FUEL- additive or no additive that is the...

Jack

Having witnessed the mess made of valves and heads on some vehicles not using an additive I bit rhe bullet a long time ago and treated the GMC to Broquet, a pelleted additive which is simply dropped in the tank and will last the lifetime of the vehicle. It appears to improve fuel consumption and the guarantee is very comprehensive and reassuring in that the company will pay for any repairs/a new engine if any damage is caused by use of the product. Usual disclaimers.

Having witnessed the mess made of valves and heads on some vehicles not using an additive I bit rhe bullet a long time ago and treated the GMC to Broquet, a pelleted additive which is simply dropped in the tank and will last the lifetime of the vehicle. It appears to improve fuel consumption and the guarantee is very comprehensive and reassuring in that the company will pay for any repairs/a new engine if any damage is caused by use of the product. Usual disclaimers.

Be very careful with these, as they cannot prove they work. Check with the Federation of Historic Vehicle clubs or 'Practical Classics' magazine for more advice as a few years ago there was, I beleive, some serious concerns about their advertising claims. Can anyone else remember the case?

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Be very careful with these, as they cannot prove they work. Check with the Federation of Historic Vehicle clubs or 'Practical Classics' magazine for more advice as a few years ago there was, I beleive, some serious concerns about their advertising claims. Can anyone else remember the case?

I am with Degsy on this,i use Morrisons which came out top in one of the mags,not readily available as you might think,Unlike Tony B i do drive round M25 like a boy racer.i use it because todays petrol is rubbish,nearly as bad as the old pool petrol,i have proved that i can now wind up the distributor to run more advanced,without pinging(correct word dont know where pink came from).Gas analasis both static and dynamic show a marked inprovement in emissions,So sorry Joris your enviroment comment doesnt stand up.I use it purely to inprove the running efficiency not to protect valves and seats as for me i dont believe its an issue.B40.Burley Boys Ferret which doesnt go out enough has also benefitted from this treatment cured all his backfiring problems.This modern petrol seems to

cause a lot of problems when under bonnet temps rise due to traffic jams etc.I have found an electric pump with a fine bleed back cures this,i only use it when conditions require it.BRING BACK 5 STAR :-D:-D:-D

Having read an enormous amount on the web about Broquet I agree that nothing has been scientifically proved but there again nothing has been disproved that I can find either but over nearly 10,000 miles it has definitely improved fuel consumption and the tappets etc have not needed to be touched. Coming from the ' If it aint broke don't fix it' school I have no intention of pulling the head to examine things or for that matter touching anything else. Having said that I am a great believer in correct maintainence and this is done as a matter of routine.

Quote from Catweazel 'today's petrol is rubbish, nearly as bad as the old pool petrol'

Showing your age again there boy, can't be many on here that have a clue what you are talking about:???:-D

Not that old read about it somewhere:-D

I had a Broquet in the Montego, impossible to convert to unleaded, well about 150,000 mile later cam belt went. The Broquet then went into a Subaru 1800 took it for an MOT, the tester Dave is looking at the gas analisyser shaking his head, What's up mate? Engine's running so lean it shouldn't go, what have you done? Well put a Brocquet in it, Ah, fine no problem then . Close bonnet sign MOT. The Brocquet was originally developed acording to the blurb for Russia, they were loosing more Spitfire's through bad fuel than enemy action, the Brocquets in that case were huge things un the bowsers not the aircraft. The experts poo hoo them, all I can say haveing had mine for years in about 7 diffrent vehicles, every time vehicle goes Brocquet come out and into next one, they do seem to work, I have noticed the diffrnce after a couple of hundred miles.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Guess what the spells finished ,now who can i test it on.:-DJust finished a spare rear axle but i would never sell it.

A Broquet is a tin alloy, in contact with a mild steel case it acts on the fuel, the chemistry I don't know. they come in two types, a steel tube which fits in the fuel line, for £.5 litre engines and above and a mesh tube filled with what look like large silver imprial mints, these drop in tank , up to about 1800 cc 2 litres. got a lot of slating from the so called 'informed ' motor magazines, but no one knows how catalyts truly work, they take no active part in a chemical reaction, but the reaction won't work without. originally developed by roger Broquet (If I remember his name properly) They were developed in Russia, and still used I belive to overcome poor quality fuel in aircraft. cant photograph one they are in the tanks, on a wire so I can get them out if neded. the other joy they never seem to wear out.

Hi Guys,

A few years ago Cliff Povey introduced me to a guy at the IMPS Sellinge do when they had them, this guy lived on Sheppey near Cliff and he was selling a system that consisted of an inline attachment and some pellets in what looked like a fabric net bag, like you used to get sugared almonds in years ago that dropped into the tank. The inline attachment was so you could run on unleaded fuel and the "almonds" was I believe to stop the fuel degrading over the winter when not used, mebbe this is the same thing With regards to what it looks like with the head off, I seem to have had the head off Bertha more times than seems to be fair and I haven't seen any build up of "muck"

Regards,

John.