First outing ends badly

9.00am today (11/08/2024), my newly (and very expensively!) restored Bedford QL, about to set off for a day at Yorkshire Wartime experience, our first run since the restoration was completed. Picture 1.

09.15, less than a mile down the road. BMW pulled out directly in front of us. Picture 2.

Picture 3 shows damage to nearside - chassis leg is bent and axle shifted back several inces on the spring.

Thankfully no-one was seriously injured - son and I both thrown forward hitting our heads on the windscreens, have whiplash and other aches and pains, obviously very shaken, the lady driver of the other vehicle was thankfully protected by airbags, so we all walked away from it. Could have been a lot worse, but as you can imagine, I am devastated at the damage to my QL which cost many thousands to restore

IMG-20240811-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20240811-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20240811-WA0011.jpg

• Sad 3

Sorry to hear Mike.

Hopefully the both of you will make a full recovery soon.

I won't say BS;  ah its only damage to a vehicle and can be fixed because I can fully understand how gutted you must feel.

• Like 1

Very sorry to see this after the many hours of work that you put in.  The QL will be up and running again sooner than later. 

Situations like this is where a dash cam can be worth it's weight in gold. 

• Like 1

+ 1 regarding your lack of injury, but this sort of careless driving gets my goat. Probably because I'm not so sanguine as others who have posted I hope the BM driver is prosecuted & suffers increased insurance premiums.

If she can't see something the size of a QL maybe her eyesight is below the DVLA requirements, which is an offence in itself.

Best of luck with the insurance pay out & repairs to your truck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry to see this - real bad luck (a man of your capabilities should soon re-sort it)  , built up area - the lady driver has no excuse.  If it had been in a rural ara  - she could claim otherwise - blended into the hedges.  Any OD type shade or  DP  -  it's safest to drive on public highway always on side-lamps at a minimum.

• Like 1