Ebay Land Rover FFR

bigduke6

12 minutes ago, ruxy said:

I have never seen one on a Lightweight and I have viewed 1000's at auctions &  MVS ,  use of  LWT  it's a regular ploy to double the  £ asking for parts.    Only at the right £ asking would I buy it for my Rover 10 and mount it inside the tub.  However - it does seem specific S3  & the long leg type seems just too numb to bolt-on anywhere.

No, I don't think I'd bother buying one even if I had a Series 3 LWB to put it in.  I never saw anyone use one, they were just 'there' and other things were stuffed in them, as I said earlier.  The long legged ones seem even more clumsy nd would certainly get in the way of anything else you wihed to put between the front seats.

I suspect they were all gone by the time the Series land Rovers went out of service as, by that time, the SA80 was in service and the racks for those took upp the space between the front seats.

Can you remember when, and on perhaps which, Land Rover the rifle clips mounted on the dashboard were last used?  I can remember them, but from a long time ago - must have been Series 2A of some sort - probably when I was doing my radio user training in about 1976.  A memorable exercise I recall when one of our number had an accident and actually came up on the net to say, 'I've turned the Rover over, over!'

Hi

Been searching through my in-service photos, the best I can come up with is this

jerrycan.thumb.jpg.8f6ed3328056c7cd041602fcd4cac96d.jpg

Jerry can holder  ?

Also just noticed, the dexion racking is quite different

Cheers

Richard

• Like 1

I don't recall that particular Dexion perforation  the modern stuff - 2 variations  , time-line  Series / Defender  ?  EK gives earliest date.

The other dating feature is the as shown small arms clips ,these are the basic clip (leather lined)  prior to the SLR type of superior construction having aluminium casting frames.

20 hours ago, 10FM68 said:

No, I don't think I'd bother buying one even if I had a Series 3 LWB to put it in.  I never saw anyone use one, they were just 'there' and other things were stuffed in them, as I said earlier.  The long legged ones seem even more clumsy nd would certainly get in the way of anything else you wihed to put between the front seats.

I suspect they were all gone by the time the Series land Rovers went out of service as, by that time, the SA80 was in service and the racks for those took upp the space between the front seats.

Can you remember when, and on perhaps which, Land Rover the rifle clips mounted on the dashboard were last used?  I can remember them, but from a long time ago - must have been Series 2A of some sort - probably when I was doing my radio user training in about 1976.  A memorable exercise I recall when one of our number had an accident and actually came up on the net to say, 'I've turned the Rover over, over!'

Dashboard small arms clips defo.  Rovers 8/9  , I would have to check with Rover 10/11   -  you know because the instrument panel plate was different with different part No.  - it had a knotch cut-out on lower folded edge - not easily seen.  SA80  - on S3  seemed too me to be a individual effort .  I don't recall anything special for Sterling.  SA80  I oblained a proper kit at great £ for my 90"   , long bars & tree wood inc. instal diagram ISTR but for some reason not inc. the butt clip  (I was robbed).

Interesting pic above, they must be part of a LAD, regarding the Jerry can holder in my old Series 111 it did seem original, the previous owner before me did give it some of his artistic license ( the extra candle sticks etc and a few bits in the tub) he also removed the hard top and replaced it with sticks and canvas and put a roll bar in which the new owner has removed. 
jerry can holder or not slapping nearly an extra £4k on the price for a rebuilding the head is a bit steep, I had rivet counters complaining about the £4k I had it up for……which I thought wasn’t too bad , if I had of done the doors, the bulkhead work, fuel tank senders etc , then the price would be near what he is asking. 
I’ll see if I have some pics of the holder. 

That's the exact same fitment that mine had, I never thought to question it although I did think it was a weird placement for fuel or water.

Clive, If you ever took photos of my old S3 FFR at WP show when it was next to my Pig you may be able to even see it fitted.

1 hour ago, fv1609 said:

Another jerrican holder on here:

https://www.milweb.net/webvert/a7472/106366

Or is this the vehicle that was on ebay that I can no longer view?

Yep!  That's the one.  And, typically, although in civilian hands now, it is being used for another purpose other than that for which it was fitted!  I suspect that was the case for nearly all of them!

On 3/4/2024 at 7:50 PM, 64EK26 said:

Hi

Been searching through my in-service photos, the best I can come up with is this

jerrycan.thumb.jpg.8f6ed3328056c7cd041602fcd4cac96d.jpg

Jerry can holder  ?

Also just noticed, the dexion racking is quite different

Cheers

Richard

Probably the LAD of the Coldstream Guards when they were in Belfast in the 70s.  Note early DPM trousers, beret still blue - (prior to adopting the khali one which even attached pers like REME would have worn, cap badge in centre of forehead - a 70's fashion and careful wrapping of puttees with three layers on display - very Guards!  That's ignoring the Coldm Gds badge on the Land Rover door, of course!  Dexion looks right for a Land Rover FFR of that period.