What is the scope of an MoD base overhaul?

01CA81

Hell everyone,

Just curious how MoD base overhauls were carried out. Were major components evaluated and left in place of deemed serviceable or were overhauled components substituted regardless of condition?

I ask because my ferret has been though a very late overhaul with various upgrades such as the alternator conversion and 1985 rebuilt engine but it has a 1970 tag on the transmission which had me wondering. Of course this could have been a new transmission at the time of overhaul. 

I watched what a depot rebuild entails for helicopters but was curious about AFVs. Thank you!

Base overhaul, is refurbish to 'As New', Factory Standards. A Total strip down & refurbish of ALL Component's.

Major assemblies such as engines & Gearboxes Etc. Were Field Workshops repairs. A vehicle would come in say, needing a gearbox replacement. In most cases a replacment was fitted & the vehicle returned to unit. Then those major assemblies were collated into a production run strip down & assembly line. To Refurb those defective assemblies. To return them 'To Stock'. For further repair by Exchange. Or Refurbed & Returned to Ordinance Major stores facilities.

ABRO was a re-branding of static REME workshops, I worked in these workshops for a good many years and the last 3 or 4 were under the ABRO banner, until we were closed due to the High Speed railway going right through the site.. Our overhaul work was second to none at that time and nothing altered except to have a change of senior management from military officers. Anything after 1996 I could not vouch for though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Diana and Jackie said:

Having seen the "rebuilds of J60's", the "rebuilds of CVRT gearboxes" and after speaking to an ex army Helicopter mechanic in my street an ABRO rebuild is dodgy.

Without wanting to cause controversy, helicopter repairs by REME were carried out by technicians, rather than mechanics. Air techs were either airframes and engines (A&E) or electronics, instruments and radio (EI&R). I was a vehicle mechanic and just wish to point out the difference.

5 hours ago, Diana and Jackie said:

Having seen the "rebuilds of J60's", the "rebuilds of CVRT gearboxes" and after speaking to an ex army Helicopter mechanic in my street an ABRO rebuild is dodgy.

Having witnessed the work carried out by ABRO Donnington on J60 and TN15, I found their quality of workmanship very impressive. I see from other threads here that some rebuilds were farmed out, and that's where profit rules over quality

Being a bit dim I thought this question might be about UK bases generally rather than a specific item etc. All I know is that if you are ever at a Military base in the UK and it undergoes a major refurbishment costing millions, then its sure to close shortly!  If its a bit of kit or a vehicle, then it will surely get a new engine and gearbox just before it is cast next month

Who remembers the Combat Engineer Tractor?  One minute its a good bit of kit, relatively inexpensive, next a pile of junk, that's not much use to civi contractors. Surely an 'ole is an 'ole and the CET was just as good at digging. Also why is the Army swaps 100 old vehicles for a new super-dooper vehicle but buys 3 or whatever. Could it be the new 21st Century Army is no longer allowed to operate away from its Workshops?

These things have happened to so many bases and vehicles it must be more than a coincidence