Scammell Explorer fixes and workarounds

i dident cut the centre panel in mine just the floor cross member i had to move back to get the eaton housing in for the double platted clutch. and a little hole in the floor to turn the clutch pedal arm upside down so it would lift on the clutch housing. and i can get the clutch out without taking the engine out.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Not a fix or a work around but a bit of a question really..... just drained the rear diff oil out of the explorer and found it rather brown and muddy but hardly a trace of any bronze just the odd fleck in the drain pan here and there. However when i poke my finger up the drain hole there is a slight burr on one edge of the crown wheel, there is no slack in the drive at all. but just wonderd if this is normal ware after 27671 miles. Any hoo have just refilled with API 140 mineral oil and i aint changing the bloomin diff at this stage in the game.

I would say that's perfectly normal Robert, due to the smearing action of a worm drive.

Don't really want to say 'I stuck my finger up Forceful's drainhole' but when I did I felt a rough patch in the centre of each crown wheel tooth, about where the contact patch would be, I put this down to something like water in the oil, but so far back in the mists of time that a few years of Cummins power should smooth it all out...:drive:

I was hoping you would say that :) I just thought i would ask as the oil pump was in bits and god only knows how many miles it did without the pump running. However the new set up delivers oil all the time the engine is running even when staitionary. Just need to sort out an oil cooler but for now will have to rely on the 30 foot of pipe running to and from the engine to help cooling. A bowman cooler should do the trick:)

• 1 month later...

Robin Craig posted this link in another thread, it explains very nicely the problem with removing the rubber couplings that go between the engine and gearbox, and why they where put there by Scammell designers.

http://www.satrep.co.uk/scorpiontankcouk/Gearbox.htm

Particularly this bit....In practice many of these potential harmonic vibrations are eliminated by the proximity of other components having different frequencies

Rubber has a very different frequency than metal, that's why it works in engine mountings, greatly reducing the vibrations transmitted to the chassis.

Unfortunately many power transmission drive trains do not benefit from this inherent advantage - components are often manufactured from similar materials,

Now look at the lovely picture..:-)

Edited by gritineye
forgot link

You know the air ram on the steering system on the explorer......you know the one under the cab with the cracked shredded remains of a rubber gaiter dangling along the chrome rod, Well a trip to the charity shop turned up a pair of black leather trousers. The leg of which makes a perfect gaiter for said steering ram and keeps all the crap of the shiny chrome:-D

QUOTE=rbrtcrowther;262448]You know the air ram on the steering system on the explorer......you know the one under the cab with the cracked shredded remains of a rubber gaiter dangling along the chrome rod, Well a trip to the charity shop turned up a pair of black leather trousers. The leg of which makes a perfect gaiter for said steering ram and keeps all the crap of the shiny chrome:-D

:bow: ............I can only find brown! :-D

Hi gritineye... Would you perchance be the same Bernard who kept a Scammell Explorer at a yard in Ticehurst back in the mid-nineties?

If so, I'd just like to say hi - I worked there for a few months in 1996 until I got fed up with rubber paychecks and moved on to something more reliable!

All the best, Glen.

Edited by GlenAnderson

Hi gritineye... Would you perchance be the same Bernard who kept a Scammell Explorer at a yard in Ticehurst back in the mid-nineties?

If so, I'd just like to say hi - I worked there for a few months in 1996 until I got fed up with rubber paychecks and moved on to something more reliable!

All the best, Glen.

PM sent

• 5 months later...

just thought i would pop this Rear axle modification on here. Basically a 1/2 bsp pipe fashioned into a scoop fitted into the worm housing part of the axle case with a pipe to take the oil under gravity to the rear bearing to provide extra lube.

Only do this if you have run out of oil pump options and its all smashed to bits. I will let you know how it fairs after many miles.... Never know it might keep another knackerd old scammell on the road...

rear axle oil pump broken.jpg

2011-11-01 21.00.35.jpg

2011-11-01 21.01.50.jpg

2011-11-01 21.02.33.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi, i'm new here so apologies if if I'm asking this in the wrong place, I'm just interested as an outsider in the workings of the Explorer, so wondered if anyone could answer a few (basic) technical questions?

Looking at this thread and various others, I assume the rear diff is worm gear driven and the front is not? I'd read somewhere that there was no center differential, how does the transmission deal with the speed differences between the axles?

I'd also read that 6x4/6x6 was selectable, is that true?

Thanks to anyone who takes time to answer these questions, I'm just curious about these wonderful looking machines.

To expand on what croc said, there is no need to deal with the speed differences between the axles, as the front drive should not be engaged on hard surfaces and slippage on soft going takes out any windup in the prop shafts.

Having said that the drive train is plenty strong enough to put up with any abuse thrown at it for short periods.

The Explorer isn't the only vehicle to use this axle layout - Moxy dumptrucks used an identical drive for a while (although Scammell must surely take the design credit). They'll go crazy places too, just like the Explorer :-D

In fact the dumptruck drive layout was first used by KOKUMS, a Scandinavian company. They were bought out by Volvo to get them out of the market (yes, they were good!). At some stage Kokums or at least the dumper designs were taken over by Moxy, who adopted the walking beam rear bogie. In 1991 Moxy were taken over by Komatsu - the Explorer style bogie continued in favour for some time, but I believe all now use a conventional 3 axle layout. And so the Explorer 'dumper derivative' seems to have finally passed into history!

All we need is evidence that the guy who ran Kokums had an ex Army Exlporer in his shed, and the evolutionary chain is proved!!!

MOXY MT27.jpg

Edited by N.O.S.

The Explorer isn't the only vehicle to use this axle layout - Moxy dumptrucks used an identical drive for a while (although Scammell must surely take the design credit). They'll go crazy places too, just like the Explorer :-D

In fact the dumptruck drive layout was first used by KOKUMS, a Scandinavian company. They were bought out by Volvo to get them out of the market (yes, they were good!). At some stage Kokums or at least the dumper designs were taken over by Moxy, who adopted the walking beam rear bogie. In 1991 Moxy were taken over by Komatsu - the Explorer style bogie continued in favour for some time, but I believe all now use a conventional 3 axle layout. And so the Explorer 'dumper derivative' seems to have finally passed into history!

All we need is evidence that the guy who ran Kokums had an ex Army Exlporer in his shed, and the evolutionary chain is proved!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54560[/ATTACH]

That picture brigs back some memories Tony; never thought about the Scammel connection when I was using them though. You're sure right about them going crazy places, almost unstoppable.:D

I have always thought the Pioneer tank transporter looks very 'Hot rod' at the front, and would be much improved at the back with a Moxy/Volvo rear end and big tyres, propper Detroit V8 diesel with zoomies to finish it off!

Hmm... I know someone with all the makings for a project like that lying around, I wonder....

Edited by gritineye

Sorry to jump in unannounced, but I'm also curious about the Explorer's axle technology. If its a worm drive, surely taking your foot of the accelerator just locks the axle, it being impossible to turn a worm with a gear. Is there a one way clutch in the transmission? I'm thinking there must be.