I`ve seen several cab conversions but i don`t know what to make of this one.

in fact the cab is the only nice bit.

A lot of people use the phrase saved from the scrap yard, i think this one needs putting out of it`s misery.

France eh!

Hi Olle nice to meet you again this weekend, as you can see I did go back and have a look at your trucks, thanks for the tip David.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33898[/ATTACH]hej. my name is olle eriksson and im from sweden.it has been very quiet on this page for a while so i hope to do something about it. picture is a week old. it showes my diamond t 980 with rogers and my t-34. i,ll be back with more pitures if this works out. olle

Not too sure about the attic floor on the rear (of the Wynns one), but good to see it at WaP, there were four booked in I only saw two, and we had a ride in Phill's 980 Sat night video here( not the BBC)

. Thanks for that, smooth ride, engine sounded well. I was pleasantly surprised what the two stroke was like, to hear and see. Always had visions of some thing like a TS3.

Mr Nash's 980

I need to get organised for next year and see if I can get mine down. I bought a few bits from the stalls that fit in two small bullet boxes and spent £300.00 mind you the reprint manual is a gold mine of information. David.

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

I hadn't seen this one before until last week at W&P.

055.jpg

Not sure but i think this one belonged to Graham Booth. it appears in the Diamond T section on classic commercials

with a totally different paint finish.

interesting backbody fitted

cheers MaccDT

025.jpg

Not sure but i think this one belonged to Graham Booth. it appears in the Diamond T section on classic commercials

cheers MaccDT

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48851[/ATTACH]

It was listed as HV78 Diamond T 980 1942 USA Arthur Carter Chorley.

David.

Maccdt did you say you were going to Pickering? Is that the Steam Rally, and if so which way are you going?

David.

Maccdt did you say you were going to Pickering? Is that the Steam Rally, and if so which way are you going?

I think that you will find that Pickering is the railway weekend, North Yorkshire.

I have been reading this thread with a great deal of interest, and I must say that I have found it to be extremely interesting. In 1955 my family were in the scrap / war surplus business, I was 17 / 18 years old, the site was very large with its own internal roadway. Amongst other vehicles we had a Diamond "T" that we used for pushing or dragging stuff about the site. I did most of the driving in that truck, we were in and out of it so much that we removed the drivers door.

I was at that time waiting to be conscripted into the army, I loved that truck so much that I knew what I wanted to do, I wanted to join the RASC and get into one of the tank transporter Co`s. I was inducted in the first week of January 1956, but not into the RASC, I went into the REME. Can you imagine driving around at 17 / 18 in a D/T and being paid for it!!!!

Happy days. That truck had not been restored in 1955, it was still like new. :kissoncheek:

cheers MaccDT

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48851[/ATTACH]

painted in wynns colours but i bet never was in service with them with that kit on the back having said that Holmes 750 DT truck would parked sideways on and anchored would out pull a lot of modern day £200.000 trucks

hi all, the diamond did belong to graham booth many years ago but was bought by queens motors of penge who,s owner used to drive the wrecker nearly forty years ago. the original rolls c6 went bang and the engine was replaced with a 335 supercharged cummins which came out of wynn,s famous 192 pacific after it was scrapped. the wrecking gear is not a dummy, the booms have yet to be fitted to complete the crane, the floor is also made of wood as arthur carter the owner is waiting for the holmes back body to be delivered, hope of interest tony g.

Hi Olle nice to meet you again this weekend, as you can see I did go back and have a look at your trucks, thanks for the tip David.

thanks david. hope all get well with your diamond and we hopfully see it at W&P next year. olle

David.

Hi David, spending all my money in getting down to Dorset this year for the first time so i will probably

go on foot to Pickering, it was excellent on the Saturday when i visited last year.

p.m. sent re DT parts

cheers

MaccDT

hi all, the diamond did belong to graham booth many years ago but was bought by queens motors of penge who,s owner used to drive the wrecker nearly forty years ago. the original rolls c6 went bang and the engine was replaced with a 335 supercharged cummins which came out of wynn,s famous 192 pacific after it was scrapped. the wrecking gear is not a dummy, the booms have yet to be fitted to complete the crane, the floor is also made of wood as arthur carter the owner is waiting for the holmes back body to be delivered, hope of interest tony g.

Hi i mentioned it because i could see no way of operating the recovery gear. But as you say if recovery body on its way it will have controls built in. Truly green with envy of truck with that gear on and working it is even now the ultimate wrecker i would want when the job gets tough

painted in wynns colours but i bet never was in service with them with that kit on the back having said that Holmes 750 DT truck would parked sideways on and anchored would out pull a lot of modern day £200.000 trucks

The Diamond T in question is only part way through restoration and has been done in an open field. I encouraged the owner to get it running and out on the road as I have seen so many restorations stall through lack of interest. This one works, is legal and pulls well. we used it to pull a stores trailer from the Ardingly Vintage and Classic Vehicle show which was it's first outing.

The vehicle was not used by Wynns but Arthur was given permission by John Wynn to put in their colours and he even gave the guy the correct fleet number for their Diamond T recovery.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, the body has yet to be delivered. The rest of the recover gear is awaiting fiment hence why only part of it and the wooden body. Below the wooden body is some ballast weights to keep the backside down.

Considering the conditons and limited resources available for this restoration I think we should all compliment the owner and encourage him to finish it off.

The Diamond T in question is only part way through restoration and has been done in an open field. I encouraged the owner to get it running and out on the road as I have seen so many restorations stall through lack of interest. This one works, is legal and pulls well. we used it to pull a stores trailer from the Ardingly Vintage and Classic Vehicle show which was it's first outing.

The vehicle was not used by Wynns but Arthur was given permission by John Wynn to put in their colours and he even gave the guy the correct fleet number for their Diamond T recovery.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, the body has yet to be delivered. The rest of the recover gear is awaiting fiment hence why only part of it and the wooden body. Below the wooden body is some ballast weights to keep the backside down.

Considering the conditons and limited resources available for this restoration I think we should all compliment the owner and encourage him to finish it off.

I think we should compliment all persons who take the time & hard earned money to restore all old vehicles, I admire anybody doing it, & just wish I could as well, but I have to admit I am not that clever, nor do I have the money to do so, nor the money to buy the vehicle in the first place, so I take my hat off to all you guys who are doing what you love to do. Thanks to you we are able to view a living history. dizzy-t:tup:::iamsmiling::drive:

I think we should compliment all persons who take the time & hard earned money to restore all old vehicles, I admire anybody doing it, & just wish I could as well, but I have to admit I am not that clever, nor do I have the money to do so, nor the money to buy the vehicle in the first place, so I take my hat off to all you guys who are doing what you love to do. Thanks to you we are able to view a living history. dizzy-t:tup:::iamsmiling::drive:

If you have a club ( Such as the MVT) in your area, you will not need money to become involved in restoration work on these old war horses, just join and offer to help and you will reap, quite rightly, all the benifits of ownership without the financial burden. You will get to shows, here and abroad, where you will be fully involved in all aspects of this fun that we enjoy on a regular basis. :goodidea:

That's good news,and answers a lot of questions, it seems you know Arthur, if so when he gets more gear fitted to the T you'll have to update us and get a few pics on. Thanks David.

Hi All, just a few photos of the Diamond. It is nearly finished. I have just bought the 2 pack silver paint in England (the paint here is rubbish) so it ois just the wheels, back body and crane to paint. I will post more pictures when she is finished. The engine has been in bits , new head gaskets. I sourced a good pair of wings (ex. Italian). The doors, cab and bonnets have all been re-built.

DSCF0676.jpg

DSCF0675.jpg

DSCF0674.jpg

DSCF0673.jpg

• 3 weeks later...