Repairing and sealing canvas

ferrettkitt

Question

Repairing canvas

I've just bought myself the canvas for my swb land rover unfortunately it has a hole in it what's the best way to repair it and then re-seal it.

Sealing canvas

A friend of a friend has mentioned that Thompson’s water seal is an effective way of sealing the canvas after it has been cleaned and allowed to dry. Anyone heard of this??

Andy

22 answers to this question

Many thanks all chuffed with the answers; absolutely amazed to find that Thompson’s actually does the job I was expecting to pay big money. I thought it might be one of those urban myth things! Best of all though I actually have a tin of the stuff in my garage

Andy

OK...don't laugh....is it true you can repaint your canvas with ordinary emulsion paint and then proof it with thompsons? I read it somewhere on some forum, but cannot remember where.

Just cleaned mine...its green on the inside and white outside...just want to get it looking half decent while I convince someone I need a new one.

Painted canvas was traditionally used as the roofing material for travelling showmen's waggons - canvas fixed over the roof first and then thoroughlly painted to seal it - although I would imagine back then it would have been (whisper it) lead paint . :shake:

Andy, when you patch a hole it must be with old material as new material will shrink. The patch can be glued on or if stitching, done in this sequence to encourage the water to fall away from the joins. As described in Manual of Army Ordnance Services Volume 1. Pamphlet No.22. Instructions for the repair of tentage & covers waterproof.

Canvasrepair.jpg

The official stuff for waterproofing canvas is Mystox.

http://www.catomance.co.uk/pdf/Tent_Reproofing.pdf

I believe the 101 Club sell it to members

This is actually Olive Drab, but it will blend in with NATO Green on the rest of the vehicle quite well. If you want IRR NATO Green you must not use vehicle paint as it will damage the canvas. You should use:

Paint, finishing, IRR, emulsion, matt, NATO green air drying

H1/8010-99-225-0094

Andy, when you patch a hole it must be with old material as new material will shrink. The patch can be glued on or if stitching, done in this sequence to encourage the water to fall away from the joins. As described in Manual of Army Ordnance Services Volume 1. Pamphlet No.22. Instructions for the repair of tentage & covers waterproof.

I was wondering what was the best way to seal the hole and make it look tidy. I've have a few pieces of old canvas. All I need to do now is to get on the right side of the missus, that old singer sowing machine might just be up to the job so the old dear says.

Many thanks

Clive

It's all easier said than done but this is the overall shape of things, whilst incorporating the folds from the other diagrams.

Canvasrepair2.jpg

If you are planning on organising your missus to do the repair properly in your workshop, you should allow 150 sq ft per sewing machine & appoint the following staff:

Supervisor

Chargehand

Textile refitters

Tent repairers

Labourers

Oh no John you've got completely the wrong idea.

Canvasrepair3.jpg

When I first asked about repairing canvas a few years ago I missed this bit... it goes without saying that I'm the labourer. The Land Rover has gone and an RB requires a canvas repair.

I'm just waiting for the thread to come via ebay. I have a few pictures to upload of canvas repairs none of them match the 'official' way of doing it I might add!

It's all easier said than done but this is the overall shape of things, whilst incorporating the folds from the other diagrams.

Are there more diagrams available of this patching method. How do you sew from the inside seam along the top yet sew to the outside along the base, and transfer the fabric from inside to outside along the sides?

Doug

Are there more diagrams available of this patching method. How do you sew from the inside seam along the top yet sew to the outside along the base, and transfer the fabric from inside to outside along the sides?

Doug

I just downloaded the whole book, US one has heaps of info

[ATTACH]38618[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38616[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38617[/ATTACH]