Scammell Explorer fixes and workarounds

Hello Mike

You will have to take the end case off. The fulcrum pin has a taper with a flat washer castle nut and split pin inside the end caseing. Bit of a fiddle to get at without pressing out the hub shaft and removing the gear. Hope this helps.

Dave.

It makes sense, but why doesnt the castle nut and washer show in the parts book? And if it has a split pin, how can it have come loose? If I take the end case off, is it impossible to get to the nut with the gear and shaft in place, or just very difficult?

Edited by antarmike

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont know why they don't show the washer and nut, slip up in the drawing department maybe. I had this happen to mine. Why they come loose i don't know, Brake vibration .? I did get mine apart without removing the gear i got the split pin out but found it impossible to get back in so i used a self locking nut and plenty of lock tight. had to make a spanner to fit. Hope it stays where it is !!

Dave

Dont know why they don't show the washer and nut, slip up in the drawing department maybe. I had this happen to mine. Why they come loose i don't know, Brake vibration .? I did get mine apart without removing the gear i got the split pin out but found it impossible to get back in so i used a self locking nut and plenty of lock tight. had to make a spanner to fit. Hope it stays where it is !!

Dave

Thanks, I am draining oil as I type. That end is going to have to come off. Oh and the Scammell is now mine, not my wife's...Andi gave it to me yesterday...says she has had enough of it, she has spent three years working on it on and off and driven it about three days total. I am hoping she is joking because I don't like Explorers!!! I think there is some real shyte engineering on them, and this pin idea is typical badly thought out, badly executed Scammell engineering, long live AEC!!!!

Edited by antarmike

Tell Andy not to give up mine took 12 years and there's still little things to do :wow:

We have been 103 minutes on the split pin so far......three quarters out now!

And its out...

fulcrumpin002.jpg

fulcrumpin001.jpg

I would welcome a piccy of the spanner you made, to see what your idea was and how on earth you found a way in to that nut!

Edited by antarmike

Where the castle nut lives is so far into the end casing I can't get a photo.

fulcrumpin004.jpg

We found three flat washers, not one. This is presumably to shim up the slotted nut so that the split cotter pin lines up with the hole in the fulcrum pin. Can I say what an abolutely ludicrous design, what on earth were Scammell thinking ( but I reckon the truth is, like so much Scammell stuff, they just weren't thinking....)

Edited by antarmike

Thanks, I am draining oil as I type. That end is going to have to come off. Oh and the Scammell is now mine, not my wife's...Andi gave it to me yesterday...says she has had enough of it, she has spent three years working on it on and off and driven it about three days total. I am hoping she is joking because I don't like Explorers!!! I think there is some real shyte engineering on them, and this pin idea is typical badly thought out, badly executed Scammell engineering, long live AEC!!!!

Try and get Andi to have a look on here and we will all offer words of comfort, encouragement and occasionally wisdom. Try pointing out that three days in three years, is three days more than Andy Fowler has managed :cool2:

HMVF - The Scammell Explorer Owners' crisis support and drop-in centre :-D

Try and get Andi to have a look on here and we will all offer words of comfort, encouragement and occasionally wisdom. Try pointing out that three days in three years, is three days more than Andy Fowler has managed :cool2:

HMVF - The Scammell Explorer Owners' crisis support and drop-in centre :-D

:cry::cry::cry: very true mate but I'm still enjoying myself and one day I'll get there ! I've got to finish before my son Fred learns to drive ! ( He's eighteen months old at the moment !):-D:-D :-D

Hi Croc,

It's Andi here, Mikes better half:cool2:

I'm not sulking as much today about the scammell, and have reclaimed it off old grumpy chops......shyte engineering....what does he know.....he's got an antar:cheesy:!!!!

I don't think anyone does a restoration without spitting their dummy out at one time or other, unless they use a cheque book, but I'm ok now,

thanks for caring:red:

Andi

Hello everyone , While I have the cable drum off I was wondering if anyone had any experience of stopping the crane winch leaking from behind the cable drum and also the opposite end of the drum shaft ! Any thoughts welcome ! :-D I have in the past been told they all leak ! (not by a forum member I hasten to add ) :-D

Mine doesn't leak from the winch drum but it gushes out where the drive shaft enters the bottom of the box:-( i will have to have some of the stern gland packing off the shelf at work and re pack it:cool2: but for the mo it stops the main winch dog clutch linkage siezing up. Not sure the winch brake is up to much with its covering of oil though:red:

My mate has the oil pump in his workshop ans is machining a female taper in a lump of metal to fit on the pump shaft. i had a go myself but the old wilson lathe is a bit huge for such a tiny job. Anyway got 4" of snow up here at the mo and its blowing a hooley and minus 3 so sat in the lounge with the laptop and a log burner seems more fun:-D

Good to hear you have a solution mate ! Now we'll hear no more of that AEC nonsense I hope (unless you are gonna have a pair of vintage recovery vehicles of course , that I can understand ) ! I guess snowy weather comes with the beautifull scenery , just loads of rain here in the smoke ! Have you ventured down the registration route for the Scammell yet ? :-D

Well that's a fix worth knowing, wouldn't have thought it was possible.

Good to know what the spanner looks like too, thanks for that Mike.

Head is offset, so needs other hand making for other end casing. If the other leaking hub unit proves to be a leak from the fulcrum pin, it is the same hand as this one .

Split pin has to be bent into a gentle curve before attempting to fit it.

Glad to hear you had a success with that Mike and that Andi hasn't given up on it ....yet! . fingers crossed the rest are ok. It's good to know it's possible to do it in situ. I've plenty of these jobs to look forward to I imagine :undecided: Daz

Glad to hear you had a success with that Mike and that Andi hasn't given up on it ....yet! . fingers crossed the rest are ok. It's good to know it's possible to do it in situ. I've plenty of these jobs to look forward to I imagine :undecided: Daz

It is so tight to get into the nut and split pin I can't get a proper photo....yes I hope the other leak we have isn't the same problem....

It is so tight to get into the nut and split pin I can't get a proper photo....yes I hope the other leak we have isn't the same problem....

Yes the other leak IS IN THE SAME EFFING PLACE!

What a pi55 poor Scammell design. And as for their manufacturing, it is shyte.

The last fulcrum pin was full of machining swarf, down the drilled and tapped extraction hole, and in the end of the shaft that carries the split pin. I reckon the problem is the brake shoe Fulcrum pins have been put in trapping swarf in the tapers, and over time the swarf has compressed and the pins come loose. I am sorry to be rude about the much loved and admired Explorer, but faced with another walking beam end casting to take off and another effing castle nut to take out I am left completly underwelmed by their abilty to design or manufacture anything. LONG LIVE THORNYCROFT.

Edited by antarmike

Just remembered something rather interesting about 'The Beast' he's running 1500 r20's but the speedo works perfectly?? :undecided: I have realised that he has a transmission hand brake (neate brake) has anyone got any detailed photos of this assembly as it isn't connected

Cheers

Pete Stevens