Scammell Pioneer Gallery

I found this picture on another thread, the tracks on this pioneer look a lot different form the ones in the manual, (also attached), where there different types :confused:

where there also tracks for the explore, if so where they the same as Pioneer:confused:

and is it possible to finde a set of tracks, as it could be a nice pice of equipment to have..... :cool2:

DSCF3352.jpg

CIMG2718.jpg

CIMG2721.jpg

I found this picture on another thread, the tracks on this pioneer look a lot different form the ones in the manual, (also attached), where there different types :confused:

where there also tracks for the explore, if so where they the same as Pioneer:confused:

and is it possible to finde a set of tracks, as it could be a nice pice of equipment to have..... :cool2:

I have a set of overall tracks which came from an explorer ,they are similar to the ones shown in your picture apart from the cross bars which are flat bars with a double twist on them , they came from a timber /earthmoving contractor who operated near Kettering northants.I think the explorer he operated still exists it was sold to Badger Bros recovery at Lubenham nr market harborough reg no YNV 185 J .

The pioneer in niels v last picture shows a late build sv/2s with wheel lifting hubs and shows the spare wheel carrier under the jib

A set went on ebay a few weeks back for about £450 I seem to recall. Not much use now I know, but they are about.

There are two types of track, flat plate like the photo which fitted the pioneer and

early explorer with the gated track carrier and, spiral type which fitted all other explorers and militants, these don't normally fit early explorer track carriers.

There are also two types of track tensioning tools (as i found out while trying to

fit a set,they are not interchangeable!!!)

There are two types of track, flat plate like the photo which fitted the pioneer and

early explorer with the gated track carrier and, spiral type which fitted all other explorers and militants, these don't normally fit early explorer track carriers.

There are also two types of track tensioning tools (as i found out while trying to

fit a set,they are not interchangeable!!!)

cheers thanks for the info

The late model Pioneer in that photo is interesting. The overall tracks look a bit more permanent than the bits of plate and chain versions.

Would that view be supported by the lack of rear mudguards to give more clearance and the fact the track storage rack is missing?

• 2 weeks later...

Old snap shot of Pioneer transporter NO1 or the only one, note the added crew protection canvas behind the cab. On the back is hand written one of our small transporters, small its the only one we had at the time and the largest, look at those headlamps designed to blind you and the stability of that 20 ton trailers leaves a lot to be desired

hmvf3.jpg

fantastic pics, its a very lovely scammell, was it also fitted with the 6lw gardner?

I think the early pioneers were fitted with Scammells own four cylinder petrol engine and the Scammell four speed gearbox ?. The Scammell 100 ton artic tractors as used by Edward Box /M.R.S /Pickfords also used these units and were built 1929 /1930s around the same time as the pioneers.

That's a new angle on house moving. Why bother with all that packing.......

move the whole lot.

I would imagine HSE would have kittens if they saw anyone moving a house in the way they used to, especially sitting on top with no safety harness lifting wires over the top. Probably as a safety measure, power lines were lifted with the aid of a broom, rather than bare hands. :-D

In those days; falling off was probably a punishable offence and the employers would probably have said "Serves you right for not doing what you are paid to do" I wonder if they ever left anyone swinging on a wire and had to reverse up to collect them. :-D

Just noticed in the picture...... it's still got a Gardner engine in it. If it's working well and does the job, why change it.

Edited by Swill1952xs

As you can see from the tax disc this Pioneer hasn't moved since 1995. Over the years a number of people have tried to buy it but the owner is reluctant to part with it. Yesterday, a good friend of mine was firmly told it is "not for sale". I've been asked not to reveal where it is located. Here's a few pix.

DSCF1033.jpg

DSCF104522-24-17.jpg

DSCF1034.jpg

DSCF1036.jpg

DSCF1038.jpg

DSCF1040.jpg

DSCF1028.jpg

DSCF1044.jpg

As you can see from the tax disc this Pioneer hasn't moved since 1995. Over the years a number of people have tried to buy it but the owner is reluctant to part with it. Yesterday, a good friend of mine was firmly told it is "not for sale". I've been asked not to reveal where it is located. Here's a few pix.

DSCF1033.jpg

DSCF104522-24-17.jpg

DSCF1034.jpg

DSCF1036.jpg

DSCF1038.jpg

DSCF1040.jpg

DSCF1028.jpg

DSCF1044.jpg

What a shame it is to see it just sitting there. It makes you wonder why owners hold onto the vehicles when there are people out there who want to do something with them.

Often wondered. From personal experience they usually fit into one of these categories:

1. Going to do something with it one day. This may be genuine and most of us have a pending file.

2. Think it is worth a fortune. Given the number of people who have made enquiries the thing must be worth a lot of money. I've never looked at what a good one sells for or how many there are but I'm pretty sure that it'smy pension.

3. The p*ssed off brigade. This one is surprisingly common. Mostly they are sick to the back teeth of people coming and asking to sell it they've just decided to let it rot into the weeds. There is a sub-classification in this group of those who are sick to the back teeth of people offering to buy it then delivering a long list of reasons why it is worthless and not particularly special. Unfortunately the prospective seller does know something about the vehicle and does know what they sell for and they get to the point that they decide to just let it rot into the weeds.