Austin 8AP military tourer 8hp

Radek

Rere and interesting car. Militarized 1939 tourer, 9500 were build.

4cyl 23.5 bhp engine (900cc sv), driving rear wheels via 4-speed gearbox, mechanical brakes. weight 1510 lb.

On the first picture is standart tourer

another one is military tourer

deferents: wheals, side engine ventilation, rifle clips, ...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:cry:

I haven´t parts for complete this nice car.

Know somebody if is possible use parts from standard Austin 8Hp? :dunno:

Thanks Radek

Wonderful little vehicle. Just as much history as the big noisy clanky tracky things, and you can actually use it! ;-)

Mechanically I should think so. the British Government ran a 'Subsidy' scheme bettween the wars. Manufacturers and owners, particularly of commercial vehicles would be subsidised to the tune of £120, the cost of a Lorry chassis, if they designed or bought a vehicle to the specifications. The proviso was the vehicle would be requisitioned in time of war. The problem was each manufacturer designed their own vehicle to get the subsidy, using their own parts. End result was a logistic nightmare, each vehicle needing a diffrent supply chain. The US got it right, a standard design and everyone made the same parts.

:cry:

I haven´t parts for complete this nice car.

Know somebody if is possible use parts from standard Austin 8Hp? :dunno:

Thanks Radek

I believe the only difference between the Military and Civilian versions was the Bonnet sides. Anybody know any mechanical differencies?

The US got it right, a standard design and everyone made the same parts.

Tony,

To be fair to our country and manufacturers, the US did not start their standard designs until after the war started. Our motor manufacturers were all in competion with one another and during the 1930's would not have been happy sharing design work with each other. Hardly a comparison, I think. Our people did well and the fact that so many of these British vehicles were still in use, for several decades after 1945, speaks volumes.

Richard

Yes the Tilly (Austin Ten) is bigger as 8AP (Austin Eight).

Is the 8AP same as Austin 8hp tourer 1939?

I need many parts. It is easily and cheaper for me buy standard 8hp car and take parts, then searching for military 8AP parts.

What I know one military 8AP is in UK for sale.

Radek

Tony,

To be fair to our country and manufacturers, the US did not start their standard designs until after the war started. Our motor manufacturers were all in competion with one another and during the 1930's would not have been happy sharing design work with each other. Hardly a comparison, I think. Our people did well and the fact that so many of these British vehicles were still in use, for several decades after 1945, speaks volumes.

Richard

Yes Richard, but US learnt it's lesson with the Liberty truck a military spec mouse. They had the sense to draw up a basic want list and then say to the manufactures, thats the list do it and use as many stock parts as possible. We will try the rseults out. The trick was to ask the people that bulit the things to do it not a committe , then when a finalised design was sealed say to everyone, this is what you build. As a by product nobody gets everything they want, but everyone gets something, booming economy. the other factor in the US favour wa that the British were the most mechanised army at the time, they already had established lines and stocks. When the war actually started and a lot was lost at Dunkirk there was not the tooling time or money available to start a new design. The US had in the the later part of 1930's about 28,000 vehicles in total in the armed forces including WW1 vehicles. They had the time the money and no enemy disruption to be able to start again from scratch. Also the terrain in the US required civillian long distance trucks, not reliant on railway systems as UK did and off road performance was needed (A lot of US roads are still dirt tracks), so the design skills were there.

I will ask my friend if is something write in back of picture.

Radek

You know that building in the background? It looks very like the old indoor riding school at Moreton Morrell. Love to think it is. the estate was originally built by an american and was famous for it Polo ground. http://www.moreton-hall.co.uk

This pic give me Higgins.

Here is onother one from my collection. :-)))

Radek

Pic with lass in it, looks to be she's ATS, well cap badge looks familiar, although I couldn't magnify much.

These certainly are GREAT PIC's, Radek.

This is possibly the last surviving Austin Wireless vehicle No1. 60 were lost in the fall of France. this one was involved in an accident on the way to the port to be shipped to France prior to the German Invasion, and was just dumped in a barn till the '70s, beautiful little car.

This is possibly the last surviving Austin Wireless vehicle No1. 60 were lost in the fall of France. this one was involved in an accident on the way to the port to be shipped to France prior to the German Invasion, and was just dumped in a barn till the '70s, beautiful little car.

Actually that is a Morris 8