News - Kättenkrad stolen - update.

Jack

Intrigued by the use of the word Kättenkrad. I understand that the umlauted "a" is modified in Norwegian the same way it is in German, becoming an "e" or long "a" sound depending on context.

However, the German word for tracks is actually "Ketten" with an "e" where Kettenkrad is a contraction of Kettenkraftrad, translating as "tracked motorised bike" (Kraftrad is actually an old word for motorbike). So I am guessing that the use of the word Kättenkrad is actually from the Norwegian form.

Isn't it amazing the things you learn?

It looks like we'll need HMVFCrimeWatch in due course. I'm sure there are plenty of members who have a motor with a blue light we can use for the title sequence..

Always dial

Milton Abbas 1212 and ask for Inspector Nacker. Though, of course in Norway, I believe it is Inspector Siggursson.

You're nicked, Chummy.

• 1 month later...

Well Major, don't believe everything you read on the net. There is no such word in Norwegian, it's just a misspelling of the German term. So feel free to correct the error, those who can (and care). I do believe Rolf has been told by now...

The Norwegian word for "Kettenkrad" would be "beltemotorsykkel", which can be confusing, as it is also the legal term for a snow scooter. So we'd better agree on "Kettenkrad"...