Best buy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked around the stalls on the Sunday looking for bargains, but all I bought were some cards I can use for Birthdays/Christmas and some cheap toy soldiers I can use for presents. I also bought a dog bowl for my dog, Monty.

Didn't find any British Ford V8 parts at all on the stalls.

James and I didn't do too badly - I'd been saving photo sales cash pretty much since January for the show..and he bought some of this stuff with his own cash.

film prop deactivated L85A1 from Children of Men, with correct sling etc £20.

film prop SLR from Bloody Sunday (I think) - full weight - needs a bit of tidying up, but I loved it - £40

airsoft M14 rifle - really very good for it's type and much improved with a little detailing £125

nice old deactivated blank firer (we think) replica Browning HP £80

RAF flag - £5

Browning HP 58 pattern holster £2

current British army gas mask and case with two filters £20

repro Garand sling for M14 - nicer than modern thing (not that I found one) price forgotten - I think it was £15

four SA80 mags - £12

some clothes - total £20

oh....and a vehicle. (to be paid for). :sweat:

Ok, we went mad.

James also got some perfect Dutch army shirts someone had binned in the market on the last day (why??) and thousands of expended blank rounds which go in our bullet bucket. I pick them up after the arena battles. Saddo.

Edited by Snapper
adding text

Aye, my kids like to collect spent cartridges as well. You have to check them carefully though, quite often get misfires and sometimes a live one rattling around in their pockets.

By the way, nice to meet you last Sunday Mark.

Davie

Those film props sound dirt cheap. Are they any good and where do you get them? An SLR would go with my 101 and especially the FFW SWB Landy I've got my eye on. The de ac Browning is stupidly cheap, most of them are about £400 plus.

We got the film props off a chap who is in to sniper stuff who does the rounds. Don't know his name - he prefers to remain in the background. The SLR is basically a lump of wood and iron, but I really like it. Lee and Harry have recommended some mods to improve it. I bought a butt plate which goes with the older wood furniture (I think - from memory) but the butt is cut more like for the later plastic stuff. I'll get it right.

The SA80 is lovely. It has the old a1 cocking handle which doesn't look so wonderful, but who cares for that price.

The Browning HP remains a bit of a curates egg. Markheliops tried to strip it and could not. I'm happy with it, regardless. The downside is we managed to lose the lanyard ring out of it in no time at all - fixing screw and all. But it looks fine.

Fun times ahead.

MB

I'm fairly new to military Landy's and wasn't aware there was a difference between the SLR mounts and those for the SA80. If anyone has spares I'm after some as well!

Matt.

SLR mounts are just a basic sprung U shape. SA80 clips have a base part for butt and a catch part for the barrell.