Scammell Explorer fixes and workarounds

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just explain to us lot what the heck the BIGPURPLEONE is please......

Its a fookin huge purple land rover 90 ive built with a 5.9l 6BT Cummins in it :-D

Sounds like some sort of sex toy. :shocked::shocked:

well it puts a smile on my face ;)

definately Bernard, theres some guys designing compression release for a 6BT so hope they make it available soon!

www.youtube.com/user/nrs91 is my channel (when Scammel works i will get GoPro footage!)

My ride in Nikki Owens L10 Scammell

for those interested in Cummins Powered Land Rover Sillyness

well done on your purchase if youd like to take a seat in the corner the doctor will see you soon but as you may have guessed you may have caught scammellitus its very very contagous and im afraid incurable my steering is fine in a straight line but um interesting on mini roundabouts when driven with vigor brake adjustment is standard for drums hand brake off jack up once choked adjust till binding then back off a little rear axle is the long rods on top of the walking beams nuts may well be seized and fronts asquare adjuster on the bottom of the drum oh and do the rears as a pair ie have both the same side of the ground together and ive made a box spanner with a half inch drive socket welded to it for ease

andy

well done on your purchase if youd like to take a seat in the corner the doctor will see you soon but as you may have guessed you may have caught scammellitus its very very contagous and im afraid incurable my steering is fine in a straight line but um interesting on mini roundabouts when driven with vigor brake adjustment is standard for drums hand brake off jack up once choked adjust till binding then back off a little rear axle is the long rods on top of the walking beams nuts may well be seized and fronts asquare adjuster on the bottom of the drum oh and do the rears as a pair ie have both the same side of the ground together and ive made a box spanner with a half inch drive socket welded to it for ease

andy

spot on andy tar! steering seemed better today for some reason haha done about half a mile in it tonight... 1/4mile up the drive, then it cut out... so had to coax it back to life then when i got it revving i kept it running and backed down the drive to where its parked... an interesting experience on a twisty farm drive and no banksman (hed gone to get the tractor).

This meadows is definately a tempramental old girl

Before your Scammellitis reaches the tertiary stage (:shake:), do tell us what Purple's ZF box was taken from! Was it a remote change box which you adapted to on-top stick shift?

DAF45 ZF S5-42 with a LandRover LT77 shifter grafted onto the top!

DAF45 ZF S5-42 with a LandRover LT77 shifter grafted onto the top!

Cheers. I'd be very interested to know what sort of job that was - thinking of something military and bigger / older (so Bernard may allow the off topic stroll......:bow:).

Cheers. I'd be very interested to know what sort of job that was - thinking of something military and bigger / older (so Bernard may allow the off topic stroll......:bow:).

heres the full up to date album of the conversion to cure your off-topic curiosities ;)

In some assistance to Nicks question on Explorer steering, just make sure the box has oil in it as well, from past experience if she has sat this can weep and dry out, it makes all the world of difference.

Brilliant thanks John!

i took it 1/4mile up my drive last night (with the intention of goin 2 miles up the road and back) and it cut out... so whilst my cousin went to get the tractor i managed to coax the life into her (ive decided the engine is definately female even if the truck is male) so i reversed the 1/4 without a banksman to get it back to where i started from and the steering seems to be getting better... might just want some use to be honest, but will check the oil now youve mentioned it.

thanks bud will look over them soon.

Question for the Meadows fans:

Im going to have a gamble and experiment on bringing the Meadows into the 21st century with ECU controlled electronic ignition (water proof ;) ) *oooo* *ahhhh*

this involves writing my own ignition Map (or modifying Triumph 2l 6cyl Map to suit)

For this i will need the ignition advance required over a certain rpm increase also the advance over vacuum.

anybody got any thoughts or ideas on this?

Brilliant Bernard!

with that info i should be able to Map it up nicely!

20degress Timing advance and the firing order of: 1, 5, 3, 6, 4, 2. that youve just given me should help me set it up sweetly!

also the soft and hard rev limiters will be handy!

• 2 years later...

Swivel housing bearing numbers?

Following a run out on Wednesday I discovered my front Axle swivel housing roller bearings to be FBAR. After quick discussion with local bearing company who told me the bearings are no longer available can someone tell me what the correct numbers should be or where would be a good place to get replacements from. Before I waste money and time trying to get some that are not correct

[ATTACH=CONFIG]106515[/ATTACH]

Current ones displaying the following numbers can anyone confirm what the replacements should be as although I have found same no.s with Timken bearings they do not stipulate Heavy series as these do?

SKF

HH

AK55200/4

HH24

image.jpg

Well I found a work around for the Meadows petrol... its the same as Bernards!

Rip it out and fit a cummins!

but Private Benjamin has been to a few shows this year, so thats progress.

Next stop, propshaft conversion and fix the leaky fuel tank!

As long as the numbers on the bearings and sizes are the same they should be ok. I've got 2 of the Inners on the shelf and might have the outer cups but would need to know the numbers

Chris

Cheers for that. Managed to source the exact same same bearings from Wych bearings in Bromsgrove, really helpful guys!

Now everything is apart have also found the half shaft bearing is knackered as well so another call required to them should be here today!

Millmarsh - in case you were not yet aware (it wasn't clear from his post), Chrisg is a bearing supplier - I can highly recommend him :thumbsup:

Ah, I did wonder in which case I now have his contact details so will bear him in mind if we get any other problems. Thanks for the info. Wych Bearings were really helpful too, and we managed to get the original SKF ones that are no longer made!

• 2 months later...
I was given this plan for back timberwork some time ago. It is too big to scan but here are some photos. I might be able to get full size copies done if anyone wants one.

Hi Croc

We have been looking for manuals on the Scammell explorer especially anything that would helps us replacing the old rotten wood panels, flooring and storage boxes, as most of the woodwork is missing or has rotted away. I would love a copy of your plan, be happy pay of copies and post.

Kind regardsScammell Explorer .jpg

Tourjudge