Best buy

For the first time ever (on my one day pass) i avoided the stalls until about 3.30 after having looked at the vehicles first. So i did not have long for a rummage. This was probably a good idea as i didnt have much money to spend this year. All i bought was a couple of books (and one of thsoe was remaindered). So i was wondering, did anybody have a particularly good find, that missing piece of whatever that they had been looking for over the last 20 years?

I have given up hope of finding anything WW1 truckish other than a headlamp costing £300.

But, my star find was a superb book on Jerrycans. Best book i have bought this year and the stall had already sold all but one (i think they had started off with 20).

Tim (too)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Try and put Catweazle out of his misery then. Or are they all black and white pictures?

Seen it, done it - no help whatsoever! Consequently, didn't buy it . . .

I noticed that the hardware dept of Johnsons had LAW training launchers at £150 then further along by the smaller of the two 'big tops' there was an armourer that had them for £230.

I'm used to seeing stuff at varying prices but that was extreme. You would think that either there would be an established value for these things or if not then word would spread to either and prices would allign eitherway.

anyhoo a bargain? who knows?

Within 10 minutes of entering the gate:

Three wing boxes with aerial mounts, £40

Clansman 351, £80

Then got a text from the missus saying "don't buy any more cr@p"

She was too late, the feeding frenzy had already started.......

Then got some canvas paint and DBG from RR services and was sorely tempted by the boxed brens Withams had, but thought it more important to source a mount for the Ferret first....and save my marriage of course!

One day....not enough...what was I thinking! Next year I am going to make sure we are not "otherwise engaged" and book in for a few days.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I didnt know that you needed help. What did you need to know?

Tim (too)

Hi.was it brown or was it black.

IOWSteamRly002.jpg

Thought I had a great buy - brand new tow rope for the 432 complete with shackles for £30 - then Lee told me he gave one away on the forum for free a couple of months ago.

Wooden GPMG, canvas cover, spent case catcher, 7.62 link inert rounds, new GPMG mount for the 432, ammo box for the mount and two x 4 ammo cases for £300. Thanks Dave.

Markheliops

Nearly forgot -

2 man artic tent as used by the Royal Marines - £50 -(will sell eventually)

New Bedford NATO tow hitch - £20

New water jerry can - £8

10m x 3 m tent from Lee / Ian and group - £210

Markheliops

The book would suggest that they were green, sand or black. However, it goes on to say that "the bottom of some water jerrycans is dark brown".

Was yours brown when you bought it or did you paint it brown yourself? Redirect me to your other thread if you like.

Tim (too)

OK. I have found your post. Not a lot i can add to that. But the Jerrycan book is really good if you ever feel the need to collect Jerrycans. Anyway, here are a few photos of the book by Phillipe Leger which i would still reccommend even if it did not answer the brown jerrycan question. The book is in both French and English by the way.

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

Bought Jess - I mean me a Mosin-Nagant carbine-1938 from Ryton Arms and must say damn good service too.

The carbine is spotless and I would say that it has never been out of the grease proof paper.......!

Bought Jess - I mean me a Mosin-Nagant carbine-1938 from Ryton Arms and must say damn good service too.

The carbine is spotless and I would say that it has never been out of the grease proof paper.......!

Mosin-Nagant - you (or Jess) going Soviet then Jack?? :)

You could just paint the white star on your GMC's bonnet red instead.... :):)

58 pattern webbing complete with large pack for £10 to make up the rest of my webbing.

SLR bayonet for £27

5 slings (1 enfield for a No4 (already on my rifle lol) 4 SLR) for £2 each already sold em lol

NOS SLR sling for my SLR £4 lol

and pat wares land rover book (the new one) £15 instead of £25 lol

plus some other bits but they were all about the normal price

still didnt find my Hi power for less than £300

Mosin-Nagant - you (or Jess) going Soviet then Jack?? :)

You could just paint the white star on your GMC's bonnet red instead.... :):)

Will I quite like Vodka...........:sweat: no it just looked a nice rifle:coffee: