Hello all,

I hope this is the place for my question. I ve heared about a Rogers tank transport trailer which

was converted in WW2 (by engineers?) to mount a revolving crane- therefore a "crane trailer"

instead of a trailer with a crane... I dont know if this was done by american, canadian or british

forces but I believe there is a picture in a book.

Can someone provide more information? Thanks a lot.

Juergen Kurz; Salzburg/ Austria

Hello all,

I hope this is the place for my question. I ve heared about a Rogers tank transport trailer which

was converted in WW2 (by engineers?) to mount a revolving crane- therefore a "crane trailer"

instead of a trailer with a crane... I dont know if this was done by american, canadian or british

forces but I believe there is a picture in a book.

Can someone provide more information? Thanks a lot.

Juergen Kurz; Salzburg/ Austria

Hi, In response to your question I think this is what you are looking for. The trailer was not "Rogers" but the 40 ton British Crane Tank Trailer. The crane on the back, I think was similar to the "Ransomes" which had a capacity of 60 tons and when not in use folded back onto the trailer. The crane did not swivel so the trailer had to be positioned correctly for the lift. Originally used by REME, several were purchased by Wynn's Heavy Haulage of Newport and I think Wynn's called them Brabazon's.

Hope of interest.

Tony Graves

DT&Trailer.jpg

Thanks dizzy-t and Tony for your replies!

Yes its the last one (but I must say the Diamond T with crane looks very interesting as well!). I thought it was a Rogers trailer for some reason. I wonder if more photos are existing, in its civil life by Wynns...

Juergen

Thanks dizzy-t and Tony for your replies!

Yes its the last one (but I must say the Diamond T with crane looks very interesting as well!). I thought it was a Rogers trailer for some reason. I wonder if more photos are existing, in its civil life by Wynns...

Juergen

I have a video (somewhere) of Wynns actually using this trailer/crane, when a gantry crane fell off a trailer & they had to turn the load (whilst off the trailers) & re load it, if I can find the video I will put the name of it on this site.

I have a video (somewhere) of Wynns actually using this trailer/crane, when a gantry crane fell off a trailer & they had to turn the load (whilst off the trailers) & re load it, if I can find the video I will put the name of it on this site.

The video is named as Wynns Volume 2, this film has a Brabazon Crane, plus some film of Diamond T's.

A big "Thank you" to all who helped so far!:) I will certainly order the Wynns DVD. Interesting to hear it was used by REME, I saw 100s of REME photos but none with this trailer before...

:wow:Les, do you have a bigger photo, this one is not "expandable"?

Juergen, Salzburg

hi juergenkurz, for a better picture of the ransomes crane trailer at work go to stonehenge erection of trilithon lintel in 1958, it is a british heritage site. we have never found who did the work at stonehenge, diamond ts were used but with no trade names on them, stonehenge purists say the ressurection of the site never took place, hope of interest, tony g.

Here's a posing question, was the dead 969 being towed or pushed?

Bearing in mind the 969 wasn't as heavy as the 980/981 I would imagine that it was being towed, by the pickup, but seeing as we dont know what was on the back end I suppose it could have been pushed, Its amazing how much can be towed by pickups, I once had a Bedford TK tpper on the back of my S1 Land Rover, this had 10 tons of gravel in it.:drive:

hi juergenkurz, for a better picture of the ransomes crane trailer at work go to stonehenge erection of trilithon lintel in 1958, it is a british heritage site. we have never found who did the work at stonehenge, diamond ts were used but with no trade names on them, stonehenge purists say the ressurection of the site never took place, hope of interest, tony g.

I have tried to find this site, but Google is unable to do the honours, Tony G, can you put a reference onto this page please.

Cheers. dizzy-t.:drive:

Hy Tony (Thanks a lot!) and dizzy-T,

I ve found a lot of information by entering the words "Stonehenge", "crane" and "1958" but not with Google web search but picture search. Even a short video sequence have a look here:

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist/ITN/1958/07/10/FS100758002/?v=0&a=1

I found out that this particular crane trailer wasnt from Wynns but borrowed from the RAF, therefore they must kept some untill the late 50s (a colour picture by the search does show a dark blue colour of the trailer)

Juergen

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Smithy, not sure but i think Harper on this thread now owns this one and took

it back from Manchester to Sweden. At one time it used to be down at the helicopter

museum in Weston super Mare.

cheers

MACCDT

hi. yes, i have it now. that was my first diamond T.[ATTACH=CONFIG]53236[/ATTACH]

Cheers guys for that, good to see that it is still around.

Hi All, I was driving through Carentan on Sunday and saw this Diamond 981 parked at Paratrooper Vehicles. It is quite original with a Hercules diesel and wouldn't take too much to put back to standard. The cab is quite good and I think it has been restored before. It is in the colours of the US Navy and by the look of it, it is a non runner but has been kept under cover. I know the people at Paratrooper Vehicles and if it is for sale I will post the price. It would make a good project.

Hope of interest.

Tony G

DSCF0719.jpg

DSCF0718.jpg

DSCF0717.jpg

DSCF0716.jpg

Hi All, I was driving through Carentan on Sunday and saw this Diamond 981 parked at Paratrooper Vehicles. It is quite original with a Hercules diesel and wouldn't take too much to put back to standard. The cab is quite good and I think it has been restored before. It is in the colours of the US Navy and by the look of it, it is a non runner but has been kept under cover. I know the people at Paratrooper Vehicles and if it is for sale I will post the price. It would make a good project.

Hope of interest.

Tony G

Hi Tony. The Diamond T looks in good condition, if I had the money who knows, sadly David Cameron wont give me a sub on my pension to buy it, but I hope it goes to a good home. Thanks for putting it on the thread. Any chance Tony of getting some more info on the T for the Diamond T Register, would be good to be able to add it to the list.

Regards from

Dick Smith:drive:

Edited by dizzy-t
Wish to add a few more lines

hi,the diamond on the low loader is ex rex cadmans, it originally had a yellow erf cab on it, it has a rolls royce c6 diesel but it is in a bad shape, i first saw it about 20 years ago and two months ago when i went to visit rex for couple of beers, i am pleased someone has had the courage to have a go at it. i have a photo of it from 20 years ago, i will find it and post on this site, all the best tony g.