Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely, :thumbsup: interesting to see those kit boxes on the back of a "Mk 1" did they come with it?

Are those Jerry cans underneath them?

The kit boxes and jerry cans were fitted when this vehicle was restored some 20 years ago , the owners kitted it out to the same specification as the one they operated when serving with the R.E.M.E .

Did you spot the extra rear wing braces??

No but I did spot the shiney door handles, same as the Islay one, did you notice how the Explorer appeared to be winching on shore at the same time as the Foden was reversing past it on the LST??

And what was the Trewela winch doing?

Time for my input my scammell 05BD76 is an exact copy to the nearest detail possible of a scammell that my father had from new in 1952 reg no 05BD78 this was based in my home town until transfered to 118 recovery company based at Brentwood road leicester clare street northamton and elizabeth street corby.05BD76 is still about and i am still in touch with the owners.My father ran 118 for many years until his retirement in 1984 he also had under his command bedford light and leyland martian recovery vehicles.We have always had an explorer in the family and when 05BD78 went 05BD76 replaced it.Father remembers the prototype called SALLY on test and also many miles on cine film of his life with R.E.M.E. It is widely known that my dear dad is a leading expert on explorers and recovery .Wehave had a long break from rallies but am ready to take 05BD76 out and about. Sorry if i have gone on to much. Alan Walker.P.S father is 80 and needs a helping hand to get in the scammell.

Time for my input my scammell 05BD76 is an exact copy to the nearest detail possible of a scammell that my father had from new in 1952 reg no 05BD78 this was based in my home town until transfered to 118 recovery company based at Brentwood road leicester clare street northamton and elizabeth street corby.05BD76 is still about and i am still in touch with the owners.My father ran 118 for many years until his retirement in 1984 he also had under his command bedford light and leyland martian recovery vehicles.We have always had an explorer in the family and when 05BD78 went 05BD76 replaced it.Father remembers the prototype called SALLY on test and also many miles on cine film of his life with R.E.M.E. It is widely known that my dear dad is a leading expert on explorers and recovery .Wehave had a long break from rallies but am ready to take 05BD76 out and about. Sorry if i have gone on to much. Alan Walker.P.S father is 80 and needs a helping hand to get in the scammell.

Welcome Lord Curzon ! This is the place to go on about Scammells mate ! You won't get a single complaint here! Will you be able to post any photos you have on here please ?Also where will you be taking the old girl as I personally cant see enough of em ! Andy F:-D

Edited by AndyFowler

I remember you. We used to meet up at Stonleigh during the 1980's each year with our Explorers, you may remember me (John Riley) we used to drive ours the 120 miles or so from Stockport. There were 6 of us who owned it as well as a Champ each, so we used to take turns at driving and split the fuel between us. One year you took some nice photo's of the two Explorers and a Pioneer together which you very kindly sent us copies of, well before digital cameras !!! I recall that you also had a 7 1/2 tonne ecovery trailer as well.

Sorry to say the Explorer is no longer in my ownership but is still alive now residing at Duxford sporting a Meadows 6DC630 diesel.

Nice to hear from you Alan.

John Riley

(Still in Stockport, with some even bigger toys now)

Hope to see a few of you at Dorset this weekend. Cheers. Daz

Going to be a bit of a wet one by the look of it this year, tomorrow is going to be really bad according to the forecast. That isn't going to stop me going but not until Thursday evening until Sunday evening.

See you all their.

I assume this place has been discussed long and hard but I can't find any mention of it by searching. I also assume that most people keep an eye on 28 Days Later. However, in the unlikely event that someone has overlooked it a report on 28DL from RAF Folkingham.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=42898

I stuck it in here because the most interesting picture is of an Explorer.

Jut been looking at my headlights as i feel it's time to refit them but it seems they are a bit past restoratoin( bloody rotten more like:-() Are they easy to get hold of ?? I'm not sure if they are the original ones but are definatly military and 8" accross the bezel. I could bodge them up with filler ect but can't really be arsed with that sort of thing. (got a bit of a phobia about filler and would rather see a dent:shake:)

Jut been looking at my headlights as i feel it's time to refit them but it seems they are a bit past restoratoin( bloody rotten more like:-() Are they easy to get hold of ?? I'm not sure if they are the original ones but are definatly military and 8" accross the bezel. I could bodge them up with filler ect but can't really be arsed with that sort of thing. (got a bit of a phobia about filler and would rather see a dent:shake:)

Loads about at shows from a tenner or so rough up to £65.00 for new Halogen type.