Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike I will scan and post it tomorrow if no one else has by then, or I can email a PDF if you like.

Cheers PDF would be better wouldn't it, Thanks....

Back brake strip down has begun, we have one drum off, and I am just thinking about making the counterbore and I want to make the counterbore for the front linings at the same time, but don't have details, cheers...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi can someone give me some info on headlamp bulb part numbers and supplyers:idea:. Think mine were half inched at some point in it's past life. Oh i also have a pair of butler side lights i need bulbs for. all 24 volt. I think i can get the bulbs from my auto and general store but need to know what to ask for:???

Hi can someone give me some info on headlamp bulb part numbers and supplyers:idea:. Think mine were half inched at some point in it's past life. Oh i also have a pair of butler side lights i need bulbs for. all 24 volt. I think i can get the bulbs from my auto and general store but need to know what to ask for:???

Cant give you the bulb type by lamp application but if you post a picture of the bulb holders then I will give you the bulb number you need.

Hope that helps.

Failing that tke the bulb holder to a half decent CV factor and no doubt they will sort it out for you.

Edited by Plantters
Spelling

HI mate,

the type you want for the headlights depends if you have the old 2 candlewatt 'can"t see a thing', 50 /50watt pfc or the modern 75/70watt halogen bulbs and the sidelights are 6watt scc hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Those shots of 91BD87 look like someone is playing 'let's try and get the Scammell stuck' although I wouldn't have thought it was stuck in the first one, doesn't every owner/driver pose theirs something like that at least once?

well I have anyway

As always interesting pix

Those shots of 91BD87 look like someone is playing 'let's try and get the Scammell stuck' although I wouldn't have thought it was stuck in the first one, doesn't every owner/driver pose theirs something like that at least once?

well I have anyway

As always interesting pix

:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

AllelysGDSF-060909 (21).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Great pictures Rippo ,thanks for posting ! Very clean machine ! :-D

Yes, I do remember, Lyme Park Steam Rally, probably about 1984/5. Not long after "we" had completed the restoration of the Explorer. We decided to have a little run round on the field behind where the vehicles were displayed not knowing that there was a hidden ditch / bog, we finished up with all 3 wheels on one side in the bog, rather than shunting to get it out we decided to self recover from the front using the winch hence your photo showing the winch cable deployed. We coupled the winch rope to a ploughing engine which was further up the field side on. We anchored around one of his drive wheels close to the ground. From knowhere suddenly a BBC film crew arrived and set up to film the whole episode, The Explorer came out without any effort but we were never able to track down the film footage.

Q67 GDB eventually finished up at Duxford but I understand that it may have now been sold on into private hands, does anybody now if this is fact ?

The "we" was the group of 6 Champ owners from Stockport who were friends who decided to club together to buy the Explorer from a recovery operator in Eskdale in Cumbria and then restored it to the condition you can see in the photo's posted. Later in it's life I bought out the other members of the group and owned it on my own for a while, the start of the vast list of heavy Military Vehicles I have owned over the years.

John.

• 3 weeks later...
i know this is an old post but i am sure that this is a pic of the explorer xsk460 anyone else agree ?

Gosh And golly, Looks like you may be right Nick, have you seen XSK 460 lately?

Please don't tell us you spotted the jib through the rear cab window in post

#389?......:shocked:

Unless Andy Fowler comes up with something better pretty quick, you may have just snatched the HMVF Scammell spotter of 2009 award at the last minute!..:clap:

Bother, must update the index soon.

jib window.jpg

Edited by gritineye