Scammell Explorer fixes and workarounds

The reason i asked this was due to the fact that when my scammell arrived at my home it ran perrrrfect after i kind of got it fit for a test run on the main roads i never even made it out of my town before the i lost all power and the engine seized solid and i do mean solid it had enough oil and water when i set off and when it died when i lifted out the engine and looked inside it looked like i could have eaten my mash from the inside of the engine there was not any signs of black diesel oil anywhere you literally could have eaten your dinner off any part of the inside anyway

i also heard of a bloke that ran his matador on a modern engine oil and it basically cleaned the engine so much in 12 months the bottom end blew out of it

the advice he was given was that these engines kind of liked to be gummed up inside and could not stand having all the carbon build up removed now my new engines in i want avoid the same

engine has good oil pressure throughout temp but i found it hard to get a replacement engine (lake district to bournemouth in a night was a good drive) which is why i asked

cheers chris

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the engine seized solid and i do mean solid it had enough oil and water when i set off and when it died when i lifted out the engine and looked inside it looked like i could have eaten my mash from the inside of the engine there was not any signs of black diesel oil anywhere you literally could have eaten your dinner off any part of the inside anyway

i also heard of a bloke that ran his matador on a modern engine oil and it basically cleaned the engine so much in 12 months the bottom end blew out of it

engine has good oil pressure throughout temp but i found it hard to get a replacement engine (lake district to bournemouth in a night was a good drive) which is why i asked

cheers chris

Chris,

I understand your concern, with very old engines that have an unknown history and the possibility of having been run on non-detergent oil, it is better to err on the safe side and only use a Straight non-detergent oil, until the time comes for an engine overhaul, when it will be internally cleaned. As you said it was a Leyland 690 ( I know the AEC 690, assume it is the same?), that dates from the 1960's so would assume it to have been run on modern detergent diesel oil.......but who knows?

A good way of telling, would be to drop the sump and if thick with sludge in the bottom, that would indicate having had a straight oil in it. In fact I would drop the sump if only to look for any signs of bearing metal and to check the bearings ( remove caps for a visual ).......at least it will give you peace of mind.

Hi chaps,

Don't suppose anyone has a couple of new oil filter elements for a meadows engined scammell lying around? Are you still abe to by new ones or is there a pile of old stock somewhere? I have cleaned mine up but even the airline fails to penertrate through to the center. A new oil filter should not drop oil pressure more than 3psi so god nows how many psi my old ones are dropping.

Could really do with some pronto if poss. I will use mine if i have to but would rather try new ones if possible.

Hope you can help

Rob.

Could really do with some pronto if poss. I will use mine if i have to but would rather try new ones if possible.

Hope you can help

Rob.

I would get some new ones. Most old sizes are still available from one or other source.

Hopefully someone will give you the filter number.

If not (and if I remember, and if I can find it) I can bring home on Wednesday an oldish Crossland catalogue which has a useful cross reference using dimensions and a photo recognition chart.

You'll need to measure the length, o.d. and i.d., and preferably post a photo of one for the centre detail.

Rob,

Am I right in thinking your engine is a 6DC630 ? Looking at the 1970 AC Filters list and oil filter is AC81, same type used also in AEC inc. AV505, Austin petrol lorry, Leyland, International BTD8 crawler, etc.

Dimension

Outside diameter ; 3.81"

Length : 6.99"

Internal diam. ; 1.95"

I would double check these dimensions with your filter just in case it is not standard.

Well i have measured the filters. They are...10 1/2" or 270mm tall (but they are a bit squashed by the sealing plates so it think they should be 11" tall)

4" in diameter or 100mm and the inside is 2" or 50mm there is a removable spring inside them to stop the filter crushing with the oil pressure.

I have found some part numbers on the filter casings /

Tecalemit oil filter no. EA 2042.

Element no. FG 2351 / 101

I have has no joy searching the internet as yet. i may have to resort to steam cleaning them at work!

DSC00131.JPG

DSC00132.JPG

These occasionally turn up at Beltring, appear to be the same as on petrol meadows. Not much help I'm afraid but they may not be as rare as you think. Worth ringing Banisters with numbers as he is very good at cross referencing military parts, and very helpful: http://www.milweb.net/go/banister/

Edited by gritineye

These occasionally turn up at Beltring, appear to be the same as on petrol meadows. Not much help I'm afraid but they may not be as rare as you think. Worth ringing Banisters with numbers as he is very good at cross referencing military parts, and very helpful: http://www.milweb.net/go/banister/

Gave him a ring and he had some in will have to send him a cheque as he isthe only buisness in the brittish isles without a switch machine. £79.00 for the 2 deliverd just hope the bloomin engine works!!

:iloveyou::yay::yay::thanx:

Rob.

have to send him a cheque as he isthe only buisness in the brittish isles without a switch machine. £79.00 for the 2 deliverd just hope the bloomin engine works!! Rob.

Just as well you didn't try to collect them as he is also one of the hardest business to find! Glad he had them another worry out the way!

Hi can anyone tell me the best oil to put into a leyland 690 turbo engine

as ive been told to use straight 30 oil but i have also been told to use a modern turbo diesel oil and i dont want to just use a fleet 15/40 diesel oil as i believe this has detergent in it which will wash the engine internally thank chris

page from manual covering 600/680/690 engines

leylandoilspec.jpg

hi been out in the explorer today seemed to get a bit warm after a while does anyone have any pictures or advice on the fans they have used with the leyland engines my fan is a good bit away from rad and i have no cowl for the fan but im thinkin of modifying the fan closer to the rad and ading a cowl but the leyland engine fan seems a lot lower than the meadows which is sitting just above the front cross member so a big fan wont work

???

thanks chris

hi been out in the explorer today seemed to get a bit warm

Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs, but are you going by the temp gauge, or is it just steam coming out of the rad filler or vacuum release valve? If so taking these apart and carefully reassembling did wonders for mine, it now holds pressure which raises the boiling point.

Thought about that bernard but i also got leaks from the rad under pressure so started thinking about mods to the fan to stop the leaks they actually stopped when it cooled slightly there was a little mist coming from the rad filler cap and header seemed very hot

i have just bought a trailer to tow as well so i want rid of any cooling problems now

cheers chris

Was the bottom hose hot too? Could be lack of draft from cooling fan. Poor water pump. Stuck thermostat. Clogged rad . Is the head gasket ok? no bubbels to be seen in the header tank when its running i hope!!

I know of a scammell explorer with a leyland 680 in and the fan is nowhere near the rad. he tows a 30 odd foot living van. He says it getsd warm on the big hills but has never had to stop and cool off. Scammel is called jumbo.

It's a big radiator with a 30mph wind blowing through it would of thought the only time it would get hot would be off road .

Hope you get it sorted. Good luck.:)

Both our Explorers run RR Eagle 220 diesels these days and the one with the engine/fan set further back has done lots of towing of all sorts, slow and flat out and has never shown any sign of over heating. A friend still has the Meadows petrol fitted, which always seems to run hotter, making the cab feel like a sauna on a warm day compared to the diesels. Despite this it doesn't seem to overheat?

I don't think I can suggest a solution in addition to any already mentioned except that the radiator seems to be over sized for the original engine to allow for use in hot climates possibly, which would suggest some other problem?

Good luck! Jules

• 2 weeks later...