Scammell Explorer fixes and workarounds

Just a word of caution chaps, very few re-engine jobs I have seen have the locating arms in place.

It's probably ok to have the fan that close if the Explorer has a Meadows diesel fitted as the original engine locating arms have most likely been refitted to stop fore and aft engine movement.

These not only make the clutch linkage more precise they will stop the forward motion of the engine tearing the couplings apart in the case of a sudden stop like a cross rut.

Most off road vehicles have a space and a cowl to avoid fan into rad problems.

Just trying to help, people often don't think of the off road aspect as they have no intention of going there...........................but we have ways of making you :-D

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for that i made the gap between fan and rad a fraction bigger than the distance between the crank pully and cross member the engine is mounted forward against front crossmember so it shouldnt be able to move forward

or at least thats what im hoping

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For a while now Forceful has been loosing a small amount of water over time, to help isolate the leak I fitted taps to the axle heat exchanger connections. This showed that no water was lost with the taps closed.

While I had room with the prop off to replace the worm shaft seal, I thought it was a good time to fix the leak.

Found a hairline crack in one of the previous in service repairs, dug it out and re-soldered it using self cleaning flux and capillary solder.

Hard to work out why this has been a problem more than once, maybe poor preparation of the area when it was made, there was no self cleaning flux then even a finger mark could have done it.

DSCF7148.jpg

DSCF7114.jpg

DSCF7118.jpg

DSCF7123.jpg

DSCF7124.jpg

Edited by gritineye

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...