Austin 8AP military tourer 8hp

Radek

Only going for 4 days but I have not been on the island for liberation day for about 15 years so I am really looking forward to it and with 5 bmi flights from Heathrow for £255 all in it is quite affordable just got to organise a cheap hire car now and contact CIOS to see what they have open so that we dont miss anything

Nigel

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only going for 4 days but I have not been on the island for liberation day for about 15 years so I am really looking forward to it and with 5 bmi flights from Heathrow for £255 all in it is quite affordable just got to organise a cheap hire car now and contact CIOS to see what they have open so that we dont miss anything

Nigel

Try Falles they have a deal with BMI. Where do you get the cheap fares? I want to go ober in February but will probaly take a car on the vomit comet as I've heavy stuff to move. Richard Le Brocq on JMV will know whats going on after all most of the vehicles are his (Lucky >>>)

My wife found the flights on the bmi website on new years day and the good thing as far as we are concerned is that they are from heathrow so it is only a half hour drive from home rather than the seemingly endless trek round the m25 to gatwick .

With reference to the sea crossing I have to say this would be my prefered route really but get outvoted by wife and daughter every time I even had to go to calais by tunnel and drive 250 miles to utah beach last year rather than getting the ferry to caen and driving about 30 miles and am repeating this journey again this august.

Thanks for the tip re falles I will call them tomorrow and I have emailed Tim Hamon at the cios to see what is going on whilst we are there but will try JMV as well later

cheers Nigel

• 3 months later...

Not a Military Tourer but a British Pathé still of a rather sad ex-National Fire Service car being auctioned at Dunsfold after the war. This thread seemed the best place to post it.

crashednfsaustindp6.th.jpg

Somehow I doubt if this one made it into preservation !

I hope that no-one objects if I turn this into a bit of an Austin 8 & 10 hp thread and include a Tilly ? The forum is a bit short of photos these days.

I found this one whilst searching the IWM 'B' series of photos. It is not adequately captioned so a search for Austins wouldn't have found it.

b005929austintillysx9.th.jpg

A good example of rather over-fiddly 'Mickey Mouse' as so often the case with smaller vehicles.

I hope that no-one objects if I turn this into a bit of an Austin 8 & 10 hp thread and include a Tilly ? The forum is a bit short of photos these days.

I found this one whilst searching the IWM 'B' series of photos. It is not adequately captioned so a search for Austins wouldn't have found it.

b005929austintillysx9.th.jpg

A good example of rather over-fiddly 'Mickey Mouse' as so often the case with smaller vehicles.

Great Pic,.........what link did you use to get IWM B series pic's. ??

If you go the photograph search page on the IWM on-line archive, there is a field for "photograph number" - In that box, don't enter anything other than a capital 'B' - Then 'Search' - You should be able to see all of the 'B' series (The British Army in Normandy 1944) that they have put on line to date.

If I see an IWM photo credit in a book, I always make a check on-line for the rest of the collection. The pictures are frequently quite sparsely captioned so ploughing through the series usually throws up something that you might not otherwise find.

Enjoy yourself !

Rich

If you go the photograph search page on the IWM on-line archive, there is a field for "photograph number" - In that box, don't enter anything other than a capital 'B' - Then 'Search' - You should be able to see all of the 'B' series (The British Army in Normandy 1944) that they have put on line to date.

If I see an IWM photo credit in a book, I always make a check on-line for the rest of the collection. The pictures are frequently quite sparsely captioned so ploughing through the series usually throws up something that you might not otherwise find.

Enjoy yourself !

Rich

:tup::

Got them. :-D

Cheers.

Andy