A.E.C. Militant MK 1 Gallery

My dad has recently found some old pictures which he took and newspaper cuttings up the loft from the 1970's! Although the pictures are small hopefully they will be of interest.

The first picture is one of Circus Hoffman's militant.

003.jpg

The second picture shows two pics of Sir Robert Fossett's Circus militant's.

002-1.jpg

I was turning out the photo cupboard today looking for Matador pictures, and found these. Taken at the Kemble airfield show in 2007, part of which was the 11th gathering of the Mat and Milli Owners Club.

This one belonged to a guy called Nathan Cooper and was being broken up. I bought loads of bits from him for mine

This is my Militant when in the hands of its previous owner. I think picture was taken in 2004 at a show in Norfolk

Jasper Waite N-S web.jpg

Militant Cargo web.jpg

militant with hyab web.jpg

Nathan Coopers Militant web.jpg

375 UXK web.jpg

Not a bad days shopping, Andy. Got nearly everything I wanted for mine. She might look well stripped, but a lot of it has been removed to secure storage to help keep the "borrowers" at bay. Doors, glass and the atlas crane are all still available.

The old dear is going to live on anyway, once stripped the chassis and rear axles are to be converted into as farm trailer

DSC00910 web.jpg

DSC00909 web.jpg

DSC00911 web.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The M.O.T. test ran out on my Militant last Wednesday. Doh! Another year has rushed by. I phoned to book it through VOSA on Friday, and after 5 minutes finally got passed through to my local test station, only to find that at 3pm the "class" tester had already gone home, and would phone me on Monday.

This he did at 10.30. He soon remebered the truck from last year, and asked if I'd removed the rear propshaft as he had suggested at the end of the test last year, essentially so that he could do a proper class brake test. I said that I hadn't and that he should test the vehicle as presented, and carry out a Tapley test. At this point he got quite heated and refused to test my vehicle, suggesting that I take it elsewhere!!!

I ended up talking to the station manager, who saw both sides of the argument, and who said he'd look into the rules, and call me back. Meanwhile a friend checked elsewhere through official channels including VOSA's testing policy unit, and all agreed that the vehicle has to be tested as presented, the tester was wrong to suggest removing the propshaft, he can't refuse to test the vehicle (assuming it's clean I'd guess?), and there's no reason he can't use a Tapley gauge.

The test centre manager eventually called back at 3.30, and agreed that they would test it, and use the Tapley gauge. The only slight issue is that the earliest date now is the 11 July, which only leave 6 days until running up to the War and Peace show.

Jules

The M.O.T. test ran out on my Militant last Wednesday. Doh! Another year has rushed by. I phoned to book it through VOSA on Friday, and after 5 minutes finally got passed through to my local test station, only to find that at 3pm the "class" tester had already gone home, and would phone me on Monday.

This he did at 10.30. He soon remebered the truck from last year, and asked if I'd removed the rear propshaft as he had suggested at the end of the test last year, essentially so that he could do a proper class brake test. I said that I hadn't and that he should test the vehicle as presented, and carry out a Tapley test. At this point he got quite heated and refused to test my vehicle, suggesting that I take it elsewhere!!!

I ended up talking to the station manager, who saw both sides of the argument, and who said he'd look into the rules, and call me back. Meanwhile a friend checked elsewhere through official channels including VOSA's testing policy unit, and all agreed that the vehicle has to be tested as presented, the tester was wrong to suggest removing the propshaft, he can't refuse to test the vehicle (assuming it's clean I'd guess?), and there's no reason he can't use a Tapley gauge.

The test centre manager eventually called back at 3.30, and agreed that they would test it, and use the Tapley gauge. The only slight issue is that the earliest date now is the 11 July, which only leave 6 days until running up to the War and Peace show.

Jules

Bloody people ! Up the revolution comrade :nut:

• 3 weeks later...

Found this old lady lurking in some woods in Hampshire. Anybody recognise it? it came from Norfolk way a few years ago

The derrick and land anchor etc have now got my name on them, but its owner is open to offers for all or part of the rest of it, otherwise it will be going to the torch shortly. I can PM contact details for anyone who is interested

mili web.jpg

This old girl has just turned up 3 miles from my home, I had a quick look around it today. There is no cab roof, no body, but it only shows 18000 miles on it. It look like someone started to restore it and did not finish. im going for a good look around it tomorrow and to talk about how much. It looks like a project too far for me and I may well break it if I do buy it. I will keep you all posted.

Can anyone date it for me ? Chassis number is O860 111

Cheers

DSCF0053.1.jpg

Can anyone date it for me ? Chassis number is O860 111

Cheers

Chassis number on mine is 0860 211 and it left the factory Dec '54 and into service in Feb '55. As yours is 100 before mine it would suggest early to middle '54. Best of luck if you go for it.

Looks like it has been in use, without the cab top, as grab handles have been fitted both sides of the cab entry and mirror arms fitted.

That did occur to me as well, but i thought no one could be that stupid living in the north of England !

I hate the idea of breaking it, but its just too much of a job for me to take on and with no body its just not worth it. I will do everything in my power to sell ALL the parts and make sure as little as possible ends up in a Chinese power.

Chassis number on mine is 0860 211 and it left the factory Dec '54 and into service in Feb '55. As yours is 100 before mine it would suggest early to middle '54. Best of luck if you go for it.

Thanks for the info. it is quite an early one then. That will make me feel even worse if I do break it. I have spoken to the chap selling it again and it is not a bad price. I will try and buy it tomorrow. Bet i end up keeping the thing. but it must be fate as its only 3 miles away.

Well another case of heart ruling the head, I have bought it. but with a new baby coming in the next 4 weeks and being busy at work, i may not pick it up for a while.

will keep you all posted.

By the way, what was the gearbox PTO used for?

Well another case of heart ruling the head, I have bought it. but with a new baby coming in the next 4 weeks and being busy at work, i may not pick it up for a while.

Good man !! :D:D:D:D:D

Think I spotted winch fittings, so probably a winch drive, as it is a short w.b. chassis, most likely a artillery tractor version.

Good man, another Militant saved. Dont worry about how long it takes, I've been at mine for over 5 years now, and it still hasn't been on the road yet!!

By the way, as you can see from my post yesterday a cab top half has turned up in Hampshire :D

May also have been a tipper - end or three way. They were SWB and used the PTO to drive the hydraulics for the ram.

According to Pat Ware in his book Tugs of War, only the Artillery Tractors were short wheel base and 6 wheel drive. The winch rollers on the front would also suggest Artillery, although that is the wrong bumper for the chassis number. The later models had the rollers under the bumper, early ones like this one were mounted inside the bumper frame.

The other way to check would be through the Military contract number. This should be on a brass plate on the engine cover (assuming it hasn't been lost over the years) Artillery tractors were on contracts 6/Veh/8238/CB27a, 15035, 23295 and 26136

I will try and get the contract number next time i look at it. The one thing i am still confused about, is why it has a gearbox PTO. The winch is driven off the transfer box (like my Matador), but this has a PTO off the main gearbox, it has a sprocket on the end of it. I would say that this was an original fitting as the handle to engage it sits in a recess at the back of the engine cover on the passenger side and looks like a factory job, not a bodge at all. The fuel tank is also mounted behind the cab, but this could have been done by anyone.

Do artillery tractors use the gearbox PTO for anything?

I will also take more photos next time i see it.

Phew! I got the Militant through it's M.O.T. test today. Result! No major dramas, although the brake test was interesting with the Tapley meter. The test centre boundary and fence seemed to be getting too close for comfort, so I anchored up at about 17mph rather than 20mph. This gave a reading of 51% which was good enough, and would have probably been better had there been enough space to get the last 3mph.

The £100 of diesel is only about 1/3 of a tank now, compared to 1/2 a tank last year. Ouch! Now I just need to get rub her down and paint in time for W & P! Re-skin the inner roof of the cab, service the Atlas crane, change the engine oil, have a major re-org of the box body, etc........

Jules

Phew! I got the Militant through it's M.O.T. test today. Result! No major dramas, although the brake test was interesting with the Tapley meter. The test centre boundary and fence seemed to be getting too close for comfort, so I anchored up at about 17mph rather than 20mph. This gave a reading of 51% which was good enough, and would have probably been better had there been enough space to get the last 3mph.

The £100 of diesel is only about 1/3 of a tank now, compared to 1/2 a tank last year. Ouch! Now I just need to get rub her down and paint in time for W & P! Re-skin the inner roof of the cab, service the Atlas crane, change the engine oil, have a major re-org of the box body, etc........

Jules

Well done mate ! :D

I will try and get the contract number next time i look at it. The one thing i am still confused about, is why it has a gearbox PTO. The winch is driven off the transfer box (like my Matador), but this has a PTO off the main gearbox, it has a sprocket on the end of it. I would say that this was an original fitting as the handle to engage it sits in a recess at the back of the engine cover on the passenger side and looks like a factory job, not a bodge at all. The fuel tank is also mounted behind the cab, but this could have been done by anyone.

Do artillery tractors use the gearbox PTO for anything?

I will also take more photos next time i see it.

Would like to see the pictures when you get them. Mine is definitely an Arty tractor but has not got a PTO. That said I'm not 100% sure (senior moment here), I'll have to have a good look next time I'm working on it, it certainly hasn't any control lever in the cab. Very interesting :undecided: :undecided: :undecided: