Hello to you all

Hi,

I thought I'd accept the invite to introduce myself, as I've been looking at this forum for a couple of weeks and like what I see. It seems a good grouping of helpful contributors with a fair range of HMVs.

I live in Perth Western Australia, although for the next two months I'm in Virginia USA.

I've got what was an original WC55 which, like all or most of these ill conceived variants, were modified to WC 52s as soon as the troops came in contact with the enemy who had larger guns/more armour. Regrettably I've no idea of it's history.

I've also got an ex Australian Army Series 2A LWB landrover.

I do volunteer work for an Army museum and in partnership with two others, have restored two Bren Gun Carriers (the Australian LP 2A variety), a Chevrolet Blitz C30 Ambulance and am working on an International Mk 5 Wrecker, with a few other potential projects waiting in the wings.

Glad to be here and hope to be of some help.

Jack

Jack Welcome. Do you ever come across any Humbers ie 1-Ton FV1600 trucks, although the exported ones were designated Commer FV1600?

I have had contact from a couple of people over there, but always on the look out any more info. Only identified two Commers so far.

My other interest is in the Australian missile Malkara made by Government Aircraft Factories in 1950s. I have a launcher vehicle for them (FV1620) I believe Prototype No3 is still in Australia, but no idea where or what state it is in. Do you know anything of it?

Your IIA Rover, if it is FFR, what charging system is it 40A or 90A?

Hi Jack.

So pleased to have you here and please do make yourself at home!

....are you local? Because it would be good to meet up sometime :shock:

Any problems then please do just give me a shout.

Cheers.

Jack.

welcome jack,

I will be in Perth for the last few days of April & up till the 6th may staying in Swanbourne.

Could you let me know where the Army museum is so I can add it to my list of places to visit.

Enjoy the site & hope to hear from you soon

berni

G'day Jack,

Welcome. You must be the farthest member so far. No doubt you know of some of your fellow mv collecters locally who took part in the Alice Springs runs. I did the original 1995 and again in 2000, the latter one I drove a Jeep along John Williams from Armadale WA in a Ford blitz and a number of others from WA.

Richard

Forum members,

Thanks to all who made me welcome.

Berni (I'm sure you'll make a good sheila),

If you are in Perth on Anzac Day (25 April - celebrates the first blooding of this nation in one of Churchill's grand schems), a mob of ex military vehicles (incl my Dodge), transports infirm Veterans in the Parade. You might find it interesting - it's possible we could even find you a seat !

I'd be happy to show you over the Museum during your stay - I'll send a PM.

Richard,

I was on the last trek (2005 to remove any confusion) in my S2A Landrover. Have a look at http://www.jack4carz.blinkz.com/ for a potted report on the trip. Many of those who took part were partly cooked leftovers from previous trips, including Henri de Wally, Bob Dimer, Tony Arrigo, Barefoot Charlie etc. 4000km and over 2500 of corrugated dirt !!!! John Williams was there as well in a stretched Ford Blitz.

Clive,

I was in touch with you before I came across to the US about Humbers - I think it was on another forum.

To everyone else - save your pennies and come for a visit. By the look of the news I've been following since I've been in the US, we need all the help we can get fighting bushfires !

All the best

Jack

Forum members,

Richard,

I was on the last trek (2005 to remove any confusion) in my S2A Landrover. Have a look at http://www.jack4carz.blinkz.com/ for a potted report on the trip. Many of those who took part were partly cooked leftovers from previous trips, including Henri de Wally, Bob Dimer, Tony Arrigo, Barefoot Charlie etc. 4000km and over 2500 of corrugated dirt !!!! John Williams was there as well in a stretched Ford Blitz.

Hi Jack,

Just read your diary of the trip, good one. My old friend, Tony Luke, took his Bedford QL, he sent me a video of his trip. The 2000 one was excellent, there was so many relics of the Old Ghan line to see. Best bit was crossing the Finke River :)

Richard

Richard,

Tony was there - he was one of those who joined us in Wiluna at the start of the Gunbarrel Hwy. His Bedford was a massive vehicle in comparison to most of the others on the trip and I thought he might have some difficulties when I first saw the size and relatively narrow wheel track of the Bedford. However it performed well and even towed a destroyed Fargo some considerable distance, albeit slowly.

I think Tony also owned the trip's only Dodge Weapons Carrier - driven by a friend from South Australia.

The 2010 trek is likely to be based in NE Queensland - can't get much further from WA and still be dry.

Jack