Historians my B@m

Mark

Grrrrrrrr! so angry, just been on the news 18:55 Tuesday 30th Oct 2007, one historian says that the Battle of Britain should be reassessed as the pilots could not shoot straight and they are not heroes, where do these people come from, and we pay their blinking wages. :angry:

Saw it in the paper, all the pilots were certainly heroic but apart from the pre war regular and AAF pilots it is certainly true that they were rushed into squadrons with totally inadequate training. Read any of the books written by pilots of the period , they all make comments along the lines of ' new pilots could barely fly the aircraft let alone fight', 'opening fire well out of range and spraying bullets all over the sky'. The historian in question also had a lot more to say claiming radar etc was not very good and the government was engaged in a huge PR exercise. What he does not appear to do is to lay the blame on the real culprits, the pre- war government who stuck their heads in the sand and refused to see all the evidence of war being just over the horizon.

Its true the pilots on the Allied side were undertrained and used out of date methods ...... But I 'd still judge them as very brave and they did the best they could with what they had !!!! I can't fault them , its only in hind sight we learned how mis- matched they were . It's amazing how well they did, how fast they learned the lessons and turned the tables on the Germans .

I read an excellent autobiography of a Spit pilot who freely confessed that, during a dog-fight, he never knew what the hell was going on, where he was and sometimes never got close enough to anything to fire his guns.

Still a hero to me, for both his actions and his honesty!

Will look out the title if anyones interested.

Degsy, of course the Government was talking things up, you don't say in the middle of a war 'Yes well our secret weapon is c***'. the idea was put about that RAF crews eat lot's of carrots as they improve night vision. My mother always said this till she died, it actually has a basis in truth. People who deal in statistics , so many rounds expended per aircraft shot down etc can never be wrong, they manipulate the figure to prove what they want. Doesn't dietract one jot from the men and women who went out and used the equipment learned and improved it, sometimes giving their lives to gain the information. So I suggest our bean counter gets a large tin of Heinz and stuffs it............... When all said and done, the RAF held the Luftwaffe off.

Some of these jumped up historians have less brain cells than your average patato. Sorry if any patato are offended. Before any of these so called historians spout there idiotic talk maybe they should sit down and think about all the familys that lost loved one during the B.O.B :angry:

I have alway been tought to think before I speak and maybe some of them should do the same.

Time for a lay down.