit into whatever I find!!

Roly poly out!

wartime sizing as follows............

size 15 waist 37/38. breast 42/43. height 5'11''/6'0''

size 16 waist 34/35. breast 39/40. height 6'0''/6'2''

size 17 waist 36/37. breast 41/42. height 6'0''/6'2''

size 18 waist 38/39. breast 43/44. height 6'0''/6'2''

if waist is 36'', and height 5'11 trs would be size 14 OR 15.

( 14 is 35/36 waist, 32 inseam and 5'11/6'00'' in height)

( 15 is 37/38 waist, 32 inseam and 5'11/6'0'' in height)

Good 49 patt is getting very scarce, these days.

All the best,

Andy

Large size original kit is rare, quite simply people were smaller then. An aside the health check on children aged 14/15 by British authorities on children who had grown up under the Occupation in the Cahnnel Islands reported that the restricted diet had led to excellent dental helath , but on average 2 to 3 inches shorter than there UK counterparts. Try Warhorse, a made to fit repro will cost about as much as an original, and you won't be afraid to wear and damage it.

Looking for a good set of 49 pattern BD and an authentic shirt. Must be 49 pattern - not looking for wartime.

Vital statistics:

Waist 36"

Chest 42-44"

Height 5'11"

Shirt 16.5"

Military haircut, unlike some...............

:-)

Looking to portray Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry in the 1950's (my old TA unit in the 1980's), already have my pitchfork!

*cough *cough - he is just one step away from going PW guys............. :whistle:

Tickley throat Jack? Hair stuck in it maybe? Nothing a good barber (or sheep shearer) couldn't sort for you old bean!!

You'll be surprised to know that I'm actually joining Keith Brigstock and The Garrison boys for a day this weekend. I figured well if you are going to cast off a wonderfully tailored US Army four pocket tunic and wear that god awful hairy mary serge and look like a sack of sh1t tied in the middle, why not go for broke and do it on a Saturday in August - I must be mad!!

Anyway, I digress, but as January 1st next year is the 60th anniversary of the start of compulsory post war National Service I thought it would be nice to have a set of 49 pattern BD to use with the WW2 boots and gaitors to represent the post war look, even though I'd choose to do mine as a TA unit (Royal Wilts Yeomanry) which both my father (1958-71)and I served in (1995-98). The 49 pattern was better tailored than the wartime patterns and did give you a fair shot at looking half decent in it although a great physique helps!

I am trying to persuade my locale steam railway The Great Central Railway in Leicestershire to theme their annual New Years steam weekend (3/4 Jan) around the 60th anniversary, as the railway is restored and equipped pretty much to represent a 1950's main line and as such is much better suited to a National Service portrayal than a WW2 one, which it does each year with lots of bangs and smoke but little in the way of an 'air of authenticity'. I do also resent being asked by a 14 year old lad with an SLR and a modern combat jacket to show my ID card! I am probably the only one however who gets bothered about the fact that the carriages are all 1950's and 60's varieties and being pulled by locos either built post war or wearing post war liveries - akin to being dressed as 506th PIR and piling into a Land Rover! This year they even camouflaged a 1950's BR diesel unit, albeit tongue in cheek!!

Even if the railway don't decide to capitalise on the obvious opportunity that this presents, I might just go along anyway in uniform and seek to persuade others to do likewise just for the sake of doing something a bit different to blow away the Christmas cobwebs - I'll post a separate note to that effect elsewhere.

The other thing to be aware of, is that whilst the WW2 vets are fast dwindling, the National Service vets are still around in greater numbers and due to the fact that NS didn't finish until 1963 will be so for a few years yet.

Having said all of that, I will not be tempted into buying a Bedford RL, Morris Commercial or Austin Champ to compete the ensemble, I'm quite content with the thought of portraying a travelling soldier somewhere in England in the 1950's/early 60's as per the image attached.

Thanks to those that have replied, especially Andy with the size details. I tried Sabre but they had nothing that big. Makes me appreciate how lucky I was to find the Size 18 40 pattern BD blouse in a Reading charity shop in the early 90's! It was too big for me then, but has shrunk considerably since then thru being hung up and is now quite snug!

SC1311.jpg

Maybe worth giving Preston, down at Cobbaton combat a call. I know he does have a 'clothes rail,' down there.

Good luck,.....another thought, what about the militaria fairs ??.........shame, there were some 49 pat blouses at w&p, dunno about size's though, or who had them...........

Andy

You'll be surprised to know that I'm actually joining Keith Brigstock and The Garrison boys for a day this weekend. I figured well if you are going to cast off a wonderfully tailored US Army four pocket tunic and wear that god awful hairy mary serge and look like a sack of sh1t tied in the middle, why not go for broke and do it on a Saturday in August - I must be mad!!

Looking like a sack of.....? You be the judge :-D

Keep 'em Rolling

S.

Neil&Keith.jpg

wartime sizing as follows............

size 15 waist 37/38. breast 42/43. height 5'11''/6'0''

size 16 waist 34/35. breast 39/40. height 6'0''/6'2''

size 17 waist 36/37. breast 41/42. height 6'0''/6'2''

size 18 waist 38/39. breast 43/44. height 6'0''/6'2''

if waist is 36'', and height 5'11 trs would be size 14 OR 15.

( 14 is 35/36 waist, 32 inseam and 5'11/6'00'' in height)

( 15 is 37/38 waist, 32 inseam and 5'11/6'0'' in height)

Good 49 patt is getting very scarce, these days.

All the best,

Andy

Tell me about it :-(

Ashley

Degsy,

M&S magic knickers from the lingerie section! I thought they were standard Welsh hill farmer issue?

Normally I wear them just for the thrill and don't tell anyone, but this time they had a real job to do. Well, you did ask?

You should try them, they'll knock years off of your waistline. I could even see them become a branded HMVF item as long as the embroidered letters are carefully positioned so as not to chaff!!

:)

Degsy,

M&S magic knickers from the lingerie section! I thought they were standard Welsh hill farmer issue?

Normally I wear them just for the thrill and don't tell anyone, but this time they had a real job to do. Well, you did ask?

You should try them, they'll knock years off of your waistline. I could even see them become a branded HMVF item as long as the embroidered letters are carefully positioned so as not to chaff!!

:)

Nooo, far too modern, long coms are still de rigeur:-D

Edited by Degsy