Scammell Pioneer Gallery

I did some realy extreme grdening on the IOW one year after the Haven st steam rally.

I will post the story and pictures of the award that i had to recieve infront of 300 people!! :police:

Edited by ace1
smelling pistake.

Well here goes.:sweat:

We were leaving Haven st on the IOW, living van on tow behind, (3.5 tonns & no breaks) & having made our way up "the chute" just outside the rally (very narrow, & 1 in 5 up hill) we got stuck behind a steam roller doing 3 mph. Normally i would not worry to much, but we had to go the full length of the island to catch the ferry to Limington, so i tryed to get passed.

The front offside wheel caught in a culvert or something, the next second the front of the lorry was pointing at the sky!!!

When it came down it was pointing at the hedge! so that is the way we went. (i didnt know that a pioneer wouid stop in half its own length from 25mph.)

After my mate had peeled himself from the winscreen, he jumped out to see if any cars had parked in the back of the living van, apparently not, so i backed on to the road, and set off after that pesky roller again, only for him to turn off before i could overtake,(such is life).

The next year i got this award which sat on the front all bank holiday monday.:cool2:

IOW Steam Rally 2007 039.jpg

IOW Steam Rally 2007 040.jpg

IOW Steam Rally 2007 041.jpg

IOW Steam Rally 2007 042.jpg

Here is MY list of excuses ect.

1. This was only the second time out, so i was still getting the "feel" of the lorry.:???

2. Trying to rush. (you cant rush anywhere in a pioneer).:nono:

3. The roads on the island are only wide enough for a bike.:???

4. Gremlins in the steering box.:evil:

5. Slippery road.:banana:

Thats it, a lesson learned,:embarrassed: fourtunatly no damage done, (except the hedge) and a few scraches down the paint.

Oh, and a new set of pants for my long suffering copilot.:n00b:

Alan.

Was on the trail of a Jeep today, didnt find it yet, but did find this:

2a9c7fbfca6a5ccfd9407ce1f402ff54.jpg

234ee78275a638bbd908e0b946d3cd8a.jpg

54e8d95aa0a446465e3b35c3e7a9f5f2.jpg

Definately not for sale but I got lots of pictures inside (it was pretty gloomy in the shed) if anyone needs some close ups of inside the cab let me know I can email pics. It has all its original fittings inside, fire extinguisher, medical box, gun racks etc etc.

This ex tank transporter is interesting i think it was one of the small batch converted by the army for draw bar haulage with concrete blocks mounted where the fifth wheel would have been and from demob had found a new life as a civvy recovery. I cant make out the name on the headboard but the building is owned John Wise agriculture engineers

Good news Les! I was staying with friends near Thirsk over the weekend so I asked about Metcalfe's. They took me to their yard and lurking in the corner was this Scammell. I spoke to Mr Metcalfe and he gave me some of the history of the company back to his Grandfather. The black and white photo is taken from one in their office. It shows the Pioneer in all it's glory when in regular use. The colour shots show it now. I only had my phone to take photos and space was limited, so sorry they're not great quality.

I must stress that it is definitely not for sale and is awaiting restoration. :yay:

Mr Metcalfe is clearly attched to it and told me they bought it in 1962 and it did have concrete on the back for ballast. They built their own crane on the back as can be seen in the photos. It is still a runner, although the starter motor is a little dodgy.

It was sold in the early 80's to Wise's of Carlton Miniott. It then went to Mansell Lane garage at Knaresborough and later to Wells of Otley.

Mr Metcalfe looked for it for a long time and had a chance conversation with someone who saw the photo in the office and said " I know where that is". It was on a farm owned by Norman Harrison at Askwith near Otley and Mr Metcalfe had to track it down and negotiate for more than four years to buy it back.

A lot of it's history is unknown and Mr Metcalfe would love to find out more about it. I have photographed the chassis plate, but it reads:

Veh. No. 71 YY 54

Chassis No. 4527

Overhaul 1254 B394 V3/145(or 6?)

Please can anyone help fill in it's history and let me know? I told Mr Metcalfe about HMVF, so hopefully he'll be able to find out more here. Cheers. Daz

024.jpg

029.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

Edited by daz76
text

I was surprised to find it to be honest. Les- I don't know if the plan is to restore it as in the photo. The good news is that despite flaky paint , the structure of the cab etc is actually very sound. The driver's door which is missing in the photo is actually there, so I think it's a fairly straightforward job...:sweat:

• 2 weeks later...
Plantters, We have two original weights with our Pioneer, you are more than welcome to measure (but we are in Somerset) alternatively I could post the measurements for you?!

That would be brilliant as Somerset is a little of my beaten track mate!!

Thanks

Nigel