Scammell Explorer fixes and workarounds

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big problem with these carburettors is that they have to be set out of sinc.

The accelerator pumps are vacuum operated therefore after setting each carb to run right, it is then necessary to loosen the connecting link between them and adjust them so that the pumps work at exactly the same time, if this is not done back fires can not be avoided.

The accelerometer pumps also come back into operation when flat out, to help the main jets flow enough fuel, this is also affected if the out of phase set up is not correct.

This procedure is set out in the workshop manual but it has to be read very carefully to spot it, it has been a while since I've done it but it works.

It's just a case of take your time, being methodical and following the book exactly. Of course the ignition system and tappet clearances also have to be spot on first.

Sure i've heard stories of engineers sitting on the front wing adjusting the carbs while the scammell is driving along:shake: Hard enough without the eyebrow and hair burning backfires! Sure theres somthing about not fiddeling with the carbs without the air boxes fitted due to the chance of hair loss:rofl:

I set the timing to the manual its a new magneto cap etc it only does it when ticking over

The usual problem is back firing when first opening the throttle to accelerate, like a progression jet is blocked, if it opens up cleanly then you have a different problem, maybe idling too rich, faulty float levels or leaks in them?

Floats have to weigh the same, they have the weight stamped on them in grams, IIRC.

• 4 weeks later...

As the headlamp guards on Forceful have been repaired loads of times now I decided to make a new Sumo pair, as per original pattern but slightly wider steel with thicker non bendy mounting plates. This gives more clearance behind for the lamps so should be better protection, but it's hard to spot the difference.

Strangely a Scammell gear makes the perfect former for the radius....:idea:

Just need a couple of bits of that tread strip stuff to finish them.

Just proves the old saying, "It's a Fowl(er) wind that blows no good"....:-D

DSCF7252.jpg

DSCF2451.jpg

DSCF2463.jpg

DSCF7352.jpg

DSCF2460.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
.Just proves the old saying, "It's a Fowl(er) wind that blows no good"....:-D

:rofl::rofl::rofl:Looking good mate,further proof us older buggers are a clever lot:-D

Better to move the lights out of the stupid place that scammell fitted them and then weld on a bit of the Titanic for good measure:idea:

Funny you should say that Robert, my first thought too..........decided they looked rubbish.

Can every body give the guy a break and refrain from mentioning anti fowling paint finishes.

DSCF2456.jpg

DSCF7355.jpg

Great, the new "Fowler Guard", can I have a set for mine?

Jules

Can do if you want Jules, used all the right size steel I had though, would also need your old ones as the mounting hole positions seem to be completely random, as you can see from the pic.

Better to move the lights out of the stupid place that scammell fitted them and then weld on a bit of the Titanic for good measure:idea:

Rob I think your lights are safe there even with a novice off roader like me driving nothing is gonna bend that lot ! :sweat:

Rob I think your lights are safe there even with a novice off roader like me driving nothing is gonna bend that lot ! :sweat:

Did you get stuck?........no.... well clearly you were well within the capabilitys of the vehicle. i can only assume that it was 5 o'clock on a friday when they were figuring out where to put the headlights and the bloke wanted to go and get a pint.:beer:

Did you get stuck?........no.... well clearly you were well within the capabilitys of the vehicle. i can only assume that it was 5 o'clock on a friday when they were figuring out where to put the headlights and the bloke wanted to go and get a pint.:beer:

Can't blame anyone for wanting a pint mate ! :-D

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd add my troubles to this thread and hopefull repair. I didn't take part in the truck trials at W&P this year cos there were nasty noises from my friend Simons Explorer, PSY 974, whilst driving over the humps in the arena.

Finally looked into it on Saturday with Thors blog in mind, and found a broken rear axle oil pump. Luckily the bearings have all survived, but unfortunately the largest spacing washer is badly worn, and the main pump housing is worn too allowing the huge thrust bearing to move back and forth wearing both further!

Luckily I have the spare Explorer 01 BD 28 which has a largely complete rear axle, which on closer inspection has a great worm gear, and complete pump. With any luck all will be repaired in the next few days as we're off to Bethune with IMPS on thursday next week!

Below are various pics of the work in progress. The socket I had to make to remove the rear worm nut was fun, and the nut is pictured beside a 27mm Landrover wheel nut!

Jules

Oil pump gear.jpg

nut and socket.jpg

oil pump housing.jpg

worm gear.jpg

Worn gear nut.jpg

oil feed holes.jpg

spare worm 001.jpg

spare diff.jpg