Ebay Land Rover FFR

bigduke6

I received a phone call from someone recently, who had viewed my old Land Rover FFR last year when I was selling it, He was interested to know if I had repaired the bits that needed doing , I explained it was sold last year , but he pointed me in the direction of ebay,  It is listed on ebay by the new owner, item number 225986423516 . since he has had it , he has done a unleaded head conversion, but still can't  see that would nearly double the value of what it was sold for ??? 

Although a very good Landrover it needed doors and a few places in the Bulkhead repairing, plus some TLC. If anyone has a wad of cash burning a hole in there pocket just be warned it does need work, plus the dent in the bulkhead pillar did put a lot of folk off when I was selling it. 

It does look a bit cocked up, certainly.  I never quite understood why that feature was introduced on Series 3 Land Rovers - nor why it had such a complicated fixing arrangement at the top - I never saw one actually used to hold a jerrican - it was just in the way.  The holder was more usually the repository of the works ticket and the driver's pullover!

1 hour ago, 10FM68 said:

It does look a bit cocked up, certainly.  I never quite understood why that feature was introduced on Series 3 Land Rovers - nor why it had such a complicated fixing arrangement at the top - I never saw one actually used to hold a jerrican - it was just in the way.  The holder was more usually the repository of the works ticket and the driver's pullover!

Is it really meant as a can holder ?  I was always led to believe it was for a radio, it would be nuts to deliberately carry fuel internally never mind in that position. I've never known the MOD to have such crazy ideas  🤭

1 hour ago, Mk3iain said:

Is it really meant as a can holder ?  I was always led to believe it was for a radio, it would be nuts to deliberately carry fuel internally never mind in that position. I've never known the MOD to have such crazy ideas  🤭

Yes, it was.  It certainly wasn't for a radio - there was all the dexion and gubbins in the back for that.  I agree that it was an awkward place to put a jerrican, but, when you're already sitting on a petrol tank, I don't suppose having another 4 1/2 gallons next to you is much of an issue, particularly as a jerrican is a very secure and robust means of carrying fuel!  Though, of course, you could put a water jerrican there instead.  But, as I said, I never saw it used for a jerrican - most Land Rovers had trailers and the jerricans, of petrol, (later diesel) water and kerosene (for the Aladdin stoves which were then issued) used to be put in there - out of the way.  As for the  Champ, I don't think there was any specific limitation as to what the jerrican at the rear carried - petrol would have made sense as most military vehicles were expected to have a reserve of fuel onboard somewhere and this would have been a carry-over from the Jeep.  The only one where it seems always to be consistently water rather than fuel is on the back of Centurion turrets, but that makes sense as a jerrican isn't going to be much use as a reserve of petrol for one of those and water close at hand for a brew would be useful.

The photograph is unclear but the securing thinghy seems similar / same as Rovers  6,8,10 where there was not the tub provision for mounting the spare wheel , instead there was a spine with attachment for a  1/2 Jerry intended for engine L.O.  - I would have to check - I think the Rover S2A  109"  mark(s)  had similar but not S3  109"  ?  I suspect a unorthodox fitment.

47 minutes ago, ruxy said:

The photograph is unclear but the securing thinghy seems similar / same as Rovers  6,8,10 where there was not the tub provision for mounting the spare wheel , instead there was a spine with attachment for a  1/2 Jerry intended for engine L.O.  - I would have to check - I think the Rover S2A  109"  mark(s)  had similar but not S3  109"  ?  I suspect a unorthodox fitment.

I don't think so.  As I recall, this jerrican holder appeared only on the Series 3.  My memory isn't that brilliant, but I can't remember it on the earlier models, but most of my service was on Series 3 and later and nothing before 2As.  And I recall wondering what it was when I frst encountered it - again, suggesting it was novel for the Series 3.  

But I don't think there would be any arrangement in a British military Land Rover for any 'half jerricans" - they weren't issued.  There were the full fat 4 1/2 gallon (20l) ones and then you were into thin-walled gallon cans for oil.  By this stage the earlier 2-gallon cans with the diagonal handle and the brass screw cap had gone out of service.  It isn't an unorthodox fitment.  The securing 'thingy' is very probably a carry-over from earlier fittings on the tub side of the bulkhead on GS vehicles (not on FFRs, of course, because the radio trays were fitted there).  I presume any remaining ones were removed once the SA80 rifle fittings were fitted in their place.

Edited by 10FM68

I can't find anything in  S2 / S2A Parts catalogues inc. the Rover 10/11.  I have seen the odd one , actually possibly several at vehicle disposal sales  , thinking w.t.f. and taking no further interest.  I have just checked  Army Code  No. 22230   (Issued March 1980)    TRUCK, UTILITY,  3/4 ton,  4 x 4    (Rover No.  608179)  -  no mention at all .  I doubt if they were a unit type mod.  possibly a  AESP  drawing / instructions  ?   Possibly upcycled from another truck make  ?   monkey see / monkey do like ammo. box between dumb-ions ?    or some sort of pallet racking for fuel transport ?   If ever it had appeared fitted to a Lightweight then more would be known -  just not the same level of interest  with  109"  3/4 ton, so I doubt if full details will ever emerge .

2 hours ago, ruxy said:

I can't find anything in  S2 / S2A Parts catalogues inc. the Rover 10/11. ........ so I doubt if full details will ever emerge .

Hi

I have one of these in my Rover8...

Also can't find the part number in any of mine either, but the clamping bracket that holds the Jerry can in place does have a part number 333464

see https://www.seriesparts.co.uk/PartDetail?stockid=287

I use it for water as I have a slight leak in my radiator

Cheers

Richard

49 minutes ago, 64EK26 said:

Hi

I have one of these in my Rover8...

Also can't find the part number in any of mine either, but the clamping bracket that holds the Jerry can in place does have a part number 333464

see https://www.seriesparts.co.uk/PartDetail?stockid=287

I use it for water as I have a slight leak in my radiator

Cheers

Richard

You just confirmed my sus.   333464  - that is the part that originated with the S2A military models that were 12 volt  (although I think 24 volt also, I would have to check,  IIRC tubs exactly the same) - certainly Rover 10 and so Rover 8.  From what I can recall - and I drove  109" from when they were new  --ER--   ,   the 2.1/4 pet.  (not all) had a reputation for oil consumption - generally 500 miles/pint.   In a convoy - not all carried engine L.O.   a supposition would be that this is how engine oil was carried with S3.   Late  (1980 on)  3mb engines were better but still on a graded piston assemby basis , improving again abt. 1984 (5mb)  ,  IIRC this is when the Solihull new engine plant took over but both ran together for approx. 1 year.  15W/40 oil was granted due to improved piston/ring sets.

49 minutes ago, ruxy said:

But ,  did your Rover 8 have this carrier fitted when in service  ?   As you are aware  -  the trend is to bolt anything on for extra show-glam.

Hi - don't know if it was fitted when in service (spent all its service life in Northern Ireland),  when I restored it, there were 'witness marks' to show that a bracket had been fitted there at some point. The jerry can holder mounting holes align perfectly with the holes in the  'rear bulkhead' so that is why I fitted one.

Cheers

Richard 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 64EK26 said:

Hi - don't know if it was fitted when in service (spent all its service life in Northern Ireland),  when I restored it, there were 'witness marks' to show that a bracket had been fitted there at some point. The jerry can holder mounting holes align perfectly with the holes in the  'rear bulkhead' so that is why I fitted one.

Cheers

Richard 

Do you have a photograph from cab side handy  ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153451400040

Here you go.  This is more or less what it was, though this one is for a Series 2 with built-in rifle rack.  The Series 3 ones didn't have that because, of course, by then, the rifle holders were of a different pattern.  The rubber strips were on the base to stop the can rattling.  I don't remember the legs either - I think, but don't quote me, the Series 3 ones were attached to the bulkhead rather than to the seat box.  But they were certainly a factory fit because I remember seeing one on a new issue Land Rover which is when I wondered what it was.

Not sure it's worth the price, mind!

Edited by 10FM68

Morning, Clive.  Any snow where you are?  Only up on the tops here and quite sunny!  Thanks for that photo - bizarre isn't it?  I can't quite see the attraction of having a jerrican stuck up in the middle like that, I must say!  But it is strange that the cutaway rear side panels to provide for jerrican stowage on LWB Land Rovers took so long to be adopted given the obvious space just dying to be used from the outset. As you know, quite a few units permitted the insertion of stowage boxes there long before they became part of the specification.  I wonder whether any other units followed the SAS practice of having 1 gallon oil tins mounted under the bonnet as, at least some of, the PPs had.

4 hours ago, 64EK26 said:

Hi - Not to hand, will post one later in the week, but this is the type I have (never seen one with legs on before)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195905929538

Cheers

Richard

Seller claims - rifle holder also ,  I can't see how ?  The other one on Ebay - that Italian seller has items listed for years at £ prices they will never sell,  like a LWT underbonnet toolbox , however that long ley type  - I can see the very basic small arms clips for leather liners.  Actually the one by UK seller - that would be a nice item to have but not at that £ price.  Incidently - late last year I decided to remove the tub strut for Jerry on my Rover 10  , and obtain all bits for conversion to civvy spec. spare wheel mount in tub, the £ for all individual bits was exhorbitant , in the end I did by a full kit of used parts and it cost me  £80  (all Rover parts prices , used seem to have climbed these last few years, noting I want is  £ cheap any longer).  A good used galv. but genuine tub rear corner angle cost me £15+  , it's just I want to give a re-spray this year.

8 hours ago, fv1609 said:

Bit of snow yesterday, gave me some useful scatter to my signals on 10GHz that got me over the mountains previously called the Brecon Beacons!

Well, hip revision op tomorrow week, so, if everything's successful, I'll climb the Fan later this summer!  You coming?  

56 minutes ago, 10FM68 said:

Yes, but he also says it's for a Lightweight and I never saw one on a Lightweight.

I have never seen one on a Lightweight and I have viewed 1000's at auctions &  MVS ,  use of  LWT  it's a regular ploy to double the  £ asking for parts.    Only at the right £ asking would I buy it for my Rover 10 and mount it inside the tub.  However - it does seem specific S3  & the long leg type seems just too numb to bolt-on anywhere.