Scammell Explorer fixes and workarounds

FELT AXLE RINGS / SEALS

i was underneath lighining at the weekend and noticed 1 of the 3 felt rings as the manual calls them on theaxle/ walking beam is almost fallen off the jubilee clip has rusted out and left the felt hanging down in a big loop the oil levels are ok and no leaks from that area so how important is this felt ,is it just a dust seal ? im assumeing it should be a complet circle so is there a quick fix or am i takeing the beams of this weekend ? thanks in advance andy

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Just thought I needed to check how my oil seal workaround is working..o/s is just as it was left, all OK..

However some oil has run along from the n/s swivel housing, but has been trapped in the drive coupling thingy, and has not got into the bearing.

DSCF5609.JPG

I put this down to being stuck off road the axle at full tilt (the Beltring effect) for too long, all cleaned up

with a rag wrapped steel rule in the gap around the shaft.

DSCF5608.JPG

Should be OK now as long as I can keep on the flat! A big ask I know...

never looked at my front axle, Its the only thing that doesn't leak or make a funny noise. I know someone who used rubber winscreen tube as a seal with some success. I need to repaint my cab an think i will go for cheap oil based paint exterior gloss rather than the expensive pain i used last time. Any thoughts?

tbh, after I posted, I started wondering the same thing - you want a top coat and what i've been using (Sigmafast20) is an undercoat/primer really, although does dry with something of a dull shine

realise it's the wrong colour for most but resistant to the elements without a topcoat applied (and holds rust back a treat)

wonder if they do it (or something with more the finish you're after) in green - they have quite a range so maybe worth an enquiry? http://www.sigmacoatings.com/

Hang on just a Mo. We'll have no talk of Green paint on my Scammell....not my scene the whole ex military thing....You'll find me in the classic commercial section or the heavy haulage talking lorries...with men...and beer...and burgers...and more beer...and lorries :D

Hang on just a Mo. We'll have no talk of Green paint on my Scammell....not my scene the whole ex military thing....You'll find me in the classic commercial section or the heavy haulage talking lorries...with men...and beer...and burgers...and more beer...and lorries :D

Good standards, like that. Man knows where he is with a beer and a burger, and anyway there are other colours available these days

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
change wording

• 4 months later...

I had the usual fun, and enjoyed the War and Peace show. The mud's great as it proves you can drift a Scammell. The Twickenham Off-Roaders did a good job this year on the heavy truck trials, with nothing bent!......... Except that when I got home I found my radiator is now leaking. Doh!

It appears to be from a cooling pipe 6 or 7 in from the drivers side, in the second row back, at the bottom of course. My main question, is how are the pipes fitted/sealed? I think they are copper, while the bottom plate is aluminium, an odd combination?

I'm thinking of using chemical metal for now, as I'm not keen to strip it down at the moment, but I'm open to any better suggestions!

Jules

• 7 months later...
hello all amongst the 2 trailer loads of explorer bits ive recently bought was what i took to be some junk to be weighed in but im now told is a seat come stand for use to veiw from the cuppola can anyone post a pic or drawing of one in place and or in use thanks andy

Here's what it should look like Andy ! As you can see I removed them just to photograph them for you ! :blush::blush::blush::-D

P1010592 (2).JPG

P1010594 (2).jpg

P1010595 (2).jpg

P1010596 (2).jpg

thanks andy , thats exactlly what i have minus the padded bit but i can always make that up if i have it right the angle irons bolt to the rear of the cab and you remove - invert the rest for stand or seat ? as you have taken it out of daisy can you just nip out a mo and take a pic of it in situ please ;);):-D:-D

Looking for some Explorer steering ball joint rubber boots, any pointers as to where I could get some would be much appreciated..

I think the Scammell Register might have some ball joint rubbers.....I think Dave walker had some made but not sure if they will fit an Explorer..

• 1 month later...

Ill spark this back up with a little bit of an intro and a newbie cry for help ;)

Im already known to a few on here but im Nick (or Calamity Steggel to Crowther and co)

Im the new owner of the Scammell Explorer "Private Benjamin" (250 XUB).

Couple of quick Qs (after already mithering Bernard to death via FB):

Any pointers on how to adjust the Scammell brakes up? they seem to have much more travel in the pedal than lucky Owens.

The Air assist steering seems notchy, like a land rover PAS low on fluid, is this how they are or is it a sticky valve etc?

after Ive had a good go at setting the carbs up and had a drive of the beast (of more than 200yrds) ill no doubt come back with more Qs. This thread has been a good read in my spare time over the past few days. Plenty to think on. :-D