58 pattern kit

stryker

Yeah he'll have offenders doubling about in full kit with rifle over the head. :cool2:

Oh, the temptation :evil:

Are you heading for Military Mayhem then?

Regrettably not, work's gotten in the way. Ye gods, I HATE shift work :(

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I presume '58 webbing was developed in 1958 ...

I have always assumed so.

did it have to wait for Battledress to disappear in the early 1960's before it came in to use or was there a time when it was worn in place of WW2 style webbing with brown '49 Battledress? Any photos anyone?

58 pattern was barely preceded by 57 pattern, intended for jungle wear over the top of green denims which were subsequently made of DPM as the first combats as we now know them.

I am guessing that the revised 58 pattern simply took the place of 57 pattern in non-jungle environments. And presumably by 1958, webbing for wear in combat was worn over cheap denim rather than expensive BD which was reserved for in-barracks wear only.

But it is just a guess

• 6 months later...
APPRECIATED! on a random my dad was in the R.M.P in 1951 to 1953 and wore canadian green battledress any one any ideas where i can get a large blouse?

They occasionally turn up on e-bay,the problem will be how large

Ashley

Dirty books? Shock horror. If James is looking at dirty books, I'd prefer not to know....Do they teach that sort of stuff in the Air Training Corps?

I thought it was all aircraft recognition and drill.

M

never came across that

1116 woodley sqn A.T.C 1983-88:-D:yay:

• 4 weeks later...
could you do me a massive favour and post some pics so i know what i'm looking for!!

ta

james

No probs, These are ideal for a crew belt kit in an AFV. A couple of mags with an SMG is adequte for self defence in a Hurry! Much easier also when working on a vehicle. you dont have all the inconvienience of a full set of 58' with the associated weight & bulk getting in the way!

These are a decendant of the '44 patt Webbing. they were identical but in the lighter shade of green web for the Sten. The '58 patt is identical but in the Dark green web & obviously dated with Postwar dates. :coffee:

Was there a dedicated sterling smg ammo pouch in 58' pattern webbing?

Maybe there was a Sterling pouch (as has been confirmed elsewhere), but in fourteen years (seven in a Recce Regiment where everybody had an SMG, so you'd think we'd be issued SMG mag pouches) almost exclusively with an SMG as my personal weapon, I never saw one.

I personally wouldn't lose sleep looking for them: even if technically, they may be correct, you'd be laughed at by a generation of us who had to cram our SMG mags into SLR pouches. Numerous years I represented my regiment or my subsequent corps at Skill-At-Arms meetings and even there I never saw an SMG pouch.