Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Probably a long shot, but just a thought.

If R.A.F. Boulmer was the service centre for the Explorer and there was a missile recovery use involved here, perhaps the missile site on the A69, between Newcastle and Carlisle at Spadeadam was its working area.

It would be possible that the Explorer would be pulled in from Boulmer to service/recover rockets on test days at this site.

I believe, Blue Steel was tested there!

01BD89 certainly wasn't seen in the Newcastle area in my time there, our local Explorer was 94BD55.

Regards to all,

Mike

Relating back you some choice elements of Explorer design I find ludicrous, Andi has just brained herself walking into the lugs that stick down at head height from the underside of the spare wheel carrier. I hope she is Okay, her head really hurts. Who on earth a Scammell thought that was a good design feature?? Scammell 3 out of 10.

Relating back you some choice elements of Explorer design I find ludicrous, Andi has just brained herself walking into the lugs that stick down at head height from the underside of the spare wheel carrier. I hope she is Okay, her head really hurts. Who on earth a Scammell thought that was a good design feature?? Scammell 3 out of 10.

Is Andi ok?

Sadly I missed out on the heavy vehicle trials as the Explorer I was going to use has some transmission "noises", however socoolpaul used mine, and on the drag race did a top handbrake turn at the end following a request (?) from Bernard. Sadly it wasn't captured in its full glory on a clip on Youtube. "War and Peace 2009 308". Next year maybe?

Jules

There ya go Julesy....vid by Drew..

Something went wrong...

Its still fitted with with its original Meadows Petrol Engine

Lovely, :thumbsup: interesting to see those kit boxes on the back of a "Mk 1" did they come with it?

Are those Jerry cans underneath them?

Edited by gritineye