School reports....

Jack

have just read Elizas report and all is well.

Then I got thinking about mine - I can remember them all saying the same - "has done well but could do better" and "if he spent less time clowning around he might do better in his course work...."

Good to see my kiddies haven't taken after me....:sweat:

Mine always said "could do better", apart from art where I spent most of my time "He needs to spend lees time in the artrooms and more time on other academic subjects"

Sport was odd as I got a "He is doing well." as I spent my time in town rather than doing any form of sport, apart from rowing where a couple of us would park up in a rowing boat behind an island and have a crafty fag and share a bottle of cider before rowing back at the end of the day...aaaah....those were the days..

All the staff had a party when I left school,when I bothered to go I left a trail of chaos in my wake, persistent caning had no effect except to make me even more rebellious, they gave that up eventually What really got their goat was the fact that I could do the work quite easily but could see no point to most of it and refused to conform to their ideals of university etc, I was much more interested in working in the woods winching trees with a Fordson Major. I have no regrets as far as I was concened Grammar School was a complete waste of time and my school reports were always the same, just a long screed whingeing on about wasting ability , university etc etc

I guess I wasn't the most busy one at school. As my reports often said: "he's able, if he wants to..."

I once wrote a piece about NATO, I believe it was in my english class. This was in 7th grade I guess. The teacher said that I'd copied it out of a book, which of course was not so. I simply was intrested in the subject and I do believe I wrote pretty well english back then.

Some other time we were having a test in history and about ww2... I think I was able to bombard the teacher with facts in the same way that the germans got bombarded themselves. I do believe I got a pretty good grade on that history test.

But most of the time I shared the view of mr. Springsteen " We learned more from a three minute record, than we ever learned in school".

Marty

Edited by martylee

I once had in my report the line "where Joris is there is noise" which is still true to this day :D

Too bloody funny! :rofl:

I hated sport was never any good at it. I never watch it and couldn't even tell you if Geoff Hurst is still the England manager. I do however applaud the discipline element, competitiveness and the focus that sports people have - I was always the last one picked and was to busy chatting to the 'ladies' :whistle:

To be honest I hate our education system and now wish that we had home tutored our gang.

I always say to my kids, focus on your strengths and not your weakness's either wise you will just become average.

We built a boat at school liked that, Physics had a brilliant teacher, was good at that, Metalwork and Tech Drawing, was enjoyable. Wednesday afternoon, used to bunk off to stables, school decided it was sport (Or maybe couldn't be bothered to argue) Loved that. Worked a damm sight harder at college than I ever did at school.

My school reports were always dismal and I was rubbish at football, which was the top criteria for being a person. I was a serial underachiever and the subject of some degree of scorn. I always wonder about those idiots who say, in general terms, that school days are the "happiest" of your life.

Every day was misery and grey. I never looked back. I have no friends from school and have no interest in friends re-united. I got my education from the day I walked out the gate. I read an awful lot of books. Still do.

I really hope things are different now. My son is waiting his GCSE results and we have high hopes for him.

Getting a job was easier in the seventies. I literally started one the next day after leaving the previous one. I've had five in 31 years and have taken something from all of them (not just stationery). My first day in the job I had before this one began with watching three people share a foot long line of cocaine off a desk without as much as a nod in my direction. Experiences and self-education matter more than all the formal stuff (in my experience). Would I like to have gone to university and got a degree ? Yes. But in "my day" kids from Hackney got jobs in the Metal Box Factory or something similar - a friend who wanted to be an air force pilot became a bus driver - it was not about choices it was about real life of 1970s London. My dad told me when I was fifteen that I would have a union card and a guaranteed job in Fleet Street - "a job for life" bought by union power. Schooling was irrelevant. So I did three weeks in the sixth form and went straight off to work in Fleet Street earning £17.50 a week at The Observer. Making me go in to "The Print" is the one thing my Dad did for me that has driven my life.

Well after being groomed into being into the RAF, went on to Art schooll, worked in HMV for a few years , really enjoyed that, have a big love for music and a really wide music taste thanks to that. Worked with children for a few years. It all got a bit ridiculous working with the kids, then helped the old man out at work for a week. That was 15 years ago been there ever since. I suppose the other hobbies are the family and making "everything work"! Discovered the world od MV's after one night wondering what you could buy off the internet and typedin "tanks for sale" . Its been uphill ever since!

Don't think I made a good impression at school. Most of my school reports had 'Could do better', and one had my name wrong - It was to Richard Davey instead of Robert Davey. Still it did teach me about Woodwork, Maths and Tech Drawing, which has come in useful later, and playing Tuba in the school band was very interesting.

Well I can't add much here as both me and my brother were educated at home. I started working at 15 and have done so ever since,although never in the same job for more than four years(I get bored easily).

Is school a good thing? I really don't know but I have friends who went through school,college,university and have still ended up in dead end jobs they hate.

Matt.

Mine were much the same

....could do better...has the ability ...should take more pride in his work....he would rather spend his time climbing trees with his friends... takes his punishment like a man (after being caned every sunday morning for a whole term even though i denied smoking, drinking, and skiping church and on one occaision consuming the whole school terms confirmation wine [hic] stored in the church.

Moving back to the U.K. my dad who was just completing 25 years Army service,expected me to follow suit....untill i left school and joined a travelling funfair for three months :cool2:

Aaaaah those were the days....

Ashley

Mine often said would do better if he attended more fortunately my daugters are better she got highly commended on her ww2 history and sixties lifestyle homework cant see where she got that from

Nigel

A frightening thought. The 1960's being taught as history in schools. :shake:

My dtr is extending her studies to WW1 and WW2 next year. She's already plodded over Normandy, Flanders and the Somme with me; so I'm hoping she'll get on alright. Poor lamb is probably bored rigid.

Let's hope her teacher does better this year. He had repeated trouble with the idea that the eighteen hundreds are not the eighteenth century.

It does not bode well.

m

My dtr is extending her studies to WW1 and WW2 next year. She's already plodded over Normandy, Flanders and the Somme with me; so I'm hoping she'll get on alright. Poor lamb is probably bored rigid.

Let's hope her teacher does better this year. He had repeated trouble with the idea that the eighteen hundreds are not the eighteenth century.

It does not bode well.

m

OOPS!! She will know more than the teacher then. :cool2:

My reports were average - good at history and physics, about par for everything else. Life ambition back then was to join the RAF but blowing up the chemistry lab during the CSE's kind of put the block on that. So I wound up as a toolmaker with Uncle Henry's mob at Dagenham.

Daughter Mk 1 is about to start Uni studying Physiotherapy at St Georges, Tooting. During her school time we had great fun with history teachers and the varing stages of history including the 2 wars and some of the small wars afterwards.

(and just to be awkward - I'm now starting a Masters degree in IT............)