Brits in Normandy 1944 gallery

Rick W

Might have been Wynford Vaughan-Thomas of the BBC

MB

Long time since I've watched it but I'm pretty sure he was press rather than BBC, Mail or Express,...... Alan Moorehead?

Yes Rik, looks like a Ford WOT2, could the truck at right be a GMC353, nothing specific to base this on , just the general outline.

I wondered about GMC,.......but the two wheel drive version that was suppose to have been supplied to the French, ......but the Brits got them instead.

The Ex- French contract vehicles were supplied as both 4x2 and 4x4, ACX504 and ACK353 respectively and the 6x6 ACKWX353 forerunner to the CCKW353. Perhaps one of these might fit with the photo?

The vehicle in front? Isnt it an AEC? Shame there isnt a decent pic of the plate or any unit markings. Any idea what the cable/rope is thats runing up the windscreen to the roof?

Don't think its AEC, (well matador, anyways,) due to windscreen type. (Mat had divided vertical and horizontal type). pic seems to show vehicle with vertical division, a-la bedford QL and Austin k5; - don't think its a Bedford due to thickness of division looking much too much, hence my thoughts re K5.

I'm guessing the 'rope', leading up from front is a tow rope,......just in case. :)

These are British Official pix, meaning they were taken by military photographers in the field. Looking at the reverse sides - We have similar images in one of our collections at sunny Murdoch Towers and I am almost certain, thanks to the chinagraph underlining shown, some of these prints form part of the collection which was junked the News of the World when Murdoch acquired it. Great swathes of newspaper library pictures have been sold off and abandoned down the years, so there are no comebacks. The Daily Mirror and Daily Express in London and Manchester have all done terrible deeds to pix archives - even quite recently. Terrible.

However, we continue to seek material belonging to the Times and News of the World which were lost (if I told you why I'd have to shoot several retired gentlemen) in 1986 during the unseemly rush from Fleet Street to Waplitz. The whole Times "uncensored" war pix archive was inadvertently left on the roof of the Times building in Grays Inn Rd (where it resided in an outhouse) when the Times moved out. The "famous" News of The World Crypt (which housed pix and documents going back centuries) was left in Bouverie Street and lost. By telling you this I don't expect anyone to tell me! I've got enough to look at (today it is The Sun bus in Moscow with page 3 girls........)

MB

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

One to go up d' old post. Very beautiful photograph of the area of my city. Living in a sector or there was of the English, Norwegian combatant and Canadian the sector of St contest in the north of CAEN, c' is very pleasant to see photographs memories of these combatants.

• 3 weeks later...