Brits in Normandy 1944 gallery

Rick W

I can comment on some of these pix. The Sherman line up with the shell cases is a picture taken by Bill Warhurst of The Times. He came ashore on the 9th of June and stayed with the army until the end at Bremen and on the Elbe. I was holding the negatives of this pic series a short time ago. Warhusrt took hundreds and only a very few are missing. The picture was then issued via The British Newspaper Pool or perhaps it will have the stamp of the Graphic Photo Union, which was The Times company's photo distribution arm. Warhurst replaced Eric Greenwood who had been aboard HMS Scylla with the command centre of Admiral Vian off Sword beach. No British press photographers hit the beach on 06.06.1944 unlike with the Americans.

If you ever get a chance look for the work of H Dewhurst of the Yorkshire Post. He was a class act. Bill Warhurst drove round in a jeep, wore a DRs helmet and had a very natty cigarette holder. He was a pioneer. He was often accompanied by Harold Tetlow of the Daily Sketch - a very skilled snapper. God bless them all.

The shot of the Churchill is a British Official picture which will have been taken by someone from AFPU. These shots were issued out to all the allied media, hence why another appears with a caption via the long lost ACME news agency. You will not the Churchill pic caption had a library filing index on it and I would not be surprised if these came from a major regional newspaper in Britain or even from the library of one of the nationals. It doesn't look like a News of The World library picture. We only have very few of these thanks to a long derided destruction policy in the fifties/sixties. It could be from one of the lost papers - the News Chronicle or Reynolds News. My library covers the Daily Sketch, Times(s), Sun and News of the Screws.

MB

That is a great fact Snap - any reason why we didn't??

Old fashion War Office/Admiralty conservatism.They didn't want a load of hacks ambling around on the beach. This must have all been governed by experience from Dieppe to Anzio. The press were on ships and then came ashore on the 9th (to my knowledge).

The Americans were a little more liberal, hence the likes of Cappa and others getting wet and their films cooked.

I was in correspondence with a really knowledgeable AFPU enthusiast a few years back who was adament that Anglo-Canadian press snappers did not get close to the action at all. Although this was often the case early on, by the time the war had progressed to the Netherlands they were going much nearer and seeing things quite fresh after combat. Freshly dead enemy etc.

I am sorry to say I am forbidden from posting images from our database due to the evils of Intellectual Property protection. I'd like to get it all collated into a book and would love to retrace Bill Warhurst's route doing a Then and Now type format. Maybe in time for 2014. But I need to be more than just an oik to my masters, or even still employed, by that time.

MB

Im not convinced this is France, or even mainland Europe, but it is British! Can someone tell me what the UEO means and why the end of the bumper are painted white?

The Jeep doesn't have blackout masks on the headlamps. Could this mean that it is post war ?

I can spot some of the differences on O/Rs uniforms but not on Officer's SD

The timber frame over brick building looks more English than NW Europe. The pantiles are probably Eastern England I would guess.

Rich

The Jeep doesn't have blackout masks on the headlamps. Could this mean that it is post war ?

I can spot some of the differences on O/Rs uniforms but not on Officer's SD

The timber frame over brick building looks more English than NW Europe. The pantiles are probably Eastern England I would guess.

Rich

I have never asked myself the question "When did the blackout end?" before and I could easily google it if I could be bothered, but ISTR that the Home Guard was disbanded at the end of 1944, which suggests to me that maybe the blackout likewise.

The fact that the jeep has blackout lines and non-blackout lights suggests to me that this pic might be an early 1945 pic. No reasons, just gut feeling. I do remember my mother saying that getting about in the blackout was incredibly dangerous because drivers could not really see well enough. I'd guess that come the end of the blackout there was more urgency to fit proper headlights than to paint out the white edge markings.

But that's all IMO.

As for UEO, my guess (entirely out of thin air) is that maybe it stands for Un-Exploded Ordnance - subsequently referred to and abbreviated in numerous different ways. I'd bet that bomb disposal people did not really fancy the prospect of driving onto the bomb they have come to deal with and made damn sure they had good lights.

But I know nothing.

:confused:Also on the jeep, the sidelights arent mounted on the wings, which I understand was British practice and what is the insignia on the right hand side? How doeas it relate to the 57? There doesnt seem to be a reg or bonnet number???:confused:

:confused:Also on the jeep, the sidelights arent mounted on the wings, which I understand was British practice and what is the insignia on the right hand side? How doeas it relate to the 57? There doesnt seem to be a reg or bonnet number???:confused:

The side lights were not always moved to the wings on British Jeeps. I wonder if this could be a 'Gifted' Jeep lost from the Americans. The truck next to the Jeep looks like a Bedford, and it has lifting flanges on the rear wheels, which was a late war modification of 1944 or so. Also, UEO could mean Unit Education Officer.