1942 Dodge WC51 Maintenance blog / Engine replacement

Joris

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This weekend we put the differential back in and today I got the word that the Dodge finally passed the MOT (APK)!!! We're set for the next two years :)

Some pictures:

The differntial before we put it back in:

Where it ought to be:

Finally!

Close up of the propellershaft joint (not yet properly connected)

The rear differential with what we started to call the Treasury (gas tank).

Last photo before we closed the differential cap again (hopefully for a long time!)

IMG_5946.jpg

IMG_5949.jpg

IMG_5951.jpg

IMG_5952.jpg

IMG_5954.jpg

IMG_5955.jpg

Edited by Joris

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend was one of ups and downs. We removed the old markings of the 30th inf div and repainted some rusty parts which was great fun and we drove around in it for quite a distance. All went well untill we were forced to stop due to lack of fuel, which was quite a surprise because the fuelgauge said we still had plenty of fuel. We walked to a nearby petrol station to get some fuel after which the Dodge was mobile again, for about a mile. Then it stopped and refused to start again. What had happened, the bottom of the tank was filled with dirt and an enigine can't run on that crap. We got the AA and they got me driving again using a can of gasoline, an electric pump and a fuel line going directly into the carburator. As if this wasn't enough the electrical system started to go bananas and short circuited so the AA guy made a bypass there too. Finally after 4 hours of misery and an interesting drive we got back to base.....

Pictures will follow (sometime)

That's bad luck.

About the fuelgauge; was it stuck or does it go to full the moment you turn on the electrics?

Also reading the electrical problems you had it looks like the electric troubles were also to blame for the fuel gauge.

Don't know very much about electrics though.

It goes to full (or 3/4 full) the moment you turn on the electrics. While driving it always went from side to side like a maniac...

I'm going to redo all the electrics, I've studied electrics 2 years (MBO for the dutch) and I have friend who's dad is a electrician and he might want to help out.

• 1 month later...

All was quiet on the Dodgefront for a while but that does not mean nothing has happened, I just couldn't be arsed to write it all down.

The short version is that we sorted the fuel problem and I found outwhat was causing the short circuiting.

Fuel problem

We drained the fueltank and all the petrol that came out was crystal clear so there was no need to clean the tank from the inside. We did replace the fuel filter and found out why the fuelpump failed, a rubber seal was missing which caused the fuelpump to suck air and not fuel into the carburator. All in all a pretty easy job to sort out.

Electrical system

This was more complex to sort out but in the end simply following and checking the cables proved most effective.

The small blackout lights were not functioning anymore and this happened around the same time the electrical problems started. I assumed that this might be the cause of the problems, which it was for about 50%. After checking the cables and connections I found out that somehow the cables were misconnected.

After sorting this the headlights suddenly failed but the rearlights were still working, which was another riddle for me so it was back to following the cables to see what was wrong. Suddenly, while moving the cables, I saw a load of sparks comming from a location near the bobine. This is the location where a terminator block is located and a number of wires were loose there, everytime they touched the framwork it caused a lot of sparkes.

Saturday I'm going to reconnect the wires there, after I found out how to reconnect them and the Dodge will be ready for it's next failure eehrm I mean trip :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

After a long pause another update on the Dodge works!

Yesterday we worked on the brakes, which was a neccesitiy since I could only operate them when I pumped the pedal.

First we jacked up the front and removed the wheels:

As you can see on the brake shoes they were not correctly aligned:

Sanded the inside:

All set for the re-alignment of the brake shoes:

In action:

The left front wheel proved a challenge, we needed to heat the bolts to get be able to get them off, they were so locked in together:

Front wheels done, now lets move to the rearwheels:

Too bad it started raining but we cleaned an re-aligned them all.

Then we took out the air that in the brake lines and voila, I have good working brakes!

All in all it took us 6 hours but it was worth it!

IMG_8243.jpg

IMG_8250.jpg

IMG_8249.jpg

IMG_8244.jpg

IMG_8247.jpg

IMG_8245.jpg

IMG_8246.jpg

IMG_8248.jpg

Edited by Joris

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

After a long pause where work was done on a lot of parts of the Dodge but I wasn't writing down stuff now it's time for a biggy.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy a new engine, not a T214 but a MOWAG (power wagon engine). I will keep you updated on the progress and will try and get the pics in this thread working again.

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

While I'm at it, I promised a few posts back (which means over 5 years later!) to post about my adventure with the fuel problem back in February 2006.

To freshen up our memory here I quote the original post:

This weekend was one of ups and downs. We removed the old markings of the 30th inf div and repainted some rusty parts which was great fun and we drove around in it for quite a distance. All went well untill we were forced to stop due to lack of fuel, which was quite a surprise because the fuelgauge said we still had plenty of fuel. We walked to a nearby petrol station to get some fuel after which the Dodge was mobile again, for about a mile. Then it stopped and refused to start again. What had happened, the bottom of the tank was filled with dirt and an enigine can't run on that crap. We got the AA and they got me driving again using a can of gasoline, an electric pump and a fuel line going directly into the carburator. As if this wasn't enough the electrical system started to go bananas and short circuited so the AA guy made a bypass there too. Finally after 4 hours of misery and an interesting drive we got back to base.....

Pictures will follow (sometime)

It all started off well:

DSC00669.JPG

We drove the rally and all was well (including the weather):

DSC00673.JPG

No we did not break down yet, we were just trying to figure out the route:

DSC00676.JPG

DSC00677.JPG

Then we broke down (this is the second time, after getting it running one mile) with, ironic enough, fuel problems!

DSC00678.JPG

The AA to the rescue!

DSC00680.JPG

DSC00683.JPG

DSC00684.JPG

Then they started multiplying!

DSC00689.JPG

And you can see the work-around in action:

DSC00690.JPG

I have some vids of it which I will put together and upload in a minute.

Yesterday evening we worked at the engines again with the intention of putting the new engine in the Dodge and work from there. Fortunately my mate had the good idea to see if the gearbox would fit on the new engines clutch housing. As you might recall we are not using a T214 engine but a 1952 MOWAG engine.

As it turned out, it did not fit and we had to take the clutch from the old engine and put it on the new engine. This sounds fairly easy yet it did not turn out to be so.

When we took out the old engine we noticed that the engine support (damper) on the front was broken (two slices of metal with one slice of rubber) and we wondered what happened. Yesterday we found out that the guidance pins in the clutch housing were bent and the only way to remove the housing was to cut through the pins. Apparently the Dodge was in some sort of accident which caused the engine to break the front support and was lifted up a bit bending the pins in the clutch housing. All in all we spent almost an hour trying to remove the housing!

When we finally got it off and removed the flywheel, which was of the same size but had a different number of teeth.

And we removed the clutch housing, clutch from the new engine and then called it a night!

Here are the two flywheels:

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg