Someone likes you Brits ;-)

Panzer_peter

And it's displayed correctly, too!

(most of hotels in Tuscany manage to fly the Union Jack upside down)

Once I told a friend hotel manager who is the only one to fly the Union Jack correctly and he replied that, as a Scout he knows by heart the chapter od Scouting for Boys dealing with the topic....

Andrea

Pardon me for being a little thick perhaps but , the flag being flown looks symmetrical to me ???? How could I tell if it were incorrectly being flown ?

Do you have a similar signal or meaning if your Union flag is flown upside down ?

When the American flag is flown upside down , and thats very apparent, It's meaning is Distress or call for aid .

Pardon me for being a little thick perhaps but , the flag being flown looks symmetrical to me ???? How could I tell if it were incorrectly being flown ?

Do you have a similar signal or meaning if your Union flag is flown upside down ?

When the American flag is flown upside down , and thats very apparent, It's meaning is Distress or call for aid .

In naval signalling any national flag or sail flown upside down is a signal of distress. the other distress flag is the international signal flag V-Victor a red diagiagonal cross. bit of problem for Jersey as this was the flag. It is noe'defaced' by the arms of Jersy in the top centr.

We've seen quite a few stars on MVs upside down as well...

Marty

My understanding is that during WW2 the Canadians objected to putting what they viewed as a "US Star" on their vehicles so they deliberately put it on up side down. I have seen several pictures of these on WW2 Jeeps.

Tim (too)

My wife and I were married in Denmark and have always been treated magnificently. When my brothers wife wanted to speak german to a waiter - she was told politely but firmly 'You will get much further in Denmark if you speak English'

My wife and I were married in Denmark and have always been treated magnificently. When my brothers wife wanted to speak german to a waiter - she was told politely but firmly 'You will get much further in Denmark if you speak English'

So true David, so true.

The Danes have never forgotten the fact that the germans occupied us, and also never fogotten that the English liberated us.

We try too be nice the the germans, and they in turn, normaly try to be as nice as possible. But the day monty liberated us will never be forgotten.

I know the by heart, the words of the BBC radio broadcast, that told the danes that they where free again. And i was born 27 years after :-)

"Her er London. I dette øjeblik meddeles det, at Montgomery har oplyst, at de tyske tropper i Holland, Nordvesttyskland og i Danmark har overgivet sig. Her er London. Vi gentager: Montgomery har i dette øjeblik meddelt, at de tyske tropper i Holland, Nordvesttyskland og Danmark har overgivet sig."

Landsmænd, Danmark er atter frit.

"This is London. A short while ago, A report from Montgomery reads That : The germans in Holland, Northwest germany and Denmark, have Surrendered. We Repeat : This is London. The germans in Holland, Northwest germany and Denmark, have Surrendered.

Countrymen, Danmark is once again free.

they just lay down there weapons, and they where forced to walk home to the border. That is why we in Denmark have a joke about why the German turists always have bikes strapped to the back of there autocampers ! They dont want to walk home again :-D

:naughty: :naughty: :rofl:

Cheers, Peter

Peter the English don't do things like that :nono: In Jersey during the celebration of the 60th anniversary of the Liberation, teachers were told not to refer to German s, but 'Foreign Occupying Powers' :dunno:

Ok.......????? But why ?? They where a Foreign Occupying Power, but they where also German