16/10/1972 - Rainbow first shown on TV

PeterMacD

For all you real nostalgia freaks out there, the long running children's TV programme Rainbow was first aired on ITV.

Now children, everybody sing along...

Up above the streets and houses,

Rainbow climbing high,

Everyone can see it smiling

Over the sky.

Paint the whole world with a rainbow.

I bet it wasn't when you were a kiddy. It brings back alot of memories for me. Living in a cold damp council house, only three channels on the TV and one of them was only on for half a day. Power cuts and hand me downs. Reheated leftovers for tea. Toys that broke if you played with them.

No wonder the army was a doddle!

3 TV channels, what luxury! Back in the days when the Muffin the Mule was considered entertainmet for kids, Ah how times and language change. :dunno:

Ahh,......................yes, Muffin the Mule.............. :whistle:

Todays kids would think you were making a rude suggestion, if you mentioned you watched such a thing,.................and social workers would be trying to get you locked up...................... :dunno:

((to any social workers on the forum, this IS meant light heartedly. :-)))

Let alone, going into Captn Pugwash.............

or, for that matter,

Magic Roundabout............... 8-)

Ahh,......................yes, Muffin the Mule.............. :whistle:

Todays kids would think you were making a rude suggestion, if you mentioned you watched such a thing,.................and social workers would be trying to get you locked up...................... :dunno:

((to any social workers on the forum, this IS meant light heartedly. :-)))

Let alone, going into Captn Pugwash.............

or, for that matter,

Magic Roundabout............... 8-)

MAGIC ROUNDABUT :-D Now your talken. Supposedly the original was based on French Politicians, and the clangers and Ivor the engine, Noggin the Nog. Dangermouse., time for a lie down I think.

and Bagpuss!!!

The mice were just ornaments on the mouse organ, Gabriel and Madeline were rag dolls, Professor Yaffle was a carved wooden book end in the shape of a woodpecker, and even Bagpuss himself was just a saggy old cloth cat, baggy and a bit loose at the seams, but Emily loved him!

I think that's how it went!

Here's my old cat doing his Bagpuss impression!

Steve

And THE BIGGEST SPOTTY DOG YOU EVER DID SEE. :-D John you and I are going right back, Sparky with the pifco bulb for a hooter, Twizzle, Fireball XL5

Lorne Green as Robin Hood, roger Moore as Ivanhoe.

Lorne Green :? :schocked: Was this Robin Hood on The Ponderosa? :whistle:

I think you mean Richard Greene, incidentally just about every actor who went on to be big in British film&TV ,especially comedy, appeared in some of the 143 episodes.

Showing my age here, when I was young we only had radio, Dick Barton Special Agent was a national institution and comedies such as The Navy Lark and Much Binding in The Marsh......Aaaah, those were the days.

thank you nursey, is it time for my medicine now? :oops:

I digress. A famous comedian once did a one man show in an old folks home but no one applauded or took any notice so finally in desperation he said to one old lady "Do you know who I am"? "Never mind dear" she replied "Ask a nurse, she'll know" :whistle:

John.

thank you nursey, is it time for my medicine now? :oops:

I digress. A famous comedian once did a one man show in an old folks home but no one applauded or took any notice so finally in desperation he said to one old lady "Do you know who I am"? "Never mind dear" she replied "Ask a nurse, she'll know" :whistle:

John.

The old ones are the best ones John. :banana: :rofl:

AAHHH,

but you`ll be hard to beat Stingray with Troy Tempest and his side kick `Phones` with Marina.

Real people with real strings :-D!!

!!!!!!!! ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR !!!!!!!!

Ashley

Round The Horn; remember Sandy and Julian? They were two theatre queens "resting between engagements" and they had their own language called the polare (not sure about the spelling) which is how queens talk to each other like the cockney rhyming slang so nobody else could understand them, I once did a trip as head waiter with a resterant totally manned by them and I had to learn the polare to understand what they were saying. Cleanest restarant I ever ran.

I think Barry Crier and Marty Feldman were the script writers for Round The Horn.

John.