You have a long drive down, how long will it take you & what does yours do to the gallon?

Regards Dick Smith

In 2008 it took 6 3/4 hrs at 30 -35 mph. last year i split the journey over 2 days at 25 -30 mph towing showmans living van. Total driving time about 8 1/2 hrs ,the living van providing a comfortable rest over night. Fuel consumption is pretty good at 10 mpg but thats due to having leyland 680 power plus engine and leyland 5 speed + overdrive box coupled to original 3 speed auxillary box.

That fuel consuption is pretty good then, concidering some of the modern artics cant get much. Look forward to meeting you in September.

Regards from

Dick

Have just found a picture of your T, natty place to put the straight bar. Do you still have the Diamond T sign on the radiator grill?.At GDSF I suppose you can buy most items, do they have stalls for T owners?.

Have just found a picture of your T, natty place to put the straight bar. Do you still have the Diamond T sign on the radiator grill?.At GDSF I suppose you can buy most items, do they have stalls for T owners?.

The dt sign is still there,not a genuine dt product i found it on a stall at a Malpass rally some years ago. The stalls at GDSF can turn up a few suprises, but no specific stalls for dt owners.

Edited by diamond 981

The dt sign is still there,not a genuine dt product i found it on a stall at a Malpass rally some years ago. The stalls at GDSF can turn up a few suprises, but no specific stalls for dt owners.

I went to Toddington Steam fair last year, on asking around no one had anything regarding DT, I did find a firm who will do a mug, providing I/we send a photo of the vehicle, I think there was a Scammell Military Wrecker Mug (same as Nikki Owens See his blog on the forum), I have found a firm who will print or embroider a Diamond T onto a sweat or T shirt, I was going to have one, but now I have had an email from them asking how many I want, so I suppose if we could get enough T owners we might get a better price, but seeing as how I only want one & dont know anyone else who would have one, I suppose the price would be highish, I was also thinking on a metal lapel badge of a T, once again I only want one, I have some of Land Rovers, if any one is reading this letter & they want to know about the items I have written about, I will give them the name and address of the firm, its in Coventry.

Regards Dick

Edited by dizzy-t

I had some polo shirts embroided with" diamond t "logo and " 980-981 owner driver " the bloke who did them made a brilliant job each shirt cost £10 including the embroidery a bargain i thought, but he ceased trading about a year ago.

I have contacted a firm called clothes2order regarding sweatshirts/T shirts, mugs, & badges regarding Diamond T's, if any one is interested in having one made, they can contact a Charlotte Doolan & she will sort you out, I would definatley be up for having a sweatshirt with a T on it, but the more you order the less the price will be, they can print or embroider (?) anything you like, I can supply a picture of a T for them to use, something to remember the 70th anniversary by. If any one would care to put in an order please let me know so that I can order one for myself.

Dizzy-t:drive::drive::drive::drive:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Long time since I posted but I now have a Diamond T 980. I will put some pictures on when i fathom that out. David Sheffield.

Try this http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150195262201676&comments&ref=notif&notif_t=video_comment

Sorrry I did not realise that you can't see this unless logged on to Face book or something. However there are a couple of vids on youtube and pictures on flicker

David

Edited by Peak1
Mistake

Hi

i'm affraid I can only help you with Hercules engine as I have not had any dealings with the Rolls Royce. The original oil filters were made by a company called Fram, who still exist so filters are not realy a problem as they can be cross matched ect. The fram part number is FR-5294. There is also an oil strainer inside the bottom of the sump pan that is accessed by undoing the ring of bolts around the sump plug. There is also a small fillter in the body of the viscometer sender on the side of the engine block, both the sump strainer and the viscometer filter are just removed and cleaned with petrol or equivelent. When you change the oil filters try not to break the seal on the bottom of the 3 cases as they can be hard to re-seal. as for oil, the manual lists SAE 30 for above 32 degrees F temp and SAE 10 below 32 degrees F. Just get the best that you can obtain from a good commercial parts supplier.

Hope this helps and Happy new year.. regards Steve..

I have just rang Fram and the told me this (FR-5294), is supplied from America only. Has anyone had better look? David

I have a link to face book with some picture you all may like try this

The blue T is from some picture I took in the 80's below is the one I have just bought. David.

Hi

is this the one that Pete had for sale and that was on milweb recently, the day i rang he said that someone was there viewing it. have you bought it "as is", in the pictures it looks like theres no glass fitted at present

look forward to more pictures

cheers

MaccDT

I have just rang Fram and the told me this (FR-5294), is supplied from America only. Has anyone had better look? David

Hi David

I am going to try somenew filters in my Hercules this weekend that i have just sourced,

if they fit correctly i will post the filter and reference number

cheers

MaccDT

Yes bought as is, window frames are all there need to get the glass cut and source some seals. I'm also looking for a couple of 6 volt batteries to start sorting the wires out. David.

hi maccdt, hope everything ok, am i right in saying the blue diamond is ex cazdow's heavy haulage fitted with leyland 680 and has been to dorset last couple of years, the lifting mechanism was designed by bil jackson formally of chaseside engineering famous for their cable operated loading shovels in the fifties, hope of interest, tony g.

hi maccdt, hope everything ok, am i right in saying the blue diamond is ex cazdow's heavy haulage fitted with leyland 680 and has been to dorset last couple of years, the lifting mechanism was designed by bil jackson formally of chaseside engineering famous for their cable operated loading shovels in the fifties, hope of interest, tony g.

Hi Tony i can confirm that the blue diamond is the ex cadzow t,it stayed in that same spot for years before i became involved with it,photo taken at Massy brothers yard Longcliffe Derbyshire.

Hi

following from from my earlier posts i have now been lucky enough to find a picture from 1979

(i believe) of this Diamond T when it was working as a Wrecker at Ben Coopers.

if anyone knows anymore please let me know. thanks to Antony for the first clue.

cheers

MaccDT

4346501507_79635b88d5_z.jpg

P4230017.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45902[/ATTACH]

I Have a question. Has anyone taken the start foot switch apart? I am going to try and don't want to do any damage. Thanks David

Hi David if you need a starter switch i have one that came of my T, as i have simplified the starting to a push button on the dash. Regards Alan.

Hi David if you need a starter switch i have one that came of my T, as i have simplified the starting to a push button on the dash. Regards Alan.

Thanks Alan, I had an old one and took it apart etc, fitted it after cleaning and here's the result.

That's Nigel the sparky.

The one we took off seems a lot newer than the one I have just fitted, must have oxydized. I'll clean that one next. Once you get your head around what it does it's not too bad. Charging circuit next.

Just been tracking the 1942 Diamond T on ebay, the auction has now finnished & did not get to its reserve price, best they could manage was £2.555.00P, so how would this vehicle be worth & I wonder if they are going to re list it, it would be shame to see it go for scrap. Hopefully the seller will accept a reasonable price for it.

Just been tracking the 1942 Diamond T on ebay, the auction has now finnished & did not get to its reserve price, best they could manage was £2.555.00P, so how would this vehicle be worth & I wonder if they are going to re list it, it would be shame to see it go for scrap. Hopefully the seller will accept a reasonable price for it.

Ebay is funny though, very much dependant on who is browsing for an item as to how much is bid.

As the seller appeared to have a good knowledge of its history I doubt it would go for scrap. If it is a runner then I would say two and a half grand is a bit low. It is pretty much all there and looks fairly straight so I would say more nearer £4,000. However if you base it on scrap price alone, and I may be wrong, but I don’t think the final bid made the scrap value? FYI I paid just over £4,000 for mine three years ago and I think in terms of overall condition it was similar to this one.

In contrast the condition is also similar to the Red Ball 981 with which the owner wanted a wholly unrealistic £7k.

Thanks Alan, I had an old one and took it apart etc, fitted it after cleaning and here's the result.

That's Nigel the sparky.

The one we took off seems a lot newer than the one I have just fitted, must have oxydized. I'll clean that one next. Once you get your head around what it does it's not too bad. Charging circuit next.

Nice videos. Hercules sounds soooo good.

All the best,

A