Well we had the low loader out again today, my mate Nige bought a 980 so here are a few pictures.

IMAG0152.jpg

Towing the T out of her shed

IMAG0153.jpgDaylight at last

IMAG0154.jpg

Recognise this?

IMAG0155.jpg

Left on her own now

IMAG0157.jpg

Well safely arrived at South Yorkshire Transport Museum.

Does any one know where I'll get some brake valve diaphragms from? I need one for a relay valve, quick release, and a low air pressure. Thanks David.

DT980

Land Rovers various

Edited by Peak1
Punctuation

Well we had the low loader out again today, my mate Nige bought a 980 so here are a few pictures.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59138[/ATTACH]

Towing the T out of her shed

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59139[/ATTACH]Daylight at last

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59140[/ATTACH]

Recognise this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59141[/ATTACH]

Left on her own now

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59142[/ATTACH]

Well safely arrived at South Yorkshire Transport Museum.

Does any one know where I'll get some brake valve diaphragms from? I need one for a relay valve, quick release, and a low air pressure. Thanks David.

DT980

Land Rovers various

She looks good just like that mate ! Will you refit a ballast box ? Good to see the Blackpool 969 survives if looking a little unloved at the moment !

Well we had the low loader out again today, my mate Nige bought a 980 so here are a few pictures....

David -that truck originally worked for a living in Suffolk - I recall going to see her in the late 80's when she first found a safe home. No winch at that time and both doors were blue, so she has received a little bit of attention since!

If your mate hasn't got any of her history, I can help with some info.

Tony

the driver of the blackpool one used to come in my dads shop , he loved driving it , he said one arm was shorter than the other on the back not sure if correct tho

I had a friend (Bill Dalton) who lived near Oldham and at one time drove the Blackpool Diamond T, this wouldn't be the same person would it? One arm is longer than the other, not sure the reason though

I had a friend (Bill Dalton) who lived near Oldham and at one time drove the Blackpool Diamond T, this wouldn't be the same person would it? One arm is longer than the other, not sure the reason though

cant remember his name mate , think he had the original handbook for it too , he wore glasses and had a beard if i remember correctly..........

hi tony b, i clearly remember the diamond at swanley all those years ago, it was called the black knight and had chrome wheel trims and was painted black and gold and in beautiful condition, it was a petrol 6x6 969 with standard holmes w45 recovery gear , hope of interest, tony g,

David -that truck originally worked for a living in Suffolk - I recall going to see her in the late 80's when she first found a safe home. No winch at that time and both doors were blue, so she has received a little bit of attention since!

If your mate hasn't got any of her history, I can help with some info.

Tony

Nigel says yes please but he can not see this forum now as he only has a hotmail address. I can fwd stuff, we are going to see if we can get his POP3 working, he uses a dongle from a mobile company.

Nigel says yes please ...

OK, I sent the photos you posted to a friend who has compared them with his own photos, and has decided he is 98% certain it was once his truck. I think I'm more certain than he is!!

It was worked as a wrecker by a company (he thinks called Thurlow?) in Stowmarket, Suffolk. It had a reputation for breaking down whenever it went out on a job.

It was bought by a recovery operator at Needham Market around 1982 who removed the TFL gear from the back and put it on an AEC, and sold the chassis cab to my friend. He sold it on around 1993, and it moved on again not long later.

He is trying to confirm the name of the company who used it, will let you know.

Of course you do realise there is a 2% chance this information is not correct!

i dont think i have put this up before, many years ago i commissioned a painting of this image which hangs in our study

Very nice Les ! I was reading one of your old articles about Scammell Explorer's today in Vintage Commercial Vehicle magazine from June 1987 during a quiet moment at work ! Nice one ! :D:D:D:D

Hi All

I took these photos of Arthur Carter's Diamond T a couple of weeks ago. The wooden back body has been replaced with a cut down Diamond balast body. He has a fair way to go yet but the conditions he has had to work in has been horrendous (snow, rain and wind) and he has tried his best with very little money. Hopefully it will be finished for the new rally season.. Hope of interest. Tony G.

I dont know Mr carter other than by name and reputation but i used to be green with envy at the trucks he drove just nicked this picture of a T of another site its had a wheel base extension kept its original garwood winch + plus a holmes crane must have been the ultimate in its day and would still give modern day recovery truck run for its money (with an operator like Mr Carter at the controls)

image040.jpg

Edited by cosrec

Oops! After D-Day, 450 Transporter Co RASC were on the move inland. This outfit suffered a trailer puncture and was left behind to catch up as best it could once the wheel was changed. They were directed to take a short cut to save a bit of time.......

Scan03272012_152245.jpg

OK, I sent the photos you posted to a friend who has compared them with his own photos, and has decided he is 98% certain it was once his truck. I think I'm more certain than he is!!

It was worked as a wrecker by a company (he thinks called Thurlow?) in Stowmarket, Suffolk. It had a reputation for breaking down whenever it went out on a job.

It was bought by a recovery operator at Needham Market around 1982 who removed the TFL gear from the back and put it on an AEC, and sold the chassis cab to my friend. He sold it on around 1993, and it moved on again not long later.

If it was Tommy, then he sold it to me! I struggled to get the missing parts, well finding them was no problem, buying them was another matter! In the end I bought a better one from Holland and sold it on.

Having said that, I don't remember that towing fitting on the front bumper. When I towed it home behind my 969, I had to fit a front hook which I had aquired from Alan Chapman as it had no fittings at the front.