Scammell Explorer fixes and workarounds

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Right then question time, parking up last night having got back from a show the Air Hand brake has the efficiency of a small dog leaning against the rear tires any clues? also the transmission brake appears to have been removed has anyone got some detailed drawing of this?

Pete

Right then question time, parking up last night having got back from a show the Air Hand brake has the efficiency of a small dog leaning against the rear tires any clues? also the transmission brake appears to have been removed has anyone got some detailed drawing of this?

Pete

Pete, what do you mean by 'air hand brake'? The early contract Explorer should have a Hill Holder (the large lever mounted on the steering column which has a mechanical connection to the foot brake), a transmission drum brake and an air valve to work the trailer brakes. From memory only the later contracts had a Neate cable handbrake in place of the transmission brake, while RAF models had vacuum trailer brakes.

The early Explorers like mine had a transmission brake fitted on the rear of the tranfer box. Some early ones had them removed in service cos drivers could do huge amounts of damage applying the on them move. Later explorers had no transmission brake but were fitted with a hill holder brake leaver fitted to the steering coloum. This worked (i think ) through an air valve an applyed all the brakes to assist with hill starts. and should not be used as a parking brake as it will release as the air leaks out of the system. (Us real men who drive older Explorers manage without a namby pamby hillholder;)) There is a trailer brake leaver in the center of the bulkhead under the windscreen which applys only the trailer brakes. On the early Explorers there is a valve just above the throttle pedel which if opened alows the tractor to push a trailer and work the air brakes through the front couplings, This tap should be closed for normal usage and to alow a lead tractor on a double headed train to work all the brakes ect through your front couplings. How ever if this tap is left open the trailer brake leaver will operate all the brakes on the Explorer just like a hill holder but it can make the foot brakes feel a bit funny. Hope this helps. Also the early ones had a Knock off leaver on the neat handbrake where as the later ones had a push button:nut:

• 4 weeks later...

Usually available from many show traders and most dealers, expect to pay from £15 used to £75 NOS for the later halogen ones which are are a big improvement.

Even new ones rust inside the mounting part very quickly, no paint there, I have made covers for mine to keep the rain out when not in use.

Edited by gritineye

• 1 month later...

i can see ther are many advantages in haveing a extra seat in that location bernard or is it purely to keep an eye on andy this year when crossing a dtich :shocked: and do u plan to have a handbrake operator in this position during the drag race to aide in the achivment of sideways motion ???

this years suply of cake has just been deliverd ready for war and peac :cool2:

nick

i can see ther are many advantages in haveing a extra seat in that location bernard or is it purely to keep an eye on andy this year when crossing a dtich :shocked: and do u plan to have a handbrake operator in this position during the drag race to aide in the achivment of sideways motion ???

nick

:rofl::rofl: All of the above Nick, working on persuading my daughter to bake us one of her chocolate, bannana and rum cakes, but she's a busy girl so can't push it too much!

So whats all that hydraulicy stuff and extra nobs for under the new seat?

Handraulic actualy Robert, it was to lift the huge pointy snowplough that was fitted for clearing runways when Forceful was in service with the Royal Aircrat Establisment.....damn it...sorry, I shouldn't have told you that secret stuff, just watch out for men in trench coats with turned up collars hanging around your gaff!

Hmmmmm.....you could make a huge rear ground anchor and use the handraulics to push it down into the ground. was thinking of making such a thing for mine one day. weld the anchor mounting pivots near the winch where the front scotch chain hooks are fitted couple of RSJ's with a kink over the rear axle and a small bulldoser blade type thing on the back:cool2: Weight would be enough to dig it in and use the jib to lift it up:-) About all the bloomin jibs good for, put any serious weight on it and the fron end's in the air:nut:

• 2 weeks later...

Forceful's gearbox started to make the usual Scammell vibrating in 5th and 6th gear on the way back from Belring, as everything in it is all new inside (2000 od miles ago) except for the output shaft and flange, it had to be that.

Just took the prop off and sure nuff a little play has developed, 1/4" at flange rim, enough for the propshaft vibrations to rattle it.

I have used chemical bearing fit products many times but never one designed to take up play in splines, has anyone found and used a product and if so was it any good, or did it just make it difficult to remove the flange when it failed to work as advertised?

Loctite say this on their website:

A. Yes. You can simply apply Loctite® Retaining Compounds to both the inner and outer side of the spline and assemble it. It will prevent backlash, which is a major cause of assembly failure.

PS dn't blame the exhaust brake...:nono:

Forceful's gearbox started to make the usual Scammell vibrating in 5th and 6th gear on the way back from Belring, as everything in it is all new inside (2000 od miles ago) except for the output shaft and flange, it had to be that.

Just took the prop off and sure nuff a little play has developed, 1/4" at flange rim, enough for the propshaft vibrations to rattle it.

I have used chemical bearing fit products many times but never one designed to take up play in splines, has anyone found and used a product and if so was it any good, or did it just make it difficult to remove the flange when it failed to work as advertised?

Loctite say this on their website:

A. Yes. You can simply apply Loctite® Retaining Compounds to both the inner and outer side of the spline and assemble it. It will prevent backlash, which is a major cause of assembly failure.

PS dn't blame the exhaust brake...:nono:

I have tried "Quick metal" to ake up play in worn parts. I find that works and it is possible to dis-assemble.

HI AFTER GOING TO A SHOW AT THE WEEKEND WITH THE SCAMMELL AND A SERIES LANDY DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY PICTURES OF AN A FRAME FOR SUSPENDED TOW OF A VEHICLE LIKE THIS AS WHEN I GOT TO THE SHOW THE LANDY DECIDED TO CROAK ON ME I ENDED UP RATCHET STRAPPING IT TO A BAR AND LIFTING HER UP THEN I HAD TO DRAG IT ROUND ALL WEEKEND WHAT A PAIN ANY PICS SO I CAN MAKE ONE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

CHRIS:nut: