58 pattern kit

stryker

Maybe there was a Sterling pouch (as has been confirmed elsewhere), but in fourteen years (seven in a Recce Regiment where everybody had an SMG, so you'd think we'd be issued SMG mag pouches) almost exclusively with an SMG as my personal weapon, I never saw one.

I personally wouldn't lose sleep looking for them: even if technically, they may be correct, you'd be laughed at by a generation of us who had to cram our SMG mags into SLR pouches. Numerous years I represented my regiment or my subsequent corps at Skill-At-Arms meetings and even there I never saw an SMG pouch.

They DEFINATELY exist. I have a couple. I also served from 1974 to 1985. & only saw ONE in the begining of my service. They guy who had it would NOT sell it to me for any price! I really coveted that pouch, as I was a VM at the time. And as explained in an earlier thread, the inconvinience of carrying '58 around to vehicle to work on them in the field when broken down was a right pain. A belt with a twin mag pouch & the SMG alone would have been ideal. BUT, they were never about (Not even in surplus stores whilst on leave!) I have a suspicion that they were made for 'The Regiment' as the susspension loops at the rear are same as an S.A.S belt rig set of pouches. PERHAPS Neil can confirm this? :cool2:

These days, these pouches are of a 'Collectable' status. (When you can find one!)

:coffee:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help there I'm afraid - my time belt kit WAS 58 pattern stuff minus the yoke, poncho roll and large pack. We had the big bergens instead. Only concession made to stuff not fitting was to allow us to use US ammo pouches (for the M16 IIRC) that took 2 x loaded SLR mags and didn't allow them to rattle when moving - and we had to purchase those ourselves.

Only time we used the SMG was for covert ops training - or the annual Ryal Academy parade - and then it was the silenced version. I never caried the SMG in the field. ever. SLR, M15 or H&K were the primary options.

do you have any pics of your webbing as i am gunna be making a 58 set up with US pouches aswell as the gucci set i am having modded.

although i do wonder if the sterling mags would fit in a US thompson pouch used in the early part of nam and SF operations as they are of the 2 double stack type

do you have any pics of your webbing as i am gunna be making a 58 set up with US pouches aswell as the gucci set i am having modded.

although i do wonder if the sterling mags would fit in a US thompson pouch used in the early part of nam and SF operations as they are of the 2 double stack type

Unfortunately not - you need to bear in mind that in those days camera's were very much a taboo thing where 21 was concerned. The few pic's I have got mainly come from work days up at the Duke of Yorks with a very, very,few sprinkled in where I had prior permission from the O/C.

Unfortunately not - you need to bear in mind that in those days camera's were very much a taboo thing where 21 was concerned. The few pic's I have got mainly come from work days up at the Duke of Yorks with a very, very,few sprinkled in where I had prior permission from the O/C.

ah np its just i got some from from a guy whos dad/grandpa was in oman but they were edited by him with the "SF block" but all i needed was some better pics of webbing

theres some F1 pouches on sale on ebay at the moment no link (don't know how) but I put Sterling SMG in and these came up.

Barry

You mean these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Australian-Army-F1-SMG-Magazine-Pouch_W0QQitemZ220409386122QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item220409386122&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Seller only has the one - so some one will be very lucky!! :)

There is also this item:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Australian-Vietnam-F1-Sterling-SMG-Kit-Unissued_W0QQitemZ370196557622QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item370196557622&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

SMG mag pouch and cleaning rod and action brush currently at £12.50

Added:

Looking at the other items the seller is advertising ther is another pouch up for grabs. Also some SLR stuff - but it's all labelled as L2A1 -which is the designation for the Trilux sight... Did the Aussies redesignate the SLR or is this a error by the seller

Edited by ArtistsRifles